Forecasting The Next ORU Men's Basketball Coach

Old Titan

In perhaps the only positive development to come out of Scott Sutton's firing so far, it's great to have Rob, Tim and a cast of other "old timers" back in the conversation again.

Lord knows everyone else is no doubt sick to death of seeing (what must have felt like) every other post the past couple of years coming from me and "theeagleman5".

• Upvote 2

Do we have news about those 40 applicants or the 10 we need to look closely at? Inquiring minds has a need to know.

Nothing. They are keeping the lid on any news. I have to think that two names are being considered (Rod Perry and Kyan Brown) in addition to others we don't know about. Mike Carter indicated that he hoped to have a decision made by the end of the month - which is next Friday. I hope they don't wait until then to make the announcement. Friday is when you make an announcement so that it gets 'lost' in the weekend activity.

My gut tells me it's gonna be Perry....lots of ORU social media activity for the "temporary" coach the last couple of weeks....seems like a plan to get his name out there before they make him the new face of ORU basketball.

and if it is Rod, we may never know who those "big names" were.....or even if they existed....

16 hours ago, ORUIllini said:

My gut tells me it's gonna be Perry....lots of ORU social media activity for the "temporary" coach the last couple of weeks....seems like a plan to get his name out there before they make him the new face of ORU basketball.

and if it is Rod, we may never know who those "big names" were.....or even if they existed....

Safe to say that Perry is likely the impetus behind all that social media campaigning?

I mean, the managers who appear to be doing the tweets and such work for him right now, correct?  Would they be putting anything out there that he didn't at least approve, and/or initiate?

2 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Safe to say that Perry is likely the impetus behind all that social media campaigning?

I mean, the managers who appear to be doing the tweets and such work for him right now, correct?  Would they be putting anything out there that he didn't at least approve, and/or initiate?

This is sort of what I was thinking. It could be that Perry is behind all the Social Media activity and is trying to use it to help his chances at getting the job.

Also, based on the social media activity, I don't think I would mind him being named head coach. However, it certainly wouldn't "win the press conference."

8 minutes ago, Idig32 said:

However, it certainly wouldn't "win the press conference."

It wouldn't but I am more concerned about winning Summit League games in January - March.

• Upvote 3

i always assumed the the SIDs maintain the team twitter feeds.  why would you turn that over to a team manager?

the increased activity might just be an attempt to put a better spotlight on the program after all the horrible press coverage the last week or so.

Long-time fan, new to the board.  Username says it all.  Sign me up for Kyan Brown.  Enjoyed watching him play and he was always gracious to my kids at the ORU Basketball Camps.  Not sure what kind of head coach he would be, but I think he would represent our great university well.  

I think it comes down to him and Perry.  Cant say that I'm impressed with Perry's resume.  I find it amusing that everyone, including the AD in the press conference and Ben Johnson in the newspaper, refuse to mention his record as a HEAD COACH at Avila University (NAIA).  I believe he only had two winning seasons in seven years and a losing record.  THEN, his one year record here as an assistant is 8-22.  Not sure I can jump on board with that!

I'll take a front row seat on the Brown Bandwagon! :grinning-smiling-eyes:

58 minutes ago, brownbandwagon said:

Long-time fan, new to the board.  Username says it all.  Sign me up for Kyan Brown.  Enjoyed watching him play and he was always gracious to my kids at the ORU Basketball Camps.  Not sure what kind of head coach he would be, but I think he would represent our great university well.  

I think it comes down to him and Perry.  Cant say that I'm impressed with Perry's resume.  I find it amusing that everyone, including the AD in the press conference and Ben Johnson in the newspaper, refuse to mention his record as a HEAD COACH at Avila University (NAIA).  I believe he only had two winning seasons in seven years and a losing record.  THEN, his one year record here as an assistant is 8-22.  Not sure I can jump on board with that!

Thank you, Close-Relative-Of-Kyan's!!  :rofl:

1 hour ago, ORUalum said:

i always assumed the the SIDs maintain the team twitter feeds.  why would you turn that over to a team manager?

the increased activity might just be an attempt to put a better spotlight on the program after all the horrible press coverage the last week or so.

I guess it's possible a Media Relations type who focuses on men's basketball could be in charge of the "ORU Basketball" twitter account, but either way I would wager that not much (anything?) gets tweeted under that account without the approval of the coach, interim or otherwise.

1 hour ago, brownbandwagon said:

Where'd you find the info on Perry's stint at Avila university? I've been looking all over and can't find it. I think Perry would suit the university perfectly, but I want to see how he did as a head coach before I jump on board with him. 

My concern with Kyan Brown is not that he is a nice guy or knows the University, it is because he was part of the coaching staff when this program was tanking.  As someone else previously posted, he had a front row seat when we started our slide and that deeply concerns me.  In the end, I do not care if the next HC has ever stepped foot on our campus, what I do want is someone who knows how to recruit, develop and coach our kids into a championship team both in the Summit and at tournament time.  Even if we get someone who has three highly successful years and then gets offers to go elsewhere, as long as he is building a quality winning program I do not care.  We can deal with that issue if or when it ever becomes an issue.  As for the next HC knowing our University because he has had some type of contact with it, that does not impress me.  In the end, if someone wants to come here and be the HC, he has to know that this is ORAL ROBERTS UNIVERSITY, not Tulsa or OSU or OU. 

BTW I too would like to know the 411 on Coach Perry at Avila.  I like what he has done in the short time he has been with the kids, but I do not know enough about his approach to the Xs and Os and how to coach/run a program.   In the end, that is why we have a committee doing the search.  I pray they get us a winner.   

• Upvote 2

I can't make a case against Kyan Brown, other than it would seem like somewhat of a let down after Carter throws out the whole "10 big names" thing at the press conference...I would feel the same way if Perry is chosen as the guy...

I can't help but wonder if Kyan left because of the whole relationship between Scott and Billy...seeing how strained it was and maybe even thinking that Scott's days were numbered and that he himself might be out of a job if Sutton were let go...what kind of bothers me is where he went....I mean one of your conference rivals? can someone clue me in on how big of a step up it is to go from an assistant at ORU to an assistant at NDSU? Kind of seems like a strange move to leave your alma mater and the coach you not only played for but who was also an important coaching mentor for a rival...

• Upvote 1

Perry 91-115?...no thanks....Brown might be a nice guy but he was part of a losing staff....change is needed....lets clean house....bring in a young aggressive asst from a winning program....MAKE ORU BASKETBALL GREAT AGAIN!!!...:eagles:

• Upvote 1

Not a relative, but with the names that I've heard he's the guy that I would like to have. I found Perry's info on the Avila website. I see it has been posted  above. That win-loss number at Avila Is very concerning to me.

I do not know Kyan personally but you would have to think that maybe he left because there was no way for him to be promoted as the next head coach if he would've stayed here. Maybe it's one of those things that you have a better chance if you leave and go somewhere else to eventually come back.  Those were my thoughts when Hankins left several years ago. I could be totally wrong though. 

I would think that our "big names" would have to be Crutchfield and Corey Williams. I also read in the paper that there were a few big 12 assistants that had applied.  However, I don't believe we will ever know the names of other candidates except for the one that is hired. They seem to be pretty tight lipped on this whole search.

• Upvote 1