Next Years Schedule

orumbb_insider

Good catch Alum. At first glance my reaction regarding the IWU game is that someone in the front office must owe the Cardinals bigtime. I assume we will fly to San Antonio from Ft. Wayne given the fact that we play in Indianapolis on Thursday, Ft. Wayne on Saturday night and now San Antonio on Monday night. If that is correct, what exactly will IWU be paying for a home game with us. Their "gym" seats a max 2K and their average attendance per game this past season in that "gym" using their numbers was approximately 652. At $10 per ticket their gate would be approximately $6,520 per game. How do you pay a D-1 school to come play in your "gym" with that type of gate? Secondly, how do we justify playing a non-conference AWAY game under these circumstances?

I can understand playing UIW if there is a return game in Tulsa next season.

But, the date makes absolutely no sense at all - trap game written all over it.

• Upvote 1

I can understand playing UIW if there is a return game in Tulsa next season.

But, the date makes absolutely no sense at all - trap game written all over it.

my thoughts exactly.  that game has loss written all over it.  no way you schedule that game unless you have absolutely no choice.  i still can't believe it took a last second shot from Glover to beat those guys in their junior high gym.

Playing  Incarnate  Word on the road in the middle of our conference schedule is ridiculous.....hard to believe that Coach Sutton signed off on that one..... :fubar:

my thoughts exactly.  that game has loss written all over it.  no way you schedule that game unless you have absolutely no choice.  i still can't believe it took a last second shot from Glover to beat those guys in their junior high gym.

Forget their gym:  they were a very capable team last year.

This is a real head-scratcher - perhaps when the schedule is officially released in the next  30 days or so, the date will be changed. 

Otherwise, you reap what you sow...

If in fact IWU is making a trip to the Mabee Center in the future, we are still coming out on the short end of the stick.  We played there last year and will again this year?  Even if they do come to the Mabee Center next year or whenever, it still amounts to a 2 for 1 deal and I do not see how that makes any financial sense for us.  However, I am even more shocked that we are playing them when and where we are as stated above.  By the way, if you go to their website they have us listed on their completed 2014-2015 schedule as coming to San Antonio, Texas on February 9, 2015.  Why did we agree to this???

As for availability of other games we could have scheduled, a quick look at www.basketballtravelers.com/game-schedule-board/?e... I found the following teams available.  Arkansas is offering guarantee games on November 14 as well as December 10-11, 20, 22 and possibly December 30.  We all know how short a drive it is to Fayetteville.  Even closer is Oklahoma State who is apparently willing to offer a home/away game with this year's game in Stillwater starting on either November 29 or 30 and next year's game on a date at our house to be determined.  They are also offering a one-time guarantee game in Stillwater on either December 20 or 22.  Missouri is offering a guarantee game on December 9 in Columbia.  Minnesota is offering a "large 6 figure guarantee game" on November 20.  And as for mid-majors, Dayton is offering a guarantee game on either December 6 or 9; Valpo is wanting a home/away series starting at Valpo on either December 9 or 10; and, Ohio is offering 2 home/away dates, the first being at our house on November 22 with a return date to Athens next year or a home date in Athens this year on November 19 with a return date next year in Mabee Center.  I should also note that Ball State, Bowling Green, Northern Iowa and Drake also have options posted at that website.

My point again is why are we playing IWU this year on that date and at that location when other options with more curb/fan appeal are available?  It makes no sense to me.

GO GOLDEN EAGLES!

IWU has to go....no way ORU should be travelling there.....if we do then our Athletic department is nuts!....TheEagleman has no problem if IWU wants to play us at Mabee.....but not on the road.....I would sign up for the home and home with Valpo in a NY minute....bring on the Crusaders!!!.... :eagles:

It's official:

The new @MGMGrand Main Event featuring @ULRaginCajuns @MKE_MBB and @ORUAthletics as well pic.twitter.com/K2o2oTxH5z

— MGM College Hoops (@HOOPSatMGM)

July 23, 2014

ORU presumably plays at Auburn and at Oregon State before heading to The Strip. 

ORU's two opponents in Vegas yet to be determined:  looks like they're still efforting a fourth mid-major.

BTW, anyone else chuckling at the name "Oral Roberts" hovering over the Sin City skyline in that poster?

And, anyone else find that assortment of local teams somewhat awkward?

I may have to attend, just so I can get a "selfie" with Frank Haith, Travis Ford, Sean Sutton and Scott Sutton in a poolside jacuzi. :party:

• Upvote 1

i'm assuming OK State and Tulsa refused to play ORU in the pre-Vegas homesite round as part of admitting ORU into the field.

i'm assuming OK State and Tulsa refused to play ORU in the pre-Vegas homesite round as part of admitting ORU into the field.

Don't know that for a fact; simply heard Oregon State and Auburn* were ORU's two neutral opponents, for whatever reasons...

*correction - see posts following.

could have saved lots of money for ORU on travel and i'd wager both OSU and TU would have better fan interest for an ORU game than for U La-La, Milwaukee or mid-major TBA (which i assume will be a west-coast school ala Pepperdine, UCSB or Long Beach)

"Upon further review"...

The only name among those four big boys that I actually heard about previously was Oregon State. 

Auburn was NOT in fact mentioned; but another SEC school was (who, obviously, isn't in this field).

Several websites, including nbcsports.com, reported in June that the Tigers are hosting Milwaukee and Louisiana for their two games, not ORU: 

Auburn, Oklahoma State Among Eight teams in November's MGM Grand Main Event (nbcsports.com)

So, is ORU playing at OSU or at Tulsa as part of the Golden Eagles road-game commitment for this event?

Or, is ORU one of the two mid-majors playing at Auburn, and those websites were premature in their match-ups?

I'm betting on the latter...

however it plays out, it would be cool to see ORU win the middleweight division in Vegas.  i'm assuming they would get a championship belt.  the MGM twitter feed shows a heavy weight belt for the winner of the OSU, OSU, Aub, and TU bracket in Vegas.

Finally, an exclusive first look at the @MGMGrand Main Event championship belt/trophy pic.twitter.com/TkFSs4aGIb

— MGM College Hoops (@HOOPSatMGM)

July 23, 2014

i certainly think ORU is good enough to beat ULa-La, Milwaukee, or mid-major TBA in Vegas to win the "middleweight championship."

this is really shaping up to be an impressive schedule (sans the UIW game) that the coaches have put together.

i certainly think ORU is good enough to beat ULa-La, Milwaukee, or mid-major TBA in Vegas to win the "middleweight championship."

Both Milwaukee (Horizon) and Louisiana (Sun Belt) won their respective conference tournaments last year - I'm guessing they might be pretty good...

Both Milwaukee (Horizon) and Louisiana (Sun Belt) won their respective conference tournaments last year - I'm guessing they might be pretty good...

fair point OT.  i guess i got carried away. :D    did not know they were tournament teams.

fair point OT.  i guess i got carried away. :D    did not know they were tournament teams.

LOL - as mid-major fans, must always remind ourselves you can't tell a book by it's cover.

I'm guessing the best of those "middleweights" could hold its own on a neutral floor with the "heavyweights" in the other bracket, but we'll never know - gotta play them in their own gyms, with their own refs, etc...

• Upvote 1

Side note:  ORU fans interested in attending the Vegas tournament might consider contacting OSU's and/or TU's booster clubs re: charter flights from Tulsa and group rates on rooms at the MGM Grand (assuming there would not be enough Golden Eagle followers to justify an ORU excursion).

Might have to put up with some obnoxious fans in orange-and-black or royal-and-yellow on the plane, but logistically it might be a great way to make the trip...