Next Years Schedule

orumbb_insider

Unless we pick up our game in the next year or two...I think perhaps ORU basketball might now fall into the catagory of a "cupcake" after our last season...I am sure that Coach Self would have no fear inviting us back to Allen Fieldhouse now..... :sweat:

• 3 weeks later...

@ Mo. State

"But it's not easy," Lusk said, noting the reluctance of major-conference teams to schedule home-and-home series — even 2-for-1 series — with the Bears or other teams from solid mid-major leagues like the Missouri Valley Conference.

Here's what is known about next season's nonconference schedule: at Tulsa, Southeast Missouri State and three games in the Great Alaska Shootout; home games against Oral Roberts and Eastern Michigan.

Hearing fairly solid info that the University of Tulsa game will be the season home opener on a Saturday night in early November and will, in fact, be Homecoming Night for ORU.

That ought to be interesting...

Hearing fairly solid info that the University of Tulsa game will be the season home opener on a Saturday night in early November and will, in fact, be Homecoming Night for ORU.

That ought to be interesting...

Ugh! That will be chaos.

The twitterverse is buzzing with rumors that Missouri State is seriously considering a move to the Sunbelt (with FBS being the primary motivation). Lots of talk that NDSU would be a likely choice after a nice NCAA tourney win.

if TU is homecoming then i would hope ORU would reserve large blocks of the lower bowl for alumni.  but if the lower bowl is half TU fans and a good number of ORU fans/alumni are up in the blue seats then I agree with TMH that it will look bad.  having said that, it would make for a pretty full house early in the year with TU coming off the NCAA, having a new coach, and losing to ORU last year.

Yes we should find a way for alumni to buy tickets for the game perhaps through a response to a mailer or something associated with homecoming registration prior to releasing the tickets for sale to the general public.

The twitterverse is buzzing with rumors that Missouri State is seriously considering a move to the Sunbelt (with FBS being the primary motivation). Lots of talk that NDSU would be a likely choice after a nice NCAA tourney win.

That choice would run absolutely counter to the Valley presidents who favored Loyola of Chicago when Creighton left, based on its metropolitan geography.

Hardly think Fargo falls into that criteria...

I heard from a word from a bird that we could be playing Mizzou and OU this upcoming year.

ORU never has a problem these days finding big-payout road games. 

In fact, they could play ALL their November and December non-conference games on the road for up to $100K-a-game, if they really wanted to (and they practically do already).

What I want to hear announced is a home-and-home contract, or a 2-for-1, or even a 3-for-1, maybe even the old "home-and-home-in-the-same-season" deal - THAT would be news.

Or (heaven forbid) ORU actually PAY a D-1 school to come play in the Mabee Center for a change...

In regards to getting the alumni to the Tulsa game for Homecoming, I know the University will send us a ton of info well in advance of the game. We need to just block out a couple sections of the lower part of the arena for the alumni. Actually, the University has done this for us the last couple years. I think a lot of alums (myself included) will be excited to see us play TU. It brings back great memories.

I also agree with OT about getting better teams in Mabee. Try calling Saul Phillips at Ohio and get a home and away. Then the year we play in Athens, get a money game with Ohio State. Fly into Columbus, play OSU then bus to Athens in a couple days (about 1 hour drive) and play Ohio. This would be a very cost effective way to do it. Or, call Duquesne University (A-10) and get a home and away. Then the year we play them there, call Pitt and get a money game at the same time. Fly into Pittsburgh and stay at the same location for both games.

I think it should be paramount to get at least 2-3 good D-1 teams in the Mabee Center in November and December every year, for season ticket sales in the preseason, and for walk-up sales the night of the game.

Some of the revenue from all those road guarantee games ought to be be plowed back into scheduling home games - the money from any single one of those half-dozen guarantee games each year could be re-invested in bringing in at least one good mid-major, maybe even two.

And, if ALL the guarantee-game revenue is being spent elsewhere at the EXPENSE of scheduling non-conference home games, then I think a re-evaluation of current spending practices is in order.

I agree. I know that there are needs across the basketball program, but not scheduling any compelling home opponents in November or December has a long term corrosive effect on the program. Without any reason for casual fans to attend ORU games in the non-conference season, we are never going to grow our fan base. It is like eating our seed corn.

• Upvote 1

I am excited about the homecoming ORU vs. TU game.  There will be a huge crowd and if we were to win, it would certainly launch us with momentum into the season.  I don't think I would like for it to happen this way every year, but there is nothing wrong with trying it one year to see how it goes.  If we do get the win, it would be nice since it has been all the way back to Caleb Green's junior year since we have beaten TU twice in a row.

I don't understand however why Missouri State would leave the MVC, unless it sounds like they are going to start a D-1 football team.  If that is the case, that would certainly be another opportunity for ORU to join the conference.  I don't know if their thinking toward ORU would have changed any since they added Loyola of Chicago, but we should at least again be in the conversation.

• Upvote 1

I am excited about the homecoming ORU vs. TU game.  There will be a huge crowd and if we were to win, it would certainly launch us with momentum into the season.  I don't think I would like for it to happen this way every year, but there is nothing wrong with trying it one year to see how it goes.  If we do get the win, it would be nice since it has been all the way back to Caleb Green's junior year since we have beaten TU twice in a row.

This.

I don't understand however why Missouri State would leave the MVC, unless it sounds like they are going to start a D-1 football team.  If that is the case, that would certainly be another opportunity for ORU to join the conference.  I don't know if their thinking toward ORU would have changed any since they added Loyola of Chicago, but we should at least again be in the conversation.

Not sure ORU was ever really in the conversation last time around...

• 1 month later...

since the roster has been pretty well pinned down, i think schedule was next on OT's off-season timeline.

here is the only thing i could find...

according to the Weber St message board, ORU owes a return game for the 2012-13 BracketBuster

I say let them sue us...LOL......but we are an honorable institution.....I guess ORU will have to play at Weber St next year......funny thing....back in the 70's ORU used to play a home and home series with Weber State and frankly we were the much better team back then....ORU beat them at Mabee in 1974 or 1975 I think and then we went up there to return the game during the same season.....we got hosed on several critical calls by the refs and ended up losing a close game......I remember OR saying after that game in the newspaper that ORU would never go back to Weber State and I don't think that we have.......but now that Oral is gone, I guess it's OK....after all....that was about 40 years ago.... :nerd:

since the roster has been pretty well pinned down, i think schedule was next on OT's off-season timeline.

here is the only thing i could find...

according to the Weber St message board, ORU owes a return game for the 2012-13 BracketBuster

ORU had to trek out to Ogden, UT a couple of weeks after that BracketBuster game to get their a$$ kicked by Weber State in the quarterfinals of the CollegeInsider.com tournament.

In my mind, that settles the debt.

• Upvote 1