Next Years Schedule

orumbb_insider

It may be pre mature, however based on previous years who do you think the team will schedule for next years non confrence play.

I've noticed that we always play a Big 12 school. If I were to guess I would probably guess Iowa state, Northwestern or Texas.

Possibly: Florida or Kentucky out of the SEC

Henderson will be a senior so possible a team out of Arkansas: UALR, Arkansas State or possibly Arkansas.

Well one thing is for sure about next years' schedule....ORU will be very careful about how many non-D1 games we schedule..... :razz:

• Upvote 1

Can we please only schedule non-Division I teams for exhibition games next season!

Also, it would be nice to have some meaningful early season home games.....

I know this has been said before, but getting quality teams to visit the Mabee Center is very difficult. It usually means either accepting a three-for-one deal or paying the visiting team - which is not going to happen. In the past we picked up opponents from the ESPN Bracket Buster - which has been discontinued.

I know this has been said before, but getting quality teams to visit the Mabee Center is very difficult. It usually means either accepting a three-for-one deal or paying the visiting team - which is not going to happen. In the past we picked up opponents from the ESPN Bracket Buster - which has been discontinued.

I totally get that....and I wouldn't expect any big names, but couldn't it be possible to get someone from the Horizon, Ohio Valley, Atlantic Sun, Sun Belt, or even a lower team from the MAC or even Missouri Valley?

Those teams typically won't travel far from home (costs) and don't want to risk what their fans would classify as a 'bad' loss. Missouri State and Wichita State are close and the Dallas/Texas schools won't play (historically) because of our recruiting success in the DFW metroplex.

As for MAC Teams, I am not sure what they would charge but I do know that some of them actively look for high profile mid-majors to schedule for one-for-one deals.  A quick check shows that along with the Bigs, Akron scheduled Costal Carolina, St. Mary's, Middle Tennessee, Marshall, Detroit and ORU.  Kent State had several Bigs but also played Seton Hall, St. Peter's, Western Carolina, Youngstown State, Princeton and Cleveland State.  Ohio had several Bigs but also played Northern Iowa, Valpo, Oakland, Evansville, Mercer, Richmond and UMass.  I also know that the A-10, Mo Valley and Horizon all take a similar approach.  So, I think getting one-for-one with higher Mid-Majors is possible. 

Maybe Prairie View A&M will give us a 2 for 1?...... |(

Even if ORU could get a bunch of 2-for-1's or 3-for-1's, they're still going to go on the road for almost all their non-conference games.

Why?  For the money, of course.

Guarantee games are a significant source of revenue for the program; pays for things such as team travel, recruiting travel, etc.

Guarantee games are a significant source of revenue for the program; pays for things such as team travel, recruiting travel, etc.

More important now than ever.

TheEagleman understands the need for playing the guarantee games to raise funds for the athletic program but I agree with the comment above that ORU should still be able to get some decent mid major teams or lower mid major teams to come into Mabee Center and play by giving them a return game.....i know that there's a lot of politics, etc....but gee....we shouldn't have to keep playing non D-1 teams to fill our home schedule with 349 teams now playing D-1 basketball..... :nerd:

I know that schools like Ohio will play what I posted above as well as schedule a game with in-state rival Ohio State or West Virginia, Pitt, Kentucky and other Bigs. In other words, schedule 2 or 3 money games and then load-up with better Mids.

As I have stated before, in the past ORU could not get any of the Texas schools to schedule us because they see us as encroaching on their recruiting turf. Not sure if that is still the case. Another problem is that we are a bit isolated - which means more travel (and costs) for a team coming to Tulsa. It is not like back east or in Texas where the schools are closer and a bus ride will suffice. I am not trying to make excuses, but there are some issues that our coaches deal with.

I do know that we have moved homecoming to the Fall and that means we need an opponent (hopefully not D-1) to play early in the season.

I wish we could start a home and home with some 'like minded' schools such as Liberty University.

Yeah...Too bad we don't have any solid connections at Liberty!  : )

That's right....don't we have connections at Liberty now???....oh yeah...he hasn't even posted on this board in 3 yrs....LOL..... |(

Yeah...Too bad we don't have any solid connections at Liberty!  : )

Hey ORob!! Great to see you on the board!!

Love your avatar, BTW!

• Upvote 1

As I have stated before, in the past ORU could not get any of the Texas schools to schedule us because they see us as encroaching on their recruiting turf. Not sure if that is still the case. Another problem is that we are a bit isolated - which means more travel (and costs) for a team coming to Tulsa. It is not like back east or in Texas where the schools are closer and a bus ride will suffice. I am not trying to make excuses, but there are some issues that our coaches deal with.

I do know that we have moved homecoming to the Fall and that means we need an opponent (hopefully not D-1) to play early in the season.

I wish we could start a home and home with some 'like minded' schools such as Liberty University.

Most of our recruits are coming from Oklahoma, Texas, or Louisiana anyway, so they might as well play us regardless....and I would hope the opponent for homecoming is Division 1.....doesn't have to be big, I just personally think non D-1 teams should be left for exhibition.....certainly doesn't help the RPI by playing those schools during the regular season, and you never know, betting someone like a Mercer early in the year could help our RPI come March, if they go on to have a great conference season in their own conference....