Oral Roberts to Forfeit Two Men's Basketball Games

ORUalum

Does that mean we travel to Abiliene without knowing if we can play on Thursday or not? That seems rather strange.

That's EXACTLY what it means.

The travel expenses have already been incurred and are non-refundable at this point.

The team might as well head on down there to see if a game breaks out - nothing better to do....

from ACU:

And all that means is that the ACU men could be playing Oral Roberts at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Moody Coliseum in Abilene. But final word from the NCAA sub-committee likely won't come down until Thursday morning, which leaves both teams in limbo as to whether or not the game will actually be played.

However, both teams and the game operations team at ACU are preparing as if the game will be played Thursday night. That means the women's game would start at 5:30 p.m. with the men's game starting 30 minutes following the conclusion of the women's game.

They say the decision is being made at the NCAA Convention this week?

Then, I can assure you, the main thing standing in the way of that subcommittee decision is their tee times Wednesday and Thursday.

They say the decision is being made at the NCAA Convention this week?

Then, I can assure you, the main thing standing in the way of that subcommittee decision is their tee times Wednesday and Thursday.

"Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine".

Sincerely,

NCAA 

UVM’s conference — the America East — submitted a waiver to the Subcommittee for Legislative Relief late Sunday after news broke of teams in the Southland Conference forfeiting games to avoid breaking NCAA Bylaw 20.9.8.1, which prohibits Division I programs from playing more than four non-D-I games, including exhibitions and scrimmages, in an academic year.

Sean Tainsh, America East director of communications, told the Free Press the league anticipates the NCAA will approve the waiver by week’s end.

When it learned of possible violations among its schools, America East immediately reached out to NCAA staff for solutions to avoid a penalty of restricted membership. During a fact-gathering process, the league said it learned that this rule had been missed by a number of teams over the past several years and that those teams were granted waivers.

The league sought to avoid what “would be hugely unfair to our student-athletes who had no participation in this administrative issue.†The league submitted a blanket waiver on behalf of all the D-I teams impacted.

from the Burlington Free Press...LINK

The Burlington Free Press story has already been picked-up nationally:

Report:  Waiver Expected To Be Given For Teams Forced To Forfeit Games (nbcsports.com)

I must say, from a marketing standpoint, this amount of publicity can start to have a very positive affect.

Everyone in the basketball world learned this past week that Oral Roberts, Stephen F. Austin, Incarnate Word, and Abilene Christian are in the Southland Conference.

And, even better, the schools now do NOT look so much "dumb" for their scheduling woes, as they do "victimized" by the big, bad NCAA and its rules.

This story has had legs all week long, and with a growing tone of sympathy for the schools involved.

When it's all said and done, that's really not such a bad thing...

Sounds more and more like ORU will be playing a pair of games over the next 72 hrs.....let's just hope we don't regret it..... :sweat: