Oral Roberts to Forfeit Two Men's Basketball Games

ORUalum

ARE YOU KIDDING ME????.....how do we not know the rules???..... |(  :puke:  |(

Wow..... our home scheduling comes back to bite us. I wonder who missed this? Didn't someone on the board question the amount of Division II schools we were playing this year?

Gotta think that the league did not go out of their way to help us in this. Welcome to the "Southland Farewell Tour"

I assume that we will not travel to play those two games.

a quick look at SFA's schedule includes Ark Tech (exhibition), UT-Tyler, and Elmhurst.....will they be forfeiting a game....LINK

Ugh . . . 

Official Statement from the ORU Athletics Department
“When the 2013-14 men’s basketball schedule was created, we thought that exhibition games against non-Division I opponents were exempt from the four-game limit. Our men’s basketball program put together its schedule for 2013-14. The schedule went through the standard athletic department approval process that includes several administrators, and unfortunately, the discrepancy was not discovered.â€

You know when you join a D1 conference you typically can count on playing D1 opponents. . .  :envy:

Is that a volcano developing at 81st and Lewis? No, it's just the STEAM coming out of Mike Carter's EARS . . .

Tell me - were those games scheduled by the conference? If so, what business does a D-I conference have scheduling D-2 teams? The whole deal stinks - whatever the situation was.

Ugh . . . 

Official Statement from the ORU Athletics Department

“When the 2013-14 men’s basketball schedule was created, we thought that exhibition games against non-Division I opponents were exempt from the four-game limit. Our men’s basketball program put together its schedule for 2013-14. The schedule went through the standard athletic department approval process that includes several administrators, and unfortunately, the discrepancy was not discovered.â€

So I guess they knew, just didn't know the rules. Guess that leaves egg on OUR face . . .

a quick look at SFA's schedule includes Ark Tech (exhibition), UT-Tyler, and Elmhurst.....will they be forfeiting a game....LINK

With a quick look on ESPN.com, Lamar is the only Southland Conference school that doesn't have a non-D1 school on their schedule. MOST of them have 2 non-D1 schools on their schedule in addition to AC & IW. I'm assuming that most Southland schools play at least 1 if not 2 exhibition games, so how is this not an issue for everyone except Lamar??????????????????????????????????????????????????

I don't understand why this rule is not affecting other Southland schools, too.

For example, look at Stephen F. Austin's schedule:

11/01/13 vs. Arkansas Tech (exhibition) (D-II)
11/08/13 vs. UT-Tyler (D-III)
12/21/13 vs. Elmhurst (D-III)
1/30/14 vs. Abilene Christian (transitional non-D1)
2/1/14 vs. Incarnate Word (transitional non-D1)

That's five non-D1 games.

Shouldn't the Lumberjacks have to forfeit one game?

This is definitely embarrassing. However, it seems that games against ACU and IWU shouldn't count for anyone in the conference standings since they are not full D1 members and definitely cannot qualify for the big dance. That seems like a poor decision for the Southland to allow games against ACU and IWU to affect the conference standings. It doesn't make sense.

The way the first paragraph of the SLC press release reads, it sounds like ORU discovered the problem first and is choosing to forfeit the UIW & ACU games, with the SLC Executive Committee's approval, most likely to avoid some unstated NCAA reprisal for the gaffe, such as loss of scholarships, NCAA tournament bans for all ORU teams, etc.

But if that's the case, why not forfeit the Cameron and Dallas Baptist games instead, and not lose the two games in the SLC standings?

Is this a case of the SLC grasping an opportunity to stick it to ORU while they had the chance?

How does the Southland Conference justify penalizing ORU 2 games in the standings without accepting any responsibility themselves for this disaster?

Do they not check schedules of league teams for compliance when submitted, especially when the league is the one forcing non-D1 teams down the current members' throats?

Do they not share in the blame also?

ORU loses two games in the standings to the other contenders, UIW and ACU lose the revenue from the forfeited games - what's the Southland's penalty for their role?

How does the Southland Conference justify penalizing ORU 2 games in the standings without accepting any responsibility themselves for this disaster?

Do they not check schedules of league teams for compliance when submitted, especially when the league is the one forcing non-D1 teams down the current members' throats?

Do they not share in the blame also?

ORU loses two games in the standings to the other contenders, UIW and ACU lose the revenue from the forfeited games - what's the Southland's penalty for their role?

this is on the ORU athletic dept....not the conference.  everyone else in the league (except perhaps SFA) seemed to understand the implication of adding 2 D1 transitional teams.  in their own press release the athletic dept said the schedule was reviewed by multiple compliance/administration people and no one caught it.  this disaster is on Mike Carter and his team in the athletic dept.