Oral Roberts to Forfeit Two Men's Basketball Games

ORUalum

Coming off a VERY disappointing loss this team has to wait 7 days before they can try and rebound on Saturday....now they will play Saturday and because of the forfeits have 12 days off before SFA and NWST come to town...if we have any chance of winning the conference and getting the #1 seed, this team better be hungry and win both of those games!

• Upvote 1

Can't get over how meandering the "official response" from ORU is:

1.  We thought we knew the rule, but we made a bad judgement call...

2.  No, wait:  "MEN'S BASKETBALL made the schedule - it's THEIR fault!!"

3.  Check that:  "several administrators" signed off on it, so, yeah - guess it's on us after all...

Sounds like one of my kids explaining why they're two hours late with no call home on a Saturday night...

Coming off a VERY disappointing loss this team has to wait 7 days before they can try and rebound on Saturday....now they will play Saturday and because of the forfeits have 12 days off before SFA and NWST come to town...if we have any chance of winning the conference and getting the #1 seed, this team better be hungry and win both of those games!

Great points - what a freaking disaster! 

Nobody needs 12 days off in the middle of their conference schedule!

I've never heard of a college team having to forfeit games THEY HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED YET.

Just another reason to get out of this Mickey Mouse conference as soon as possible. As someone else stated, what conference forces not one but two non D-1 teams upon its members. Good bye SLC, what a joke you are!

Very embarrassing for ORU, in not recognizing a clear error in scheduling.  However, this also casts light on a gaffe by the Southland Conference with their inclusion of games against the transitional D2/D1 schools in the conference standings.  I can certainly understand requiring each team to play them once, for scheduling purposes, but it makes NO sense at all to count D2 games in the standings of a D1 conference. 

ORU loses 2 basketball games due to poor effort and leadership.  Sorry, I thought it was the athletes I didn't realize it was the Athletic Department!

Geez....what a nightmare.....this season is going down the tubes quickly.......good bye Southland.....still hard to understand how our Athletic Dept gurus don't know the rules....agree with OT....why not just forfeit the DBU and Cameron games....TheEagleman is guessing that's not an option?..... :puke:

Well....this issue sure woke up the board.....we had maybe 5 or 6 total posts since Sunday....now we have a great discussion going....too bad that it took our Athletic Department to commit a colossal blunder to get everyone going......this season just keeps on getting worse.....baseball starts in 5 weeks.... :nerd:

I'm assuming that we can't forfeit the already played games (Cameron and Dallas Baptist), since the NCAA requirement is that a D-1 school cannot "schedule and play" more than four non-D1 opponents. Since we've already PLAYED the other four games, we have no choice but to forfeit the two Southland games.

Interesting, however, in that the NCAA will recognize these as "non-played" games (no impact to W-L record), but the Southland will consider them as two losses. The rift between ORU and the Southland Conference is definitely widening, and I don't see it getting any better anytime soon.

Can you imagine the angst and drama if ORU wins a championship in any sport this season, and the commissioner has to fake a smile when handing over the trophy to an ORU coach or Mike Carter? That alone would be worth the price of admission.

interesting...it sounds like this former SID is going thru everyone's schedules...

@bylawblog - in addition to Oral Roberts, found Stephen F. Austin, NJIT and Miss. Valley St amongst others are violating 20.9.8.1. What now?

— Jason Plotkin (@JPlot620)

January 8, 2014

Likely violations for NCAA Bylaw 20.9.8.1 is up to 5 MBB squads, 1 WBB squad w/little research done post #ORU disclosure @John_Infante

— Jason Plotkin (@JPlot620)

January 8, 2014

What, if any, penalties are there for violating this rule? Fortunately this was caught before we played ACU and Incarnate Word. The repercussions would be worse than the embarrassment ORU has now.

If I was on the coaching staff, I would try to use this situation to motivate the players by casting it as "the world/conference is against us". No sense letting this embarrassing event go to waste. Having a large time gap between games in the middle of conference play will not help.

Yeah....lots of practice time coming up.....maybe Coach Sutton can use it to establish a firm starting 5....and perhaps set up a few scrimmages with St. Gregory's...or better yet....Youngblood???.... :nerd:

If I was on the coaching staff, I would try to use this situation to motivate the players by casting it as "the world/conference is against us". No sense letting this embarrassing event go to waste. Having a large time gap between games in the middle of conference play will not help.

“You never want a serious crisis to go to waste.â€

Talked to a couple of people last night, including a guy with contacts within the Southland office, and here's what I found out:

1.  The conference feels like they did everything they could/should making schools aware of the NCAA rule in the spring and summer.  They did not, however, check the schedules for compliance as they were eventually submitted by each school.  (Which begs the question, "Why not?")

2.  ORU would be in violation of AN NCAA RULE by playing any more non-D1 games at all, even if they didn't count in the standings (which explains why ORU can't just forfeit the Cameron and Dallas Baptist results and play UIW and ACU next week).

3.  The jury is still out on what penalties ORU might have faced from the NCAA if they HAD played all 6 non-D1 games (I guess mistakes like this are so rare, no one I talked to last night was quite sure what the resulting penalty might have been).  The conference indicated ORU would definitely NOT have been eligible for the tournament in Katy if they had played the ACU and UIW games and gone over the limit.

4.  The conference is VERY upset that (in their mind) UIW and ACU are being penalized by ORU's mistake, in that those two schools are losing home games and consequently losing revenues, affecting their sponsors and promotions, etc.  The conference understands why ORU must forfeit those two games; they just don't like it and they don't like the negative publicity it is bringing to the league.

5.  The conference feels they are doing ORU "a favor" by letting them compete in the tournament in Katy at all, in light of this gaffe and the fact ORU is leaving after this season.

6.  The conference is "aware" of the SFA situation (five non-D1 games of their own), and is currently reviewing all men's and women's schedules to see if any other teams are over (or potentially over) the 4-game limit.  They said an announcement would be forthcoming, perhaps even today.

• Upvote 1

Geez....very interesting stuff....looks like ORU's decision to depart the Southland was a smart one after all......this whole situation is just dumbfounding.... :fubar:

You know, when you think about it, the Southland has little to do with the ultimate decision to play the remaining non-D1 games.

It's really up to the schools, and whether or not they are willing to risk NCAA repercussions by going over the limit.

Here's a thought:  what if SFA (or, ORU for that matter) went ahead and played their games with ACU and WIU, then threw themelves upon the mercy of the NCAA after the fact?

With all the confusion within the league from the addition of UIW and ACU, I wonder if in the long run they might just get a hand-slap. 

Wouldn't that be preferable to forfeiting two games?

In short:  has ORU over-reacted to the situation?

Wonder if we made an inquiry of the NCAA to find out what their reaction would be?