Oral Roberts to Forfeit Two Men's Basketball Games

ORUalum

Talked to a couple of people last night, including a guy with contacts within the Southland office, and here's what I found out:

GREAT post OT.  thanks for passing along the info.  this is why ORUsports.com is the best message board and has the most informed and reasoned community of fans.

It's official:

Southeastern Women, SFA Men Must Each Forfeit One Game (Southland.org)

I love how the league office is hoping to bury this thing by releasing it after 5:0opm on the East Coast, and by leading with the Southeastern women before the "SFA" (and not STEPHEN F. AUSTIN) men.

HOW ON EARTH IS THE CONFERENCE NOT TAKING ANY RESPONSIBILTY FOR THEIR ROLE IN THIS DEBACLE??

more schools potentially...if the problem grows, can the NCAA waiver the rule for one year?

@onebidwonders reports Maine & Vermont as add-ons to Bylaw 20.9.8.1 violators which include ORU, SFA, NJIT, Alabama St, Miss Valley St

— Jason Plotkin (@JPlot620)

January 8, 2014

The SLC should have told ACU and ICW come back next year when you are D-I, but until then no one has to play you in conference. Why do you as a conference let two D-II teams in as members in any sport? I don't care if they are "transitioning", until they are D-I they should not be a part of the conference! I seriously doubt that if the SLC would have done this ACU and ICW would have been scooped-up by another conference.

I also wonder why the SLC did not see this train wreck coming last spring/summer? Not that I am paranoid but I would really like to know how much of this was forced upon its members by the SLC just to accommodate ACU and ICW? Also, how long has this been known and is that a part of the reason we are bolting from the SLC?

Although we have some blame in this, I really think the SLC is more to blame from the get-go. Thank God we are soon to be done with the SLC. As someone else posted, from here on out we will get no quarter from the SLC. That is fine as I would rather be in a different conference then this joke.

Hey guys! Everyone enjoying this?!?! sigh

What a dump this is and one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Now first and foremost, in the long run it's on both of our coaching staffs and administrations for not catching this. But this is something none of us knew about, and obviously 3 schools in the conference didn't either. And I'd be willing to bet the majority of the other schools didn't either, and just are getting lucky they don't have these extra non-D1 games scheduled.

The fact that there are exhibition games that DON'T count towards the regular season but DO count towards this rule is absolutely absurd. Makes no sense. I understand that rules are rules, whatever. But the SLC should not count this towards conference play and future Katy standings. If ACU and IUW aren't going to be counted as D1 then they shouldn't be counted as official SLC games. I also understand the transition deal, and they need these games for their schedule. But they can't do anything this season, even if they win. So what's the point? Just don't count any loses OR wins against these teams in the SLC standings. This still fills out their schedule, nobody gets penalized, AND they would get the revenue they are now losing for not getting these home games.

sigh

I can't believe a conference would let ineligible teams play conference games. It makes no sense to me at all. Those schools are playing for nothing and could make up their schedule with an assortment of DI and non-DI teams. That is what Omaha did when they came into the Summit. 

I can't believe a conference would let ineligible teams play conference games. It makes no sense to me at all. Those schools are playing for nothing and could make up their schedule with an assortment of DI and non-DI teams. That is what Omaha did when they came into the Summit. 

This is how it works everywhere though. IIRC, UCA would have won the SLC in football during one of their transitional years. Not saying I agree with it, but there's nothing anybody can do about it.

This is how it works everywhere though. IIRC, UCA would have won the SLC in football during one of their transitional years. Not saying I agree with it, but there's nothing anybody can do about it.

Not every transition year is the same, in year one you aren't even considered as being DI. After that though you are treated like a DI school in regards to scheduling, you just aren't allowed to compete in postseason. 

The Summit didn't let Omaha compete in the conference until they were a counter. That ensured that bizarre rules like this one wouldn't come into play, it also ensured that league members wouldn't have to travel to play non-DI games unless of course they wanted to. Some members did play a game at Omaha to help them out but it was purely their choice to schedule them.  

I certainly hope you rule breakers get your mess cleaned up before you join our league. Once in the Summit league you can go back to losing games the old fashioned way.

• Upvote 2

|(  |(  |(  |(  |(

• Upvote 1

I certainly hope you rule breakers get your mess cleaned up before you join our league. Once in the Summit league you can go back to losing games the old fashioned way.

I know you're just here to cause trouble, but well played. I laughed.

Jackit, I know you are not trying to be careful and are certainly willing to risk the wrath of the board with your comments, but I am with ORUTex on this one. I laughed too, but just remember, "he who laughs last, laughs best." I enjoyed the rivalries that we established with South Dakota (did I forget the State? - too bad) and other schools in the Summit. There are liable to be several beatdowns in the years to come and we certainly are not coming back to end up on the bottom of the pile. I'm glad you still have a little spunk left to be ready for some more hard-fought battles.

"YOUR LEAGUE"???

Now, that's pretty funny.

Problem is, he probably meant it.

We're lost in the wilderness for 24 months, and suddenly we're a stranger in our own home of over a decade.

Reminds me of Odysseus returning home to Ithaca from the Trojan War to find his palace overrun by intruders, eating his food, drinking his wine, courting his queen.

If you're familiar with the story, you know he wasted little time slaughtering every one of them.

Just sayin'... :fubar:

Tom Burnett speaks and McNeese just dodged a bullet....LINK

excerpt...

It turns out McNeese State is the lucky one.

The Cowboys dealt with an unforeseen scenario last month when they had to cancel a scheduled Dec. 31 home game against Dillard University because it would have exceeded their limit on non-Division I basketball games this season.

Had ORU, SFA or SLU played the game, it would have rendered them ineligible for postseason play next season.

“There is nothing good in any of this, but we are reacting to an NCAA rule,†said Southland Commissioner Tom Burnett.

Burnett said league schools should have been aware of the fact Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word were not D-I games this season and adjusted their nonconference schedules accordingly.

“The long-standing rule is you could play four non-DI opponents,†Burnett said. “Once upon a time that was four regular-season games. They changed that to include exhibition games. How well that has been communicated by the NCAA to members is up for debate. Certainly we’ve spent a lot of time trying to explain that’s what this rule includes.â€

All of the schools facing forfeits had at least one exhibition game on their schedules.

Southeastern Louisiana was in the most unique situation, unexpectedly getting a non-DI game on its schedule when it faced probationary program Grand Canyon University in the Gulf Coast Showcase tournament.

“Grand Canyon is considered an RPI-counter because they play a full Division I schedule, but is not a schedule-counter,†Burnett said. “I think the tournament promoter, who was trying to fill out their field, convinced (SLU coach) Lori Jones they counted when they don’t.â€

In the future, Burnett said the league will be more active when it comes to approving the non-conference schedules of member teams.

“We’re not involved outside of conference scheduling. Will we have closer scrutiny on schedules in the future? I think that’s obvious at this point,†Burnett said.

“There’s a lot of rules in that 500-page NCAA book. A lot of things slip through the cracks and it’s not good for anybody.

“This was the fix that we believe is our only pathway. In the future there will be a very thorough schedule certification before schools can release them publicly or play the games.â€

Let me get this straight....  If ORU didn't catch this when they did and played the upcoming games against Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word, the punishment would be elimination from post season play next year? 

If that's correct, glad they caught it when they did as the punishment or damage would have been more severe.  Someone please confirm the punishment it wasn't brought to their attention and they played the games. 

TheEagleman likes the thought of going back to the Summit League next year and slaughtering all the competition....presumably with a healthy Obi, a beefed up Dederick Lee and the rest of this cast of characters.....ORU will fulfill this scenario in 2014-15..... :nerd:

For several years, I've just read the board & not commented. I think what bothers me the most is how when I re read the posts it soaked in how most of those posting were excusing ORU for breaking the rule.  This isn't the boy scouts. . This is an institution of higher education that is supposed to set an example by being sharp enough to read the rules & ask questions if they aren't 100% positive.  MAYBE I wouldn't be quite as irritated with the situation if they had just taken ownership, without white washing it. Then they should have realized how they hurt the revenue of two other schools  and reimbursed those schools.. This wasn't victimless. WWJD?