ORU-TU Game Thread

Old Titan

Some news and notes a few hours before the game:

Tulsa World Coverage Couple of good articles in this morning's Tulsa World:  Bill Haisten covers TU; his story naturally has a lot of TU perspective from the big comeback last year.  Jimmy Tramel's column from the ORU point-of-view focuses on Shawn Glover, with Scott Sutton again gushing about what an offensive force he has been the past five weeks in practice.  Which seems like perfect bulletin board material for whoever is guarding Shawn from the TU side, but I digress.  I'm not going to post the World articles here; time for everyone to break down and get that online subscription!

Starting Line-Ups  I will tell you that the starting line-up for ORU in the World this morning shows Jackson at the point, Billbury at the 2, Emegano at the 3, Glover at the 4, and in something of a surprise, Conley at the 5.  It would seem to be in keeping with this staff's philosophy over the past decade:  start your most experienced players.  Still, that makes for a REALLY small line-up - would imagine the first sub will be either Wilson or Henderson to give ORU some rebounding and defensive help underneath.

Why Play Now?  This is, of course, Installment #2 in the "Worst Contract Ever Signed" between ORU and TU for basketball.  Unlike last season, when ORU had to play their home game on Dec. 22 with their students all on break, TU should have a boisterous student section today, in full free-t-shirt "White Out" mode.  Still, was surprised to read Danny Manning's quote in this morning's paper, saying he "would rather play this game later in the season."  So, let me get this straight:  if NO ONE involved in this contract (which was devised by a head coach and AD at TU who are no longer there) wants to play the game this early in the year, then why, oh why, are we doing it?

The Odds Once again, scratching my head as to why Vegas can post odds today on games like Marist-Elon and Youngstown State-Eastern Kentucky, but has no line on ORU-TU.  How can they possibly have any special insight on Florida International-Kinnesaw State, but not our game?  Unless they just happen to know "the fix is in" on those other contests.  On the computer geek front, KenPom says TU -7, while Sagarin has it TU -3. CBSsportsline.com predicts TU 75-68, so the general consensus seems to be about a 5-7 point spread for the home team.

Looking Ahead  It doesn't get any easier for ORU this week:  Wednesday's opponent Kansas State stubbed their toe badly on Friday night, losing their home opener to lowly Northern Colorado.  It was their first loss in a home opener in 20 years.  Expect the Wildcats to come out properly motivated for the Golden Eagles in Manhatten.

lots of great info OT.  thanks for compiling the info.

Line up: saw that line up in the game notes and scratched my head.  only thing i could think was that Sutton did not want to burn early fouls on henderson and wilson until he saw how tight the game was going to be called.

"The Contract": this is a family board so i'll refrain from commenting.

The Odds:  Marist -- NY bookies; Youngstown, OH -- The Mob; FIU -- Miami/South FL bookies

K-State: more bad luck...kinda like WVU losing a non D1 exhibition just prior to opening with ORU a couple of years ago

Number 1 "Key To The Game" for ORU to pull off the upset: 

It's not rebounding.  It's not turnovers.  It's not free throws.  Though all those things are important.

It's shooting percentage. 

ORU needs to shoot 50% or better to have a chance in this game, and they need to limit TU to 40% or worse.

Easier said than done, playing on the road in your first game of the season. 

But, there it is...

These early season games can be pretty rugged from an offensive perspective. Hope our guys can handle the hostile crowd and play under control. I expect TU to double team Glover and really work hard to deny him the ball near the basket. We can't force passes and need to have the open man (Emegano, Billbury, Conley) make shots.

Geoff Haxton reporting via Twitter that Dederick Lee will, as many anticipated, redshirt this year.

Which begs to recall one preseason publication that had Lee touted as Southland Newcomer Of The Year for 2013-14.

Also, conspicuous in his absence regarding redshirt announcements:  no word on Word?

Pregame: Lee and Word were given the option of red-shirting.  Word wants to play this yr.  Lee and family want to use the year to add muscle to his frame.  Sutton still very high on both players.  Korey, Obi, and Shawn are locked into starting;  Singleton will push DJ for starting PG and 5 spot could change from game to game early in the season.

First media time-out, and the message from both coaches is probably the same, "settle down, and let's play our game." Lots of silly turnovers, and herky jerky so far.

We'll Jabar Singleton just checked in so I guess that means he's no redshirt.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Old Titan" data-cid="94157" data-time="1384125436"><p>

He never was.</p></blockquote>

Shows how much I know 😄

One of the most entertaining starts to an ORU-TU game I can remember:  coast-to-coast action, spectacular dunks, few fouls, athletes all over the floor.  Hope they can keep it up!

Wish I was there to see this in person. Jeff is saying that both teams look really good, and the game is really exciting right now. John Klein saying this is the most entertaining Mayor's Cup he's seen in a while.

Sounds like we're playing pretty good D too. Exciting stuff. I hope they can keep it up too, OT.

Surprising that both teams going exclusively man-to-man.  ORU forces a shotclock violation; TU pounding ball inside looking for mismatches.

Is this substitution pattern normal for Coach Sutton? Seems like lots of switching players in an out with no drop off in talent.