Nevada

Old Titan

I'd say the 'bias' is more towards East Coast schools than Power Six - though that is there too. Again, I understand that they want to sell tickets/TV advertisements - so I am not bellyaching about the seeding that much. Just an observation.

Seton Hall lost 10 of their last 15 games - including a 28 point loss to DePaul. Washington played in a very mediocre Pac-10 conference. SH beating NCAA Tournament clubs is a function of opportunity; they are going to win some of those games at home just by the law of averages. Besides, the Big East is overrated.

• Upvote 1

Technically you are correct about the impact of motivation, but it does seem that the seeding process was a bit slanted towards the Power Six schools. I understand that because they are trying to make the tournament profitable and get more eyeballs to tune in/attend. Seton Hall and Washington struggled because they are bad teams - or at least played poorly at the latter half of the season.

When the NCAA took over the NIT, I had assumed First 4 Out would become the First 4 In. I was naive enough to think Mid Majors might get some respect, rather than it being an opportunity for additional favoritism toward the Power Six schools.

Among the teams seeded ahead of ORU were Dayton, St. Joe's, LaSalle and Drexel. If any bias was involved I think it favored the A-10, not Power 6 schools.

I mean, Seton Hall and Washington were right there with us, thinking they would make the field on Sunday. They each won 20+ games. Seton Hall beat four NCAA Tournament clubs. They deserved high seeds in the NIT. I'm not sure how you can call them "bad teams".

It's the A-10 clubs that screwed us over. But, predictably, the outrage towards our low seed is directed at the evil BCS schools.

Naive.

Anybody else concerned that we have only played 5 games in the past MONTH?

Since Feb. 12th: at IPFW, Akron here, @Southern Utah, and two games in Sioux Falls.

Will we be really rested - or really rusted?

This was my concern in the Summit Tournament and it sure did not help to be rested there.

I agree that we seemed 'rusty' in the Summit League tournament given all of the time off over the last 30 days or so. And with our lack of bodies, it is impossible (and not adviseable) to scrimmage in game-like conditions. Let's hope the guys come out rested and rusted tonight.

Or it proves that the top seeded teams were disinterested and struggled to overcome less talented squads who were actually happy to be there. Which happens every year in the NIT.

The only real upset (seeding-wise) I saw from last night was Iowa over Dayton. Iowa hosted the game because of the First Four being in Dayton.

The two one seeds that struggled, Seton Hall and Washington, both watched the Selection Show thinking they would hear their names called. Those kind of teams always struggle in the NIT.

Overall I didn't see anything inconsistent from what we always see from postseason events that aren't a team's target destination. Has nothing to do with seeding mistakes.

Seton Hall had to sweat out two shots in the paint at the end against Stoney Brook.

Tennessee was nip and tuck with Savannah State until late in the second half.

Mississippi State was beaten in Starkville by UMass.

But, if you want to say Iowa destroying suspect-No. 2 Dayton in Iowa City is the "only upset or near-upset", be my guest.

Bottom line: the NIT has traditionally rigged the bracket to help insure only names familiar to New York City ticket-buyers (BCS, A-10, or otherwise) make it to Madison Square Garden.

Oral Roberts, Illinois State, Northern Iowa, Middle Tennessee, etc., do NOT fall into that category, and were hence given no better than 4 Seeds, virtually guaranteeing two road games to make it to Broadway.

Marshall, the best RPI in the field of 32, was given a No. 5 Seed - do you think the same would have been done if the best RPI belonged to a Power-6 team from the Eastern time zone? Doubtful.

But, if you want to say Iowa destroying suspect-No. 2 Dayton in Iowa City is the "only upset or near-upset", be my guest.

Reading comprehension fail. I didn't say that. You even used quotes when you misquoted me. Very funny.

I very clearly acknowledged the Seton Hall and Washington games were close, and gave my theory as to why.

I continue to be baffled by the blinders people put up when the A-10 is discussed. They are very clearly NOT a Power 6 conference, and yet three of their teams who were NOT on the Selection Sunday bubble (La Salle, Dayton, St. Joe's) were seeded ahead of ORU in the NIT. Take away those three clubs and there's a great chance ORU is a 3-seed.

But the A-10 isn't seed as part of some grand Power Conference Conspiracy Club, so that travesty is minimized, or even ignored.

Reading comprehension fail. I didn't say that. You even used quotes when you misquoted me. Very funny.

I very clearly acknowledged the Seton Hall and Washington games were close, and gave my theory as to why.

I continue to be baffled by the blinders people put up when the A-10 is discussed. They are very clearly NOT a Power 6 conference, and yet three of their teams who were NOT on the Selection Sunday bubble (La Salle, Dayton, St. Joe's) were seeded ahead of ORU in the NIT. Take away those three clubs and there's a great chance ORU is a 3-seed.

But the A-10 isn't seed as part of some grand Power Conference Conspiracy Club, so that travesty is minimized, or even ignored.

I WAS RE-QUOTING MYSELF, YOU FOOL.

Perhaps if YOU had bothered to more-closely read MY original post referencing "upsets and near-upsets across the board", you might know that - unless YOU are the one with the "reading comprehension fail".

There: I'm re-quoting YOU on that one...

I WAS RE-QUOTING MYSELF, YOU FOOL.

Perhaps if YOU had bothered to more-closely read MY original post referencing "upsets and near-upsets across the board", you might know that - unless YOU are the one with the "reading comprehension fail".

There: I'm re-quoting YOU on that one...

Fair enough. Although I still never said that Dayton v. Iowa was the only upset or near-upset, which you DID imply.

Well, of course the NIT favors power conferece and east coast teams, but I can't really blame them. The NIT functions like a bowl committee.

Seriously, if I'm running a consolation postseason tournament strictly to sell tickets at MSG and for TV, I would take Tennessee and Arizona over MTSU and Nevada. And Seton Hall gets a top seed by virtue of being the only Big East school in the tournament. I had no expectations of ORU getting special treatment with seeding.

I'm actually a little surprised we got to host this game.

But I hope Seton Hall wasn't seriously expecting an NCAA invite with the way they finished the season.

I think I started this Power Conference discussion inmy original post about the brackets. I meant to include the East Coast bias (Power conference or not) that seeps into most media analysis because they are more familar with those teams. Again, I understand and sympathize with the economics of including these schools and seeding them so they have a better chance to proceed to MSG.

My brother in CT called me Monday evening to say the local (NYC) sports media was bemoaning the fact that Seton Hall was left out of the NCAA Tournament. He thought it was hilarious given how weak they played in the last 15 games. The major media becomes an echo chamber because they all watch the same schools, etc. Doug Gottlieb is the only one who really calls them on it.

bucknell up 6 at the half. if that score holds and ORU wins the TV guys said ORU will get another home game.

lack of depth hurt ORU down the stretch of the season and in the second half. a very good season ended with a wimper in the conf tournament and the NIT.

an acl and 2 non-qualifiers ended up biting Sutton in the rear.

Nevada was the better team tonight.

thanks to the seniors that represented ORU so well during their careers.

Disappointing end to a great season. As much as I wanted Domo to step up at the end, I have to reflect on all the times he came through throughout the season.

This season felt like a mirror image of the 04-05 season.

Thank you guys for an entertaining season and I will see you all back here in the Fall.

In the post-season, the refs let 'em play. Few fouls called tonight, favored Nevada. They're a good team. We didn't show our best, but proud of the team and what they accomplished this year.

A bad ending to a great overachieving season.....TheEagleman is very disappointed but it appears we were appropriately seeded.....sounds like we played poorly in the last 10 minutes....had you told me that all 5 starters would score in double figures I would have thought ORU wins for sure....but alas, it's over....and a disappointing "crowd" of 2700......sounds like Nevada was just the better team...too bad because we would have been hosting Bucknell over the weekend.....oh well, we look forward to 2012-13....thanks to DoMo, Craion and Pearson......we had some good moments...... ;(