• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hoopsdude18

• ORUTerry

• Old Titan

• oruvoice

Great. Another Dakota school. Yippee.

Can. Barely. Contain. Myself.

I can understand you not being thrilled w/ the location, but, realistically this looks like the best the Summit could have hoped for at this time. USD will be competetive from day one and the fanbase, though not as passionate as the other two Dakota schools, will be in the top 5 in the conference, easily.

Beats the heck outta Chi State, UTPA or even Denver, IMO.

I'm glad to hear this news about USD. But it looks like they don't have a baseball program. Does anyone know if they expect to add one? Also, we still need another core institution (unless the NCAA bylaws change) to keep the 2014-2015 auto bid for basketball (only a one-year issue even if bylaws don't change since NDSU and SDSU would be core institutions by 2015-2016 season, right?).

Certainly the fact that they were already in the conference made a difference, which does make the Summit look a little silly for not moving on the UND site visits sooner.

I wonder if there was some pressure put on the MVFC to add USD in order to keep the other Summit League/MVFC teams happy.

Now we just need UALR to join and the NCAA to change their bylaws and we're good to go... except for the travel partner situation which is now a little more complicated.

2011-2012 - 10 team conference with USD replacing Centenary

2012-2013 - 9 team conference with USD but without SUU (only 6 baseball teams - enough for autobid but would like a buffer)

2013-2014 - ?? 10 team conference with UALR ??

If we were only going to get one of the two UND/USD schools, it seems USD was the better of the two geographically and possibly otherwise.

I can understand you not being thrilled w/ the location, but, realistically this looks like the best the Summit could have hoped for at this time. USD will be competetive from day one and the fanbase, though not as passionate as the other two Dakota schools, will be in the top 5 in the conference, easily.

Beats the heck outta Chi State, UTPA or even Denver, IMO.

Yep, when you can add a school with only one other "competitor" for interest in the entire state (and they happen to be in the same league), that's a good thing. Our conference tourney will continue to be well attended without a doubt.

All things considered at this point in time, this is good news for the Summit: makes the league more viable to other possible candidates, such as UALR.