Southestern Louisiana

West

Sam Houston State

Stephen F. Austin

Texas A&M - Corpus Christi

Texas State

UT Arlington

UTSA

Would probably make more sense to make the split north-south instead. It sure would be nice to have opponents within driving distance. And we would finally ge to play in the DFW metroplex.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hoopsdude18

• ORUTerry

• Old Titan

• oruvoice

Good points, OT. I also think we increase the probability of having alumni at road games. I like this idea the more I think about it.

Where are the alumni over the past fifteen years mainly from? Older alums were spread all over the U.S. as I recall. After they graduated, many settled in Tulsa. That hasn't exactly made our home attendance explode. Are most of our students now from Texas, Arkansas and Louisianna?

If our basketball program is to help our recruiting on a national scale, it makes sense to get around a bit when we play. If we are transitioning to a regional school (or have already completed the transition), the Southland may be a good move. If you expect alumni from all over the U.S. to start getting excited about another (similar, but different) no-name bunch of schools though, I think you are making a mistake. A move should be a clear move up.

It would be a huge move up for baseball... and I would guess a move up for basketball.

A couple of questions though: The author of the article is saying that schools like UTSA, Texas State and Lamar would leave? Based on what, and who is looking at taking them? The Sun Belt possibly? If it is based on those schools trying to move up to the FBS, UTSA and Lamar just formed football teams, and I would doubt Texas St. is ready for that jump.

The travel would be a lot better, weather would be more stable come baseball season...although San Marcos (Texas State), Corpus Christi, Beaumont (Lamar), and Lake Charles (McNeese) are still pretty good hauls, probably would be about the same as Macomb and Indy. Not to mention Hammond and Thibodaux, Louisiana (SE La. and Nicholls St.)

TheEagleman would prefer that we join the Big East or Atlantic 10.... :P

I have to think that outside of Tulsa or OKC the largest ORU alumni base is in DFW...no statistics to back that up, but an educated guess...and although most ORU alumni I meet in DFW that find out I was the mascot will ask me "oh...so how is the basketball team this year?" which always makes me want to bang my head on the wall, but still...it'd be nice to play in areas where alumni live - which is going to be more so in OK/AR/TX/LA than Indiana and the Dakotas,etc.

For some reason I seem to remember multiple people in the last few years shooting down the idea of moving to the Southland...? I've always thought it was a good move if we got the offer. I just don't think the Mo Valley invite is coming...ever.

Prior to joining the Mid-Con ORU was looking for a conference home but the Southland Conference did not extend an offer. One of the statements they made about why they didn't add ORU was that they didn't feel that a private school would be a good fit since all of their other institutions were public. I don't know of anything that would have changed their opinion since then except that ORU has had some success and we might increase the overall strength of their conference. My guess is that if UTSA and Texas St do eventually move to another conference (who knows when that would happen and where those teams would be going -- Sun Belt?) the conference might decide they want to stay at 10 members.

ORU and the other Summit League institutions need to focus on adding Denver and UALR. Those 10 teams (assuming SUU and USD go to the Big Sky) would make a nice stable conference located in several large metropolitan areas. That is an advantage over the Southland. The potential for exposure and growth in the Summit League is better than in the Southland. There is very little potential for an increase in exposure for the Southland conference when they are located in smaller cities in Texas, Arkansas, and Louisiana (UT-Arlington is in Dallas and Conway, AR is not far from Little Rock).

If NDSU and SDSU do aspire to be in the MVC, then my guess is that they would want to maintain their football affiliation with the MVC and would therefore need to stay in the Summit League for all other sports. I wonder what is the chance that NDSU and SDSU would jump to the Big Sky. If we can land Denver and UALR then that would increase the chances that NDSU and SDSU will feel confident in the long-term stability of the Summit League and would choose to stay there.

Prior to joining the Mid-Con ORU was looking for a conference home but the Southland Conference did not extend an offer. One of the statements they made about why they didn't add ORU was that they didn't feel that a private school would be a good fit since all of their other institutions were public. I don't know of anything that would have changed their opinion since then except that ORU has had some success and we might increase the overall strength of their conference.

From what I remember at the time, the president of Texas-San Antonio, who was Catholic, was not in favor of ORU joining the Southland Canference based on his opposition of Oral and Richard's ministry.

If UTSA is leaving the league, it would be a moot point (might not be a factor even if they weren't leaving, if he's no longer the president or if "the new ORU" better suits his sensibilities).

It would be a huge move up for baseball... and I would guess a move up for basketball.

A couple of questions though: The author of the article is saying that schools like UTSA, Texas State and Lamar would leave? Based on what, and who is looking at taking them? The Sun Belt possibly?

Somehow, it's much bigger than the Sun Belt. The WAC has UTSA and Texas State lined up and ready to accept a bid, according to Andy Katz

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... dition-wac

Prior to joining the Mid-Con ORU was looking for a conference home but the Southland Conference did not extend an offer. One of the statements they made about why they didn't add ORU was that they didn't feel that a private school would be a good fit since all of their other institutions were public. I don't know of anything that would have changed their opinion since then except that ORU has had some success and we might increase the overall strength of their conference. My guess is that if UTSA and Texas St do eventually move to another conference (who knows when that would happen and where those teams would be going -- Sun Belt?) the conference might decide they want to stay at 10 members.

ORU and the other Summit League institutions need to focus on adding Denver and UALR. Those 10 teams (assuming SUU and USD go to the Big Sky) would make a nice stable conference located in several large metropolitan areas. That is an advantage over the Southland. The potential for exposure and growth in the Summit League is better than in the Southland. There is very little potential for an increase in exposure for the Southland conference when they are located in smaller cities in Texas, Arkansas, and Louisiana (UT-Arlington is in Dallas and Conway, AR is not far from Little Rock).

If NDSU and SDSU do aspire to be in the MVC, then my guess is that they would want to maintain their football affiliation with the MVC and would therefore need to stay in the Summit League for all other sports. I wonder what is the chance that NDSU and SDSU would jump to the Big Sky. If we can land Denver and UALR then that would increase the chances that NDSU and SDSU will feel confident in the long-term stability of the Summit League and would choose to stay there.

NDSU and SDSU have already made their membership in the Summit League worthwhile for themselves with a trip to the dance. I think it would be hard to sell another probationary period in another conference when they have just finished one. They know that they can have some success where they are and have already proven it. I think that they will want to have some more of the same kind of success before they inflict another probationary period on their fans and players.

Somehow, it's much bigger than the Sun Belt. The WAC has UTSA and Texas State lined up and ready to accept a bid, according to Andy Katz

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... dition-wac

Thanks for posting the link Hoopsdude,

Seems like the WAC is desperately trying to stay alive. I guess getting Montana is the cornerstone of their plan to keep the conference going, but I really don't understand the point of trying to get Texas St. or UTSA. They would be placing hope in a school who has yet to average the current required attendance of 15K... and UTSA hasn't even played a game. Both schools have the money to burn right now, but the long-term plan seems shaky. The WAC would also be asking it's current members to hang on while the new members catch up. It might be time to just do all involved a favor and disband.

The WAC won't disband unless forced to.... way too much money involved. They are scarping the barrel though. How the mighty have fallen.

We may as well talk about it since it is going to happen. What do you guys think of an eight team conference? Benefits would be is that for basketball is that the fat would be trimmed in Centenary and SUU, those four games could be replaced with either better or more regional non-conference games. I guess with eight we have more money to split with less teams but at the same time anything less than seven means you can't receive an autobid in hoops(the number is six in other sports).

Sounds like Texas State, UTSA, Denver and Seattle are going to join the WAC. That leaves UALR as the only non-football team left in the Sun Belt and their AD has expressed some interest in the Summit. Maybe we could poach EIU from the OVC. I really don't want to talk about the other options like Chicago State, Utah Valley or UT Pan America.

Whatever the future holds you can count UND out....

http://waynenelson.areavoices.com/2010/10/29/summit-visit-canceled/

Canceled or postponed, I wonder.

Regardless, you do get the feeling storm clouds are building on The Horizon....and around The Summit....and down in The Valley...as far as The Southland.

And all sorts of mid-major hell is about to break loose. :rain:

Canceled, no doubt.

From a ND tv station website:

According to Big Sky Media Relations Director Jon Kasper, the Big Sky Conference will be making an announcement on Monday and it is "very likely" they will be announcing "additions" to the D-I (FCS) Conference.

On Friday afternoon, University of North Dakota Director of Athletics Brian Faison announced that the site visit by The Summit League, scheduled for next Monday and Tuesday, has been canceled by UND. Faison said the decision to cancel the site visit will be addressed on Monday.

Canceled, no doubt.

From a ND tv station website:

According to Big Sky Media Relations Director Jon Kasper, the Big Sky Conference will be making an announcement on Monday and it is "very likely" they will be announcing "additions" to the D-I (FCS) Conference.

On Friday afternoon, University of North Dakota Director of Athletics Brian Faison announced that the site visit by The Summit League, scheduled for next Monday and Tuesday, has been canceled by UND. Faison said the decision to cancel the site visit will be addressed on Monday.

Who's more furious right now: USD or NDSU?

I reckon the Bison - but you have to also think the Coyotes are wondering, "We went to all this trouble joining the Summit League for what?? :@