• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hoopsdude18

• ORUTerry

• Old Titan

• oruvoice

Southland just makes more sense, geographically.

I would also think it would help recruiting. We recruit a lot in Texas and a Texas kid might be more interested in us, knowing that they'd get to play in Texas multiple times each year.

I can't imagine a recruit gets excited to play IPFW, South Dakota, or IUPUI...

Very interesting movements apparently taking place. It sure appears that SUU, UND and USD are leaving/not joining the Summit League. At eight conference members, the league is susceptible to losing its automatic bid if other members leave. The counter is that the members get to share more NCAA money (divided eight ways instead of ten or twelve).

If ORU is invited to the Southland Conference, would we go? What are the advanatage & disadvantages?

Any move needs to be well thought out and considered. The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.... just ask Valpo.

The Southland isn't exactly The Horizon... there isn't a Butler or even a Milwaukee-Wisconsin waiting. The strongest team in The Southland is Sam Houston. The league has actually finished lower than the Summit in RPI the past several years.

The biggest boost would probably be in baseball.

Yeah, if offered we jump on that.

The Summit will need to work fast to find another team or two in ORU's region if they really want to solidify things. No doubt they are already on this.

I will say that playing in the Southland could garner more fan interest because the team wouldn't be traveling so far for a majority of the season. Not to mention the decrease in travel expenses.

The Southland isn't exactly The Horizon... there isn't a Butler or even a Milwaukee-Wisconsin waiting. The strongest team in The Southland is Sam Houston. The league has actually finished lower than the Summit in RPI the past several years.

The biggest boost would probably be in baseball.

Yeah, if offered we jump on that.

Less travel costs. More conference stability. Regional rivalries.

RPI is close. Remove ORU's RPI from the Summit. Add ORU's RPI to the Southland and the rankings might change a bit?

The Southland isn't quite the move I have dreamt about as a fan, but I can see the advantages.

In my mind the best case scenario is that we lose SUU and get the other Dakota schools. I'd prefer to stay put for another 5-10 years until we're legitimately ready to make a move to a Horizon or MVC type of league.

The University is focusing on recruiting more regionally than ever before. Competing in our own backyard could also assist in getting ORU's name in more of the regional communities of Arkansas, Texas & Louisiana.

Less travel costs. More conference stability. Regional rivalries.

RPI is close. Remove ORU's RPI from the Summit. Add ORU's RPI to the Southland and the rankings might change a bit?

Southland membership would maintain our annual upper-division contention in most sports, while reducing travel costs and bolstering our recruiting efforts in Texas and Missouri.

Honestly, what's not to like, should the opportunity present itself?

Good points, OT. I also think we increase the probability of having alumni at road games. I like this idea the more I think about it.

You guys know your school best so I won't chime in on this in that regard. I will say that it would be a huge blow to the Summit League to lose Oral Roberts, in my mind. I'm sure it could find a middling directional school independent or reclassifier to fill in but it just wouldn't be the same. I for one feel like this league has made some significant strides in the past 3-4 years. The top three schools are great basketball schools, NDSU/SDSU have dedicated fanbases, and the IPFW basketball program is coming along rather nicely. As with any conference, you have the doormats (UMKC, WIU) but the top 6 in my mind set up the Summit for a bright future. Again, I only look at things from a basketball perspective so take that for whatever it is. Would just be really bummed to see ORU leave, let alone for the Southland. I'm always a believer in sticking around to make something better instead of bolting for a different scenario (please note I'm only talking about lateral movement, if a current Summit school gets an opportunity to truly "move up" then by all means take it. Southland does not accomplish that, at least in my view).

Anyway, can wait to see how the dust settles with the new Dakotas and SUU.

Southland may be a 'lateral' move in some regards.

In other regards, it would be an improvement. The stability that we'd enjoy in the Southland, would be worth the move, in and of itself. The scenarios for the Summit League improving are very slim. The scenarios for the Summit League going down hill or tanking altogether are scary...

Here is a picture showing the locations of the current member schools.

SouthlandLocations.png

ORU would be the northern-most school. And the only private university.

More information about the Southland Conference from Wikipedia: Link

ORU would have the largest basketball arena with Lamar (10,080) at second largest.

The article states that Texas State and UTSA are leaving the conference - which would result in 10 remaining teams. Would the Southland be happy to remain at 10 or try to 'proactively' expand back to 12 in case Lamar or other schools leave?

Here is a picture showing the locations of the current member schools.

SouthlandLocations.png

ORU would be the northern-most school. And the only private university.

...and would make perfect geographic sense as a travel partner with Central Arkansas. :!: