What the Future Holds for the Summit League

Former SID

I fail to see any downside in this. Hopefully they take SUU with them.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hoopsdude18

• ORUTerry

• Old Titan

• oruvoice

Well this is what I got from a sports anchor up here in Fargo when I asked if it was a done deal....

It’s a done deal, the Big Sky just told me that they’re making an announcement Monday and very likely “additions will be announced” which means North Dakota, South Dakota and Southern Utah are heading to the Big Sky. Which means that the Summit League will stand at 8 teams fairly soon and it will be up to the Summit to act next.

I hope Douple had some other teams on the backburner... :D:D But somehow I'm doubting it. Why do I have the feeling that his fix may be a call to University of Omaha or another D-2?

SouthlandConference_100.png please.

Douple should give the Big12 Commish a call, and get a crash course on how to rescue a conference on the brink of destruction.

With SUU and Centenary gone our RPI conference rating goes from 23 to 17. With SUU, USD and UND to the Big Sky their RPI goes from 18 to 26.

Just some things to think about. If we can stick together there are no more painful trips and we can replace SUU and Centenary with tougher non-conference games, which should boost our RPI even more.

With SUU and Centenary gone our RPI conference rating goes from 23 to 17. With SUU, USD and UND to the Big Sky their RPI goes from 18 to 26.

Just some things to think about. If we can stick together there are no more painful trips and we can replace SUU and Centenary with tougher non-conference games, which should boost our RPI even more.

+1

FargoBison makes a good point, and it's definitely something to consider. I will just say that scheduling four additional non-conference games also has its downsides. Just look at any number of mid-majors and the trouble they often have finding opponents. There is also a chance that those games might have to be filled with lesser DI schools or DIIs. But who knows.

Anyway, another new report coming from a Utah paper saying SUU will have a press conference on Monday, likely announcing intentions to join Big Sky:

http://www.thespectrum.com/article/2010 ... om-Big-Sky

Douple has got to get the ADs to buy in to an 8 team conference. All of the remaining schools have to be willing to commit to staying put. Anything less than 100% won't be good enough.

The only way to ensure that teams would stay is to institute a prohibitive dollar penalty for leaving the league.

Eight teams is not enough. We need at least ten teams.

The only way to ensure that teams would stay is to institute a prohibitive dollar penalty for leaving the league.

Eight teams is not enough. We need at least ten teams.

I look forward to Douple adding Eastern Dakota State... I hear they have a historic basketball program.

UALR would be a great candidate. I assume that since the Southland will be losing 2 members, they may look at UALR as a travel partner to Central Arkansas. I wonder if and how soon the Sun Belt will show UALR the door since they are the only non-football school. It is also possible that the Southland will be happy with 10 teams and choose not to expand. If they do expand, it would probably be to 12 teams, not 11. If they pursued UALR, they might pursue ORU. I suspect they may just leave things as they are with 10 teams.

I'm glad to hear that UALR has had some discussions with the Summit League. They have a nice new arena and are a growing commuter school. If we could add UALR, having the 9th team would add some stability. Who would the 10th team be? Would Central Arkansas be interested? Probably not because the travel expenses might be a little less for them in the Southland, but possibly they would want to stick with UALR.

Sounds like SDSU and NDSU are happy in the Summit League and would only leave for the MVC (or Horizon I suppose). As long as SDSU and NDSU are happy, if we could add at least UALR, then I see the Summit League being in a good place and certainly not on the brink of destruction. Where are the Summit League teams going to go? I think the Summit League is in good shape moving forward if we can get a 9th solid school such as UALR.

Another thought -- the Summit League could also add Dallas Baptist as a baseball only D-1 member to beef up the number of baseball teams. Although even if no other teams are added, there are still enough teams to qualify for the baseball autobid.

Has the moratorium on new D-I teams been lifted at this point? That was supposed to last four years, but I don't remember when it started. In the past OCU was interested in going D-I and joining the Summit. I can't speak to the quality of their basketball program, but it's a school that seems to have money and desire.

Would make a nice road trip, too.

I'm out-of-pocket for one stinking day and the entire conference goes to pot . . . :o:doh::?:

I'm with you, bro! Haven't been on here since Thursday afternoon and the entire makeup of our conference and Kyron being misquoted brings havoc to the country's best message board!! :?:

We need Doc to develop an iPhone app for the message board!! ]:)

We need Doc to develop an iPhone app for the message board!! ]:)

Maybe we should all get Twitter accounts!!

Along those lines, I see over on the Bison board they've been keeping minute-by-minute track of this situation by following Terry Vandrovec's tweets. The guy is plugged in to all this, no doubt.