What the Future Holds for the Summit League

Former SID

Has the moratorium on new D-I teams been lifted at this point? That was supposed to last four years, but I don't remember when it started. In the past OCU was interested in going D-I and joining the Summit. I can't speak to the quality of their basketball program, but it's a school that seems to have money and desire.

Would make a nice road trip, too.

I was wondering the same thing about OCU and the NCAA moratorium... From ORU's perspective, they would be a great addition. Don't know too much about basketball, but they have an excellent baseball program and nice facilities

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hoopsdude18

• ORUTerry

• Old Titan

• oruvoice

From the Sioux Falls Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2010 ... 002/sports

Summit visit out for Grand Forks; Big Sky beckons

MICK GARRY • Mgarry@argusleader.com • October 30, 2010

The University of North Dakota announced Friday that it is canceling a scheduled on site visit from Summit League officials that was to have taken place Monday and Tuesday.

The move virtually guarantees the school will accept membership in the Big Sky Conference in the near future.

The move could influence a similar decision awaiting the University of South Dakota.

USD, like UND, has been had talks with the Big Sky Conference recently regarding an all-sport move to what is now a nine-school league.

While a timeline for a decision at UND, USD or fellow remaining Great West football school Southern Utah never has been mentioned, North Dakota's choice to dismiss further conversations with the Summit League strongly hints that the deal has been closed - at least at UND.

"It doesn't have a direct relationship with what we're doing," USD athletic director David Sayler said. "But the decisions of North Dakota and Southern Utah do play into the landscape of the decisions our board of regents have to make, along with our president Jim Abbott." . . . (read more)

UALR would be a great candidate. I assume that since the Southland will be losing 2 members, they may look at UALR as a travel partner to Central Arkansas. I wonder if and how soon the Sun Belt will show UALR the door since they are the only non-football school. It is also possible that the Southland will be happy with 10 teams and choose not to expand. If they do expand, it would probably be to 12 teams, not 11. If they pursued UALR, they might pursue ORU. I suspect they may just leave things as they are with 10 teams.

I'm glad to hear that UALR has had some discussions with the Summit League. They have a nice new arena and are a growing commuter school. If we could add UALR, having the 9th team would add some stability. Who would the 10th team be? Would Central Arkansas be interested? Probably not because the travel expenses might be a little less for them in the Southland, but possibly they would want to stick with UALR.

Sounds like SDSU and NDSU are happy in the Summit League and would only leave for the MVC (or Horizon I suppose). As long as SDSU and NDSU are happy, if we could add at least UALR, then I see the Summit League being in a good place and certainly not on the brink of destruction. Where are the Summit League teams going to go? I think the Summit League is in good shape moving forward if we can get a 9th solid school such as UALR.

Central Arkansas has football so I don't think they would leave the Southland for the Summit. I would like to add UALR. If the Southland expands I would expect that they would take one non-football school and one football school, balance is important to their members. Texas Pan-Am may be on the Southland's radar.

I think SDSU and NDSU are happy in the Summit so we all just need to stick together. We are going to be fine.

Personally, I'm content in the Summit League. IF we were to leave, I would hope it would be to join a more prestigious conference, and not just a lateral move. I'm not sure that a move to the Southland would accomplish that. I see the positives, but to me, they don't necessarily outshine the benefits of stability.

I feel quite certain that ORU lacks the resources to make an upward move practical at this time, even if one were offered (which seems unlikely).

Being in a conference where we can consistently compete for top honors in nearly all sports, especially our premier three (M & W basketball and baseball) has rewards of it's own. Would we have scored so highly in the TMM's Top 100 had we been in the Missouri Valley, or even the Horizon? Would our teams have a realistic shot nearly every season to play in the NCAA Tournaments? I think the Summit League, in spite of it's perceived warts, is a pretty good fit for us.

Personally, I'm content in the Summit League. IF we were to leave, I would hope it would be to join a more prestigious conference, and not just a lateral move. I'm not sure that a move to the Southland would accomplish that. I see the positives, but to me, they don't necessarily outshine the benefits of stability.

I feel quite certain that ORU lacks the resources to make an upward move practical at this time, even if one were offered (which seems unlikely).

Being in a conference where we can consistently compete for top honors in nearly all sports, especially our premier three (M & W basketball and baseball) has rewards of it's own. Would we have scored so highly in the TMM's Top 100 had we been in the Missouri Valley, or even the Horizon? Would our teams have a realistic shot nearly every season to play in the NCAA Tournaments? I think the Summit League, in spite of it's perceived warts, is a pretty good fit for us.

And I do believe that the Summit League has been improving considerably in recent years, especially given some of the recent departures. USD and UND would have obviously given it a lot more strength sans SUU, but with that up in the air there is some cause for concern. The other big thing I would point out as that if the Southland comes calling because it wants to get back to 12 members (by adding ORU and UALR or another school), does it not lessen ORU's chances of getting the autobid in those main sports, with 2 extra teams to compete against every year? I don't know how Southland does scheduling in basketball, but assuming everyone plays everyone else, that would be four non-conference games lost as well (depending on viewpoint, this could be good or bad).

I agree with a poster above that the best thing is to stick it out with the Summit League. The 8 remaining schools would all more or less be the most solid of the Summit League and it could give our commissioner the chance to conduct as rational an expansion process as possible and not have to worry about making a hasty decision based on fear of losing more schools.

And I do believe that the Summit League has been improving considerably in recent years, especially given some of the recent departures. USD and UND would have obviously given it a lot more strength sans SUU, but with that up in the air there is some cause for concern. The other big thing I would point out as that if the Southland comes calling because it wants to get back to 12 members (by adding ORU and UALR or another school), does it not lessen ORU's chances of getting the autobid in those main sports, with 2 extra teams to compete against every year? I don't know how Southland does scheduling in basketball, but assuming everyone plays everyone else, that would be four non-conference games lost as well (depending on viewpoint, this could be good or bad).

I agree with a poster above that the best thing is to stick it out with the Summit League. The 8 remaining schools would all more or less be the most solid of the Summit League and it could give our commissioner the chance to conduct as rational an expansion process as possible and not have to worry about making a hasty decision based on fear of losing more schools.

Well said, Hoopsdude.

I wouldn't mind staying in the league (as opposed to moving to the Southland) - as long as we could be guaranteed that all of the league members would stay. There is no way to do that unless you institute a prohibitively high exit fee. And staying at eight members will not work. Too small. The league needs a team or two for 'cushion' purposes.

I wouldn't mind staying in the league (as opposed to moving to the Southland) - as long as we could be guaranteed that all of the league members would stay. There is no way to do that unless you institute a prohibitively high exit fee. And staying at eight members will not work. Too small. The league needs a team or two for 'cushion' purposes.

I agree about needing the cushion, but I also think the only school with a shot of leaving immediately or in the next 3-4 years is Oral Roberts. This is of course assuming that the Southland comes out and says they want to get back to 12 members and courts ORU. All of the other 7 league members will stay because there aren't a ton of options out there. Ball is in ORU's court. And I hope you stay.

There is no way to do that unless you institute a prohibitively high exit fee. And staying at eight members will not work. Too small. The league needs a team or two for 'cushion' purposes.

So here's the question... If the Summit League asked all eight remaining members to sign an agreement promising NOT to leave the Summit for at least five years - which would only become valid if all eight members signed it - and carried a $2 million dollar penalty for any school breaking the contract.... Would ORU sign the agreement??? And should they???

So I attempted to make a "chart" of sorts breaking down all the news from this weekend as well as some possible scenarios using the news and rumors we have up to this point, you can see it here. Please feel free to let me know if I missed anything or am misguided in any of the linkages. This might not even be useful after Monday, but it should help us visually grasp a little bit of what is going on up until then.

Amazing job, Hoopsdude. Looks great.

I have to wonder if all the talk about ORU leaving for the Southland, though, isn't pure speculation. Other than the article posted at the beginning of this thread, and the idle chatter of some message board fans that have a little too much time on their hands, I've not really heard that ORU is interested in changing affiliations.

There are others on this board more plugged in with what's going on than I am, but I sure haven't heard any talk along those lines.

On the other hand, these things can happen rapidly . . . :geek:

tmh, I think you are definitely right. The collegesportsinfo.com post is really nothing more than another blogger so even that is pretty much just speculation. I included ORU/Southland just as a sort of crazy, "this is what could happen" scenario. Really hoping ORU is not interested in changing.

Hearing Mike Carter talk about this issue before, I would assume his preference is to stay in the Summit and he would give strong consideration to whatever options are presented to keep the league together. On the other hand, those statements he has made before have nothing to do with this current situation. ORU could be very happy in the Summit, but still strongly consider a move if the future of the conference was in doubt. It would be a VERY risky thing to be in a league with only 8 members. Even with an agreement signed. I know that Mike Carter, President Rutland, Trustees, and everyone else involved in the situation is taking all of that into consideration.

Hearing Mike Carter talk about this issue before, I would assume his preference is to stay in the Summit and he would give strong consideration to whatever options are presented to keep the league together. On the other hand, those statements he has made before have nothing to do with this current situation. ORU could be very happy in the Summit, but still strongly consider a move if the future of the conference was in doubt. It would be a VERY risky thing to be in a league with only 8 members. Even with an agreement signed. I know that Mike Carter, President Rutland, Trustees, and everyone else involved in the situation is taking all of that into consideration.

We must be prepared for all contingencies, and move accordingly.

I'm reminded of the old Russian proverb: "Pray to God, but continue to row to the shore".

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2010 ... /101103040

USD expected to join Missouri Valley football, stay in Summit

BY MICK GARRY • mgarry@argusleader.com • November 3, 2010

A process that pointed the University of South Dakota toward sending its athletic programs to the Big Sky Conference has taken an abrupt turn.

At a news conference today in Vermillion, the school is expected to announce that it will join the Missouri Valley Football Conference while honoring its commitment to the Summit League in all other sports.

Since South Dakota State also belongs to Missouri Valley Football and the Summit, today’s announcement means the Coyotes and Jackrabbits will compete in the same league for all sports for the first time since they went NCAA Division I.

USD officials would not comment Wednesday on the 11th-hour negotiations, but word spread quickly that the school would be turning its back on the Big Sky, which welcomed the University of North Dakota and Southern Utah on Monday. . . . (read more)

I see 89 has beat me and that's just fine...I see this as great news for the Summit. They got the 3 best Dakota schools and the three southern-most Dakota schools (Vermillion is an hour south of SuFu, two hours south of Brookings, 5 hours south of Fargo and just a lil over an hour north of Omaha).

I AM ECSTATIC!!!

I said earlier today on a radio show and again on facebook that the fact that UND and SUU had already accepted Big Sky membership and that USD was still not OFFICIALLY in made me wonder if something was in the works. The radio show told me "it will never happed". Well, it appears it did and I just couldn't be happier. Guys, I know you don't want another Dakota school but this will be a committed and solid member (I hate USD by the way). UND has to be stunned and feeling left out. The USD-SDSU rivalry is,and I mean this, as bitter as any in the nation, Ohio State-Michigan, Duke-UNC, Mizzou-KU, etc. It's gonna be fun again!!!