Re: Who competes with us next season?

ORU Eli

I doubt that it will be in Sioux Falls after next year.

Why not?  Is Tulsa trying to get it back?  Is there alot of interest for it in Tulsa?  Is there interest in it outside of ORU fans in the Tulsa area?  Do you think, after the success of last year, that the Summit is anxious to leave Sioux Falls?  Do you think Sioux Falls will be an easy bid to beat?

The only reason it won't be in SF next year and pretty much every year after is that I believe they want to move it around so it's fair and/or it won't get stale.  I saw an interview w/ a Summit official who said they are already considering automatically adding a third year to SF. 

I admitted that we up here are ignorant as far as the Union High facilities.  But, with all due respect, I believe some of you down there are ignorant as far as gauging our interest up here.  The people of this region supported this big time last year, both by attendance and cooperate.  We had a very successful D2 holiday tourney here in SF for years that never got stale.  I think Sioux Falls would continue to support the Summit if it were here 15 years in a row.  And, like I said before, once USD and UND get into the mix there will be 5 Summit schools within 5 hours of Sioux Falls and the 4 Dakota schools might just be the top 4 as far as passionate fans in the Summit.  It might not be in Sioux Falls every year, but I'll bet it's here and/or Fargo and/or Grand Forks quite a bit.  I guarantee if it were in Fargo it would also be very well attended and the same can probably said for Grand Forks (homw of UND and a little over an hour north of Fargo).

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SDSUJacks

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• ORUTerry

Why not?  Is Tulsa trying to get it back?  Is there alot of interest for it in Tulsa?  Is there interest in it outside of ORU fans in the Tulsa area?  Do you think, after the success of last year, that the Summit is anxious to leave Sioux Falls?  Do you think Sioux Falls will be an easy bid to beat?

The only reason it won't be in SF next year and pretty much every year after is that I believe they want to move it around so it's fair and/or it won't get stale.  I saw an interview w/ a Summit official who said they are already considering automatically adding a third year to SF. 

I admitted that we up here are ignorant as far as the Union High facilities.  But, with all due respect, I believe some of you down there are ignorant as far as gauging our interest up here.  The people of this region supported this big time last year, both by attendance and cooperate.  We had a very successful D2 holiday tourney here in SF for years that never got stale.  I think Sioux Falls would continue to support the Summit if it were here 15 years in a row.  And, like I said before, once USD and UND get into the mix there will be 5 Summit schools within 5 hours of Sioux Falls and the 4 Dakota schools might just be the top 4 as far as passionate fans in the Summit.  It might not be in Sioux Falls every year, but I'll bet it's here and/or Fargo and/or Grand Forks quite a bit.  I guarantee if it were in Fargo it would also be very well attended and the same can probably said for Grand Forks (homw of UND and a little over an hour north of Fargo).

Wow I think he's right- it almost sounds better for the Summit to keep it up there.

And the Summit League gets a little more depressing to be in...  :|

Do you guys want to be in the MVC that bad?

Do you think you can compete year in, year out? 

I don't think that the league (the member schools) want to keep the tournament in one spot for an extended timeframe. It all depends on which venues make a valid, economically sound bid for the tournament. South Dakota did a great job from a participation and sponsor standpoint... but the member schools will vote to move the location around if it is feasible.

The MVC is not a realistic possibility at the current time. I think it would require ORU to add some sports (softball included) which would require additional costs - and new facilities. (Title IX requires that women's softball have its own venue.)

We could compete in baseball and basketball (men's and women's).... and probably in the other sports too. It would just be a lot more difficult and making the tournament would be problematiic.

I don't think that the league (the member schools) want to keep the tournament in one spot for an extended timeframe. It all depends on which venues make a valid, economically sound bid for the tournament. South Dakota did a great job from a participation and sponsor standpoint... but the member schools will vote to move the location around if it is feasible.

Do the member schools really vote on it?  If so, I feel that's a horrible policy that opens up a large can of worms. 

No offense to you guys, but I feel Tulsa is a bad spot for the tourney if only b/c of geographical issues and the fact that it's not the only show in town. 

I think the member schools (through the Presidents or Athletic Directors) vote on the sites of the various tournaments. It depends on which cities/venues submit bids to host the tournament.

Do you guys want to be in the MVC that bad?

Do you think you can compete year in, year out? 

I'll try to say this as nice as I can. The fact that the Dakotas are going to be somewhat of the "hub" for Summit League is the depressing part of it all.

It's great for you guys but for fans in the midwest of the country, it's just a little sad. (I'm not saying our region of the country is any better than yours, I'm just trying to illustrate my point.)

Do I think we can compete year in, and year out in the MVC?

Of course I do! I'm a Golden Eagles fan -- come on man...

I'll try to say this as nice as I can. The fact that the Dakotas are going to be somewhat of the "hub" for Summit League is the depressing part of it all.

It's great for you guys but for fans in the midwest of the country, it's just a little sad. (I'm not saying our region of the country is any better than yours, I'm just trying to illustrate my point.)

Look what the Dakota schools have done in their brief time in the Summit.

The SDSU women had probably the most successful year ever by a Mid-Con or Summit team.  The NDSU men had a great season, were just one of a few teams who went to the NCAA Tourney in their first year and gave KU a great game.  I know the Summit doesn't have football but the NDSU and SDSU football teams have been top 25 nearly every week since moving up from D2.  The NDSU women's softball team is having a great year and just beat #7 OU.  The SDSU baseball team is very competetive even though they are very young (coached by former KU record holder Ritchie Price).  SDSU also had a wrestler go to the D1 National Tourney.  SDSU finished just a few points behind ORU for the Summit Comissioners Cup (all sports). 

I suppose you view us as a bunch of hicks wearing Wranglers, driving pickup trucks down gravel roads w/ a straw hanging out our mouth.  But SDSU and NDSU take their athletics very seriously and the success they have exhibited is no fluke.  I guarantee the four Dakota schools fanbase, interest and passion is unequalled in the Summit save for ORU and maybe Oakland.  And I can tell you that UND and USD also don't just plan on mediocrity at the D1 level either.  While in D2 the NCC (the conference shared by the Dakota schools, among others) was easily the top conference in the nation.  So you might be right, the Dakotas might be the future of the conference.  But know that it won't be done by people sitting back and being ho-hum about it all.  I'm obviously biased but I feel the Dakota schools are a great addition to a conference like the Summit.  The only downfall might be geographic reasons for ORU, Centenary and SUU. 

You're not the only one w/ MVC dreams.

Do I think we can compete year in, and year out in the MVC?

Of course I do! I'm a Golden Eagles fan -- come on man...

I think you would be competetive and compete for a title ever once in awhile.  I don't think you're at the level of a UNI, Creighton, Illinois State or Bradley.

By the way, did you know we are ALREADY in the MVC?  Our football program is in the MVC and took 2nd in the conference last year (three players invited to NFL camps) and could very well win it this year.

I'm gonna have to agree with senior08.

I had to laugh last season when the Summit couldn't draw in it's usual broadcast duo of Fran Fraschilla & Ron Franklin and had to use some guys I had never even heard of.

Even worse was when they announced during the tournament that "This is the very first live sports broadcast from the state." The fact is weather will be in an issue.

Look what the Dakota schools have done in their brief time in the Summit.

The SDSU women had probably the most successful year ever by a Mid-Con or Summit team.  The NDSU men had a great season, were just one of a few teams who went to the NCAA Tourney in their first year and gave KU a great game.  I know the Summit doesn't have football but the NDSU and SDSU football teams have been top 25 nearly every week since moving up from D2.  The NDSU women's softball team is having a great year and just beat #7 OU.  The SDSU baseball team is very competetive even though they are very young (coached by former KU record holder Ritchie Price).  SDSU also had a wrestler go to the D1 National Tourney.  SDSU finished just a few points behind ORU for the Summit Comissioners Cup (all sports)....

Hahahahahhahahahahahahahhahaha what?

Valpo hitting the shot isn't more successful?

ORU baseball going to a super regional, going to 10 years of post season play, and putting players in the Major Leagues isn't more successful?

perspective.

Yes, the SDSU women cracked the top 15, had the second best record in the NCAA, won their first round game and lost the next one to a NCAA power on a last second shot.

The NDSU men are in fact one of the few teams to go to the NCAA Tourney in their first year eligible.  Not to mention they won the conference in their first year eligible.

And yes, SDSU and NDSU have football programs. Good ones.  Ones that draw 10-15k per game. Top 25 programs in FCS.

Thank you now.

What is your problem, Jacks??  At pretty much every level your post is inflammatory; your initial barrage of questions reveals total ignorance in the point that I was make, which ORUTerry attempted to explain, only to be told it's a "horrible policy" . . .  Your open hostility to everything anyone says in response to you clearly demonstrates you are not interested in "talking hoops", as you say; your only purpose is to inflame.  Just so you know, the ONLY reason the tournament was in Tulsa for four years was because Tulsa was the only city that bid to hold it the second two years.  Had there been another option, chances are we wouldn't have gotten it.  But your program wasn't even affected by that, so why are you so hostile about the possiblilty of it returning here?  And I wasn't even suggesting that!!

"I suppose you view us as a bunch of hicks wearing Wranglers, driving pickup trucks down gravel roads w/ a straw hanging out our mouth."  Have you ever been to Oklahoma??? 

We attempt to keep the discourse on this board positive and respectful.  There are a number of NDSU and SDSU fans that have posted on here since before either school was admitted to the conference and they add an outside perspective that I believe is respected and appreciated by most.

You remind me a lot of a guy that used to post on here named Valpo Rick :roll: . . .

Hahahahahhahahahahahahahhahaha what?

Valpo hitting the shot isn't more successful?

ORU baseball going to a super regional, going to 10 years of post season play, and putting players in the Major Leagues isn't more successful?

perspective.

What is your problem, Jacks??  At pretty much every level your post is inflammatory; your initial barrage of questions reveals total ignorance in the point that I was make, which ORUTerry attempted to explain, only to be told it's a "horrible policy" . . .  Your open hostility to everything anyone says in response to you clearly demonstrates you are not interested in "talking hoops", as you say; your only purpose is to inflame. 

"I suppose you view us as a bunch of hicks wearing Wranglers, driving pickup trucks down gravel roads w/ a straw hanging out our mouth."  Have you ever been to Oklahoma??? 

We attempt to keep the discourse on this board positive and respectful.  There are a number of NDSU and SDSU fans that have posted on here since before either school was admitted to the conference and they add an outside perspective that I believe is respected and appreciated by most.

You remind me a lot of a guy that used to post on here named Valpo Rick :roll: . . .

Are you being serious?  I have been nothing but respectful on here despite some very rude responses.  I think part of the problem w/ message boards is how some people read into what others type.  I'm not trying to be "inflammatory" at all.  The fact that you think that I am openly hostile to anyone and everyone that responds to me is crazy.  Your a moderator on here?  Wow.  And my barrage of questions is simply to learn more about your program.  Sorry for taking an interest.  I have like 5 posts on the NDSU site and none on any other Summit site.  I came over here to learn about your program, that's it.  If you think I'm over here to "inflame" I don't know what to tell you. 

The part I wrote about wanglers and driving pickup trucks wan't directed at you, it was how I think you guys percieve us up here in the Dakotas.  Go read the responses by some on here and what they say about the place that I call home.  But of course, I'm the jerk, right?  Yes, I have been to Tulsa and Oklahoma many time.  I have even been on the ORU campus.  I have been to Casa Bonita down in that strip mall and the old circular arena the Fatsbreakers used to play in on the fairgrounds, to your huuuuge convention center w/ the tall driller out front, to the AAA stadium the Drillers used to play in, etc.  Heck, my sister attended Oklahoma Christian for a year.

Are you being serious?  I have been nothing but respectful on here despite some very rude responses.  I think part of the problem w/ message boards is how some people read into what others type.  I'm not trying to be "inflammatory" at all.  The fact that you think that I am openly hostile to anyone and everyone that responds to me is crazy.  Your a moderator on here?  Wow.  And my barrage of questions is simply to learn more about your program.  Sorry for taking an interest.  I have like 5 posts on the NDSU site and none on any other Summit site.  I came over here to learn about your program, that's it.  If you think I'm over here to "inflame" I don't know what to tell you. 

The part I wrote about wanglers and driving pickup trucks wan't directed at you, it was how I think you guys percieve us up here in the Dakotas.  Go read the responses by some on here and what they say about the place that I call home.  But of course, I'm the jerk, right?  Yes, I have been to Tulsa and Oklahoma many time.  I have even been on the ORU campus.  I have been to Casa Bonita down in that strip mall and the old circular arena the Fatsbreakers used to play in on the fairgrounds, to your huuuuge convention center w/ the tall driller out front, to the AAA stadium the Drillers used to play in, etc.  Heck, my sister attended Oklahoma Christian for a year.

Correct (see above).

And "respectful" is in the eye of the offended, not the offender.

The fact you TOTALLY missed what TMH intended by revisiting your "Wranglers and pick-ups" quote indicates that you are WAY over your head in the give-and-take department:  I'm pretty sure he  repeated it with the "Have you ever been Oklahoma?" comment to highlight that "Wranglers and pick-ups" are near and dear to most folks in The Sooner State, and not something to be disparaged.

Why WOULDN"T someone in South Dakota wear Wranglers and drive a pick-up, anyway? 

Who in their right mind would want to step out of a Porsche wearing Cole Haan's in two feet of snow?

Will the Summit tourney be back in Sioux Falls after next year? Without a doubt. Will it be back in Tulsa? I guarantee it.

This tourney is going to move around, I know one coach who will probably complain until it is moved to the state of Indiana.

Will the Summit tourney be back in Sioux Falls after next year? Without a doubt. Will it be back in Tulsa? I guarantee it.

This tourney is going to move around, I know one coach who will probably complain until it is moved to the state of Indiana.

Right on, FargoBison, and thank you for reiterating my point, from an outsider's perspective :wink:!