Re: Who competes with us next season?

ORU Eli

I have to say ORU may really be 1 more year away.  Kevin Ford will be a senior next year, but if Bell-Holter is all he seems to be domination may be the word for the 2010-2011 season.  Bell-Holter in the middle, with Morrison at one wing  Hardy at the other wing, Pearson and Stokes at the Guards.  The starting 5 is not the big thing. It's the possible depth that could make us very veryscary.

Good points Plato. Who is going to step up and fill the scoring gap?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SDSUJacks

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• ORUTerry

1. Oakland

2-10. Everybody else

Oakland basically gets a two for one next year... they lose Kangas but get Derick Nelson and a transfer in Larry Wright, who avg. nearly 10 ppg for St. Johns in the Big East... they're going to be scary good.  Plus they will play a very tough non-conference schedule and that will only make them better.

ORU should be next in line then the 3-6 spots will be a battle between IUPUI, SDSU, NDSU, and SUU... next year should be interesting

1. Oakland

2-10. Everybody else

Oakland basically gets a two for one next year... they lose Kangas but get Derick Nelson and a transfer in Larry Wright, who avg. nearly 10 ppg for St. Johns in the Big East... they're going to be scary good.  Plus they will play a very tough non-conference schedule and that will only make them better.

ORU should be next in line then the 3-6 spots will be a battle between IUPUI, SDSU, NDSU, and SUU... next year should be interesting

Good call, ndsubison. 

Of course, for any of us to make any predictions in late March of the year before is just a LITTLE premature.  There are a lot of roster changes still to come - including the Spring signing period - and we never know who will (and won't) be on the rosters until school starts up in August.  It's crazy for any of us to forecast anything right now - but that's what makes us fans!

Here's my top 5.

1. Oakland

2. ORU

3. IPFW

4. IUPUI

5. SDSU

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You got to be kidding me!  IPFW, IUPUI, SDSU??  cmon.

This league is going to be Oakland, ORU and NDSU for years to come to battle it out.

NDSU will have:

Lundberg *northern iowa transfer* or Zastrow #5 senior in wisc.

Vaughn

Twiedt

Flowers

Nagle  *6 9 255lb iowa hs beast*

Coleman & Sussenguth both played alot!

Felt is a #2 that is Minnesota's All Time leading scorer, recruit.

PLUS NDSU has 1 more scholly left.  JUCO??

I think NDSU will be competing for the top position in the league for years to come, lakes.  But I don't think ANY team, NDSU included, can graduate the kind of talent you guys did and not take a dip.  I'd still put you guys in the top four next year, but I don't see you guys winning the conference again.

NDSU will have:

Vaughn

Twiedt

Flowers

Translation - NDSU will have:

Tveidt

As for this incoming freshmen and that incoming transfer, look at it this way:  five years ago, you had Woodside, Winkelman, Moorman, Nelson, etc. all coming in as freshmen, too.

How did that work out for you the first couple of seasons?  :wink:

And how good is Tviedt going to be now that he can't live off the wealth of Woodside and Winkelman? Can't just camp out all day in 3-point land anymore.

Oakland is the obvious "paper pick", but ORU has as good a shot as anybody

Translation - NDSU will have:

Tveidt

As for this incoming freshmen and that incoming transfer, look at it this way:  five years ago, you had Woodside, Winkelman, Moorman, Nelson, etc. all coming in as freshmen, too.

How did that work out for you the first couple of seasons?  ;)

I think the redshirting strategy NDSU uses may have hurt them after winning this year. If you go down their roster you'll see they redshirt every new player (exluding transfers/JUCOS). Not a bad plan since it gives them more time to develop talent but after making the NCAA's they only have one spot to offer.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my top 5.

1. Oakland

2. ORU

3. IPFW

4. IUPUI

5. SDSU

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You got to be kidding me!  IPFW, IUPUI, SDSU??  cmon.

This league is going to be Oakland, ORU and NDSU for years to come to battle it out.

NDSU will have:

Vaughn

Twiedt

Flowers

Lakes I know you are a Bison Super fan but come on.  You guys are a football school that had one really good class go threw the system (a class recruited by a coach that isn't part of your program anymore). Weren't Woodside and Winkelman both in the programs top 5 all time scorers?  There is a reason this was your first conference title sine 1981.

You had a nice run, but it is over.  We are the Basketball school in the Dakotas and we have turned the corner.  SDSU graduated two kids Casey who avg. 13.8 min a game and 2.9 points and Wipf who avg. 4.1 min. and 1.1 points (Wipf is a walk on who only played in 7 games).  Everyone else is back, we will be in the top half of the Summit next season. 

"We are the Basketball school in the Dakotas..." 

"...we will be in the top half of the Summit next season." 

Those two comments brought quite the smile to my face.

Those two comments brought quite the smile to my face.

I assume you are making fun of Dakota Basketball, but seems to me I rembember both the Summit Leage's Champions coming from the Dakotas this past season (NDSU - Men / SDSU - Women).

With that said, I believe both statments to be true about our Men's team and I think we may be the team to beat in 2010, but I tend to be a little bit of a homer so I thought I would stick with the top half.  ORU and Oakland are very good and IUPUI will also be in the hunt. 

We did make it to the Semi's of the Summit Tourney with a young team last season.  I'm sure you remember the OT thriller.  :wink:

th_25198.jpg 

AMEPRVZEFPTHWTV.20090308052132.jpg

I assume you are making fun of Dakota Basketball, but seems to me I rembember both the Summit Leage's Champions coming from the Dakotas this past season (NDSU - Men / SDSU - Women).

With that said, I believe both statments to be true about our Men's team and I think we may be the team to beat in 2010, but I tend to be a little bit of a homer so I thought I would stick with the top half.  ORU and Oakland are very good and IUPUI will also be in the hunt. 

We did make it to the Semi's of the Summit Tourney with a young team last season.  I'm sure you remember the OT thriller.  :wink:

Here's some advice 89 - quit assuming.

Take your fond memories of the "big game" and store them in your chest of "Fond Memories of SDSU Doing Splendid Things"

I'm pretty sure you're going to have to open it up next season when your sense of homer-confidence dwindles away.

My comments were directed at the fact that you came on the ORU board to do your Dakota trash talking.  Be cool  8-)

I have to agree with 89. SDSU will be a much stronger squad than NDSU next season. No way NDSU replaces those seniors with freshmen that quickly.

Lakes I know you are a Bison Super fan but come on.  You guys are a football school that had one really good class go threw the system (a class recruited by a coach that isn't part of your program anymore). Weren't Woodside and Winkelman both in the programs top 5 all time scorers?  There is a reason this was your first conference title sine 1981.

You had a nice run, but it is over.  We are the Basketball school in the Dakotas and we have turned the corner.  SDSU graduated two kids Casey who avg. 13.8 min a game and 2.9 points and Wipf who avg. 4.1 min. and 1.1 points (Wipf is a walk on who only played in 7 games).  Everyone else is back, we will be in the top half of the Summit next season. 

You are the basketball school in the Dakotas? SDSU is 46-103 in the past five seasons, your mens teams draws less fans than NDSU, and you also have a smaller budget. Am I missing something or is somebody still holding on pretty tightly to their DII glory years? I won't say SDSU can't turn the corner but I don't think you are in any position to be making that kind of claim.

I will say this about NDSU. Next year's team will have eight players that have all been in college for three years, that is a considerable amount of experience. For the bulk of their careers they have been role players, but now they get a chance. Some of these players will improve dramatically with minutes, some won't, but it's not like NDSU is running out five freshmen who have never played a DI game.

Except for a few Summit League teams (notably Oakland), teams will be a mystery based on new starting lineups. Even Oakland will have to deal with the loss of contributors (Kangas) and team chemistry. Our conjecture is based on what we think we know and saw from the various teams. NDSU lost a lot of firepower and it remains to be seen if the role players can step up and play on the big stage. From what I saw, the incomng players don't compare to Woodside, Winkleman, etc. But that could change.

ORU is a bit of a enigma... we lose three starters who were big contributors. Sango was a defensive stopper but was not an offensive threat. Jarvis was a scorer but could be very inconsistent and some say a liability on defense. We will miss his offensive firepower. Lewis was a wide body down low who could score and provided good defense in the low block. His poor free throw shooting was a liability though. Our season will depend on how we adapt to the 'loss' of these players and how returning/new players fill their new/expanded roles.

-1 for any and all Dakotans bickering about THEIR programs on the ORU board.

Put down the keyboard and go get a tan.

I have to agree with 89. SDSU will be a much stronger squad than NDSU next season. No way NDSU replaces those seniors with freshmen that quickly.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin.  :-D