Re: Who competes with us next season?

ORU Eli

I think I get what 89 was trying to say.  SDSU has a proud history.  Granted, all our of success has been at the D2 level, but it finally feels like we're turning the corner at the D1 level.  Plagued by injuries, transfers, etc, it's been a hard road so far. 

I guess what I am getting at is we have had success at SDSU before.  Frost Arena has been packed and we know what it feels like to be winners.  We've taken our lumps but everyone just felt it was a matter of time before we continued our winning ways at the next level (the D1 level).  This upcoming year we return everybody, plus add 4 very solid recruits, get a mid-season transfer for the whole year and bring 2 promising kids off redshirts.  I'm not saying we are top two, but a third place finish is probable. 

SDSU:

21 Conference Championships

Before the move to D1 we won 20+ games 8 out of 9 years. 

We were 210-59 the 9 years under current coach Nagy until joining D1.

We are 401-108 at Frost Arena all-time (opened in 1973)....including a 201-30 record against non-conference opponents.

Before the move to D1 we had 2 losing seasons in the previous 22 years and the last losing season was 1989.

Wooptie-freaking-doo.

ORU lost in overtime to Kansas in the Elite Eight in 1974.

That and a dollar will buy you coffee at QuikTrip.

Same deal with your D-II accomplishments.

Win a conference road game and then pop off.

Peace (and war when it's needed).  8-)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SDSUJacks

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• ORUTerry

Wooptie-freaking-doo.

ORU lost in overtime to Kansas in the Elite Eight in 1974.

That and a dollar will buy you coffee at QuikTrip.

Same deal with your D-II accomplishments.

Win a conference road game and then pop off.

Peace (and war when it's needed).  8)

How about a winning a neutral game......say versus the defending conference champ?  ;D

I'm not popping off.  Simply pointing out that our program has a proud past.  We have a coach who knows what it takes to win, fans who have expectations and we actually have alot of talent in the region.  I think once we get rolling again (I think we get rolling this year) that we're going to have a very respectable program. 

I'm not sure you're qualified to determine whether you're "popping off" - especially when this isn't  SDSU's message board.

You're calling ORU's first-round overtime loss in Sioux Falls "a neutral game"?  Gimme a break - it was likely the best home crowd you guys had all year.

Good luck this year trying to finish in even the top three in the regular season, a position ORU has equalled or bettered six years running.

Maybe then it can be considered "a very respectable year" for SDSU.  :roll:

You're calling ORU's first-round overtime loss in Sioux Falls "a neutral game"?  Gimme a break - it was likely the best home crowd you guys had all year.

Good luck this year trying to finish in even the top three in the regular season, a position ORU has equalled or bettered six years running.

Maybe then it can be considered "a very respectable year" for SDSU.  :roll:

Don't be mad that they can't play the Summit Tourney in a HS gym in Tulsa every year. 

We could finish top three, that's very likely.  You were 2-1 vs. us last year and the two wins were close games.  We took NDSU to OT and pissed that one away too.  We lost two Summit games on half court shots and have suffered a ton of close losses the past couple of years (most losses by 5 or less of any Summit team).  We're the deepest and most talented we've been since our move to D1.  The result in so many of those close losses was fatigue/lack of depth and that won't be a factor this year.  If half those close losses turn into wins and we pick up road wins at UMKC, Centenary, WIU and anothe place or two we could be top three. 

Fear the Rabbit!

Don't be mad that they can't play the Summit Tourney in a HS gym in Tulsa every year. 

We could finish top three, that's very likely.  You were 2-1 vs. us last year and the two wins were close games.  We took NDSU to OT and pissed that one away too.  We lost two Summit games on half court shots and have suffered a ton of close losses the past couple of years (most losses by 5 or less of any Summit team).  We're the deepest and most talented we've been since our move to D1.  The result in so many of those close losses was fatigue/lack of depth and that won't be a factor this year.  If half those close losses turn into wins and we pick up road wins at UMKC, Centenary, WIU and anothe place or two we could be top three. 

Fear the Rabbit!

OK, with that post you have officially entered "LakesBison" territory in terms of credibility.

That "HS gym" you obviously have never seen is nicer than any facility ORU played in last year in either of the Dakotas.

And, as for all your "ifs and butts", I hardly know where to start.

Suffice it to say that, if ALL teams in D-1 had more depth and stamina last season, NO ONE would have lost a single game!

Finally, those "close wins" we had against SDSU last year? 

They have an official term for that:

"W"

Please go away now - you're embarrassing yourself and your school.  :oops:

+1 for OT....since when did he become TheEagleman?....ya gotta love it!....This SDSUJack is quite the jack--f, isn't he?....the new guy is in for a long winter if he continues with that brand of smack talk....but TheEagleman has to admit that he has missed that type of banter since the loss of our friends at Valpo....we will be looking forward to some fun and retribution next season vs. the Jacks..... :-D

I have a few questions:

1. Are we seriously going to have to listen to this nonsense all summer?

2. Is SDSU going to hang a banner for going 1-2 against ORU last year?

3. Is it possible that SDSU had no choice BUT to get deeper in their short history of playing DI basketball?

4. Will SDSU ever win a conference road game?

5. (a) Can anyone name a school that's won a Division II national championship?

(B) Can anyone name a Division II school??

© If a school wins a D2 title, and no one else gives a crap, did it ever really happen?

6. Does anyone care who the hell finishes third in the Summit as long as it ain't ORU?

Seriously, gathering what I think I know about our team NOW compared to February and early-March, it's nothing short of miracle that we had a shot at winning the regular season on the last day... and we should have cruised easily in the 2nd half against SDSU once we got a lead.

I've never seen a team struggle so much to just SCORE. From the field, from 3-pt, from the FT line, in the paint, wherever...

+1 for OT....since when did he become TheEagleman?....ya gotta love it!....This SDSUJack is quite the jack--f, isn't he?....the new guy is in for a long winter if he continues that with that brand smack talk....but TheEagleman has to admit that he has missed that since the loss of our friends at Valpo....we will be looking forward to some fun and retribution next season vs. the Jacks..... :-D

I'm a Jack--f?  Why is that?  We have NDSU people on our board talking 10 times the smack I have (if you can even consider what I said as smack) and they get treated great.  Relax guys. 

I have a few questions:

1. Are we seriously going to have to listen to this nonsense all summer?

2. Is SDSU going to hang a banner for going 1-2 against ORU last year?

3. Is it possible that SDSU had no choice BUT to get deeper in their short history of playing DI basketball?

4. Will SDSU ever win a conference road game?

5. (a) Can anyone name a school that's won a Division II national championship?

(B) Can anyone name a Division II school??

© If a school wins a D2 title, and no one else gives a crap, did it ever really happen?

6. Does anyone care who the hell finishes third in the Summit as long as it ain't ORU?

Seriously, gathering what I think I know about our team NOW compared to February and early-March, it's nothing short of miracle that we had a shot at winning the regular season on the last day... and we should have cruised easily in the 2nd half against SDSU once we got a lead.

I've never seen a team struggle so much to just SCORE. From the field, from 3-pt, from the FT line, in the paint, wherever...

1.  If you guys are all this way no, we won't, I'll leave.  You guys are better than this...right?  Go re-read my posts guys, I'm no being a jerk.  Do you treat everybody who isn't pro-ORU this way?  I'm making a case for us possibly 3rd....third!  I'm not saying we're the best thing to ever happen to the Summit.....that would be.....

2.  I wouldn't have brought up the 1-2 if not for people on here acting as though ORU was The UNC Tarheels and SDSU is Prairie View.  Those people are acting like we're scum.  Hey, we've had our issues but we beat you once and played you darn tight the other two times.

3.  Yes.  Depth has been a real issue due to injuries (we have a real solid 6'10 kid who looks like he'll never play) as well as losing some kids to transfer (a couple kid left for Illinois and K-State where one was a starter and one was 6th man).  A couple years ago we had to pull kids off the football team just to have bodies!  We won't have that problem anymore.  We could stand to get a little bigger inside though.

4.  Yes.  We'll win our 2nd and/or 3rd league road games this year (WIU and UMKC). 

5.  We have some great D2 memories.  I guess you look at the D2 the way the Big XII looks at the Summit.

6.  Noone, outside the Summit, can name a Summit team let alone care who gets third....or first for that matter.  3rd would be a nice stepping stone for us and most likely mean we at least close to a 20 win team and means we have a decent shot in the Summit tourney.  I'll take third!

HAHAHA!....oh yesss!...TheEagleman is gonna love this guy....just keep chatting to yourself and our point is proven....SDSUJack--f carrying on a one man conversation..... :-D....such are the dog days of May....basketball season can't start soon enough for TheEagleman..... :-P

Obviously, SDSUJacks, you are talking smack.  But I appreciate the Summit League having some fan bases who care.  At least NDSU and SDSU can join Germane from Oakland as an example of some fans who care.

When was the last time someone from IUPUI, Centenary, UMKC or Southern Utah posted something on this board?

Stronger fan bases can only improve the conference and the intensity of the competition.

1.  If you guys are all this way no, we won't, I'll leave.  You guys are better than this...right?  Go re-read my posts guys, I'm no being a jerk.  Do you treat everybody who isn't pro-ORU this way?  I'm making a case for us possibly 3rd....third!  I'm not saying we're the best thing to ever happen to the Summit.....that would be.....

2.  I wouldn't have brought up the 1-2 if not for people on here acting as though ORU was The UNC Tarheels and SDSU is Prairie View.  Those people are acting like we're scum.  Hey, we've had our issues but we beat you once and played you darn tight the other two times.

3.  Yes.  Depth has been a real issue due to injuries (we have a real solid 6'10 kid who looks like he'll never play) as well as losing some kids to transfer (a couple kid left for Illinois and K-State where one was a starter and one was 6th man).  A couple years ago we had to pull kids off the football team just to have bodies!  We won't have that problem anymore.  We could stand to get a little bigger inside though.

4.  Yes.  We'll win our 2nd and/or 3rd league road games this year (WIU and UMKC). 

5.  We have some great D2 memories.  I guess you look at the D2 the way the Big XII looks at the Summit.

6.  Noone, outside the Summit, can name a Summit team let alone care who gets third....or first for that matter.  3rd would be a nice stepping stone for us and most likely mean we at least close to a 20 win team and means we have a decent shot in the Summit tourney.  I'll take third!

.............zzzzzzzz.............zzzzzzzzz...........zzzzzzzzz...........zzzzzzzzz............

Agreed Jason, TheEagleman welcomes the Jackman to this board...and if he can dish it out, he has to be willing to take it....sounds like he is....and the fun begins.... :-D

Obviously, SDSUJacks, you are talking smack.  But I appreciate the Summit League having some fan bases who care.  At least NDSU and SDSU can join Germane from Oakland as an example of some fans who care.

When was the last time someone from IUPUI, Centenary, UMKC or Southern Utah posted something on this board?

Stronger fan bases can only improve the conference and the intensity of the competition.

Good post, Jason.

SDSUJacks, these guys are just having some fun with you.  Truth is, we don't get much give and take on our board.  Not only that, but it's slow around here!  You're giving us something to talk about.  Don't take it the wrong way.  But let me tell you this - if you come on to an ORU board and talk SDSU basketball, you'll probably get a reaction.  It just works out that way.

You see JACKS.

Lakes doesnt have to talk smack on an ORU board, they respect me and my program becuz.

A) we on a 3 game win streak vs ORU

B) we gave the summit league more press ever.

C) we dont have a school that didnt win a road game.

D) we dont have a school that is in love with womens bball.

E) we cheered for ORU vs SDSU in that game.

F) cuz Im LAKESBISON biatch!!! ha ha

You see JACKS.

Lakes doesnt have to talk smack on an ORU board, they respect me and my program becuz.

A) we on a 3 game win streak vs ORU

B) we gave the summit league more press ever.

C) we dont have a school that didnt win a road game.

D) we dont have a school that is in love with womens bball.

E) we cheered for ORU vs SDSU in that game.

F) cuz Im LAKESBISON biatch!!! ha ha

That was the most incoherent post ever.

That was the most incoherent post ever.

:-D :-D :-D

That made me laugh out loud!!!