TW: ORU lands basketball commitment (Hunter McClintock)

ORUTerry

I've been around the game for a long time and am the son of a high school basketball, so even though I played soccer at ORU, basketball is in my blood.  I had the opportunity to play with some outstanding players in high school that have come out of Colorado, which isn't known to be a strong basketball state...Brooks Thompson, Chucky Sproiling, Tommy Pace, Marty Clark and a handful of kids that went on to play D-1 football.  Without sounding prejudice or racist, this kid is probably the best white kid I've seen...period.  He has tremendous speed, agility and quickness, great vision and can shoot lights out.  I realize that the you tube videos are his "highlights", however, most kids can only dream about having highlights that we've seen.  From my distant perspective, I believe this kid, if he does end up going to ORU, has a legitimate chance of being one of the best players to grace the campus...I realize these words may sound strong, however, give me the names of any recent white kids that were college studs that he couldn't hang with...

I will remain cautiously optimistic that he actually signs with ORU and puts on an ORU uniform.  It just looks too good to be true...

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• Old Titan

• Dr. Cornelius

• darrenj

I'm puzzled, the original article stated his average was around ten points and five assist.  Is it just me or do most of the other post contradict the ten point average?

I'm puzzled, the original article stated his average was around ten points and five assist.  Is it just me or do most of the other post contradict the ten point average?

The 10 points 5 assists are his numbers from Patterson. Any other numbers would be from high school.

Not only does this kid resemble Pete Maravich....he also wears the same number 44.....only thing is he's about 3 inches shorter than the great showman from LSU.....TheEagleman agrees that we should get excited only when he signs on the dotted line to come to ORU..... :|

Not only does this kid resemble Pete Maravich....he also wears the same number 44.....only thing is he's about 3 inches shorter than the great showman from LSU.....TheEagleman agrees that we should get excited only when he signs on the dotted line to come to ORU..... :|

Agreed, and maybe wait to hold judgement until we see him at least play in a scrimmage!

All of those are true.... we need to temper our enthusiasm until we see him on campus and playing. That said, I am excited to have a freshman point guard who can spend four years learning/playing basketball. If he is one-half as talented dribbling and passing the ball as he seems in the videos, he will be an asset to the team.

Patterson does not allow just anyone to play on their teams.....

This is the first selection Sunday in recent memory that I haven't been excited for one or both of our basketball teams.....such a let down.  Since we gave TU such a rough time last year for "paying" to play in a tournament, I hope we don't go that route.  :|

But......thanks for the little pick me up!  Glad to know we have some new talent to look forward to next year.  GO EAGLES  8-)

Pardon my late reaction to the news, and to save being redundant I'll just say that I agree with most of everyone's excitement about our potential recruit. I noticed in his interview he mentioned Elon as a strong possibility. For those that aren't familiar with the school, Elon is a very small Presbyterian-based college in North Carolina. That alone tells me a lot about the type of kid he is. The fact that he is STARTING at Patterson says even more about his ability. I'm sure he'll have to adjust to the learning curve like all freshman, but kids coming from a schools like Patterson, Montross Christian, Oak Hill Academy, etc are always a lot further along than their counterparts. With ORU being a mid-major, I wouldn't be surprised to see him getting significant minutes as a freshman.

Anybody else hold their breath every time you see a new post on this thread?  I'm just waiting for the "hoax" to be exposed.  I still find it amazing that there was no mention of Hunter and ORU in the same text before the Tulsa World article.

Anybody post this yet?  http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/onthetrail?set=0&date=03132009&cat=null&display=25&month=03132009&fullmonth=null

Mar. 13

Hunter McClintock, PG

Durham, NC

The Patterson School (NC)

Scouts Grade: 77

Patterson point guard Hunter McClintock picks ORU

Oral Roberts landed a verbal commitment Thursday from the point guard of one of the nation's top prep school teams, according to the Tulsa World. Hunter McClintock pledged to the Golden Eagles after receiving some interest from Kentucky and Charlotte.

"He's very happy with his commitment and I think the ORU coaches are, too," Patterson head coach Chris Chaney told the paper. "(ORU head coach Scott Sutton) and (ORU assistant Chris Crutchfield) did an unbelievable job of recruiting him."

ESPN.com Recruiting Coordinator Antonio Williams likes what the Golden Eagles are getting in McClintock.

"Hunter provides the Golden Eagles with a more than dependable shooter from the perimeter," he said. "This lefty has range that extends well beyond the 3-point line. If defenders don't run him off and force him to put the ball on the floor, McClintock will deliver daggers from deep."

With the new college 3-point line, McClintock is an ideal get for ORU.

"Because of his shooting ability, he is best suited for running off screens or setting up as a spot-up shooter," Williams offered. "He can covert kick-outs form penetrating guards or when bigs pass the ball back out.

"McClintock should have a nice career as a distance shooter for Oral Roberts." 

Our coaches always come through with good signings.  I think I've just been spending too much windshield time lately.....3000 miles in 10 days, and my brain gets a little foggy.

A few sun shiney days and confirmation of some signings (plus some sleep) and life will be beautiful again!  - ---who am I kidding, it's always beautiful  :lol:

There are lots of things to be excited over....our scoreboard, Fox Sports and a coaching staff and players that are all around good guys. 

Anybody else hold their breath every time you see a new post on this thread?  I'm just waiting for the "hoax" to be exposed.  I still find it amazing that there was no mention of Hunter and ORU in the same text before the Tulsa World article.

Anybody post this yet?  http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/onthetrail?set=0&date=03132009&cat=null&display=25&month=03132009&fullmonth=null

Rivals.com, who I'm fairly certain previously listed Hunter with no "stars", now shows him as a "solid verbal commit" to ORU as a 2-star prospect.

This is not the first time that, after we landed a diamond-in-the-rough, he suddenly sprouted "stars".

Has our program reached the level where simply signing a guy gives him a little more cache' with the scoutniks?

Rivals.com, who I'm fairly certain previously listed Hunter with no "stars", now shows him as a "solid verbal commit" to ORU as a 2-star prospect.

This is not the first time that, after we landed a diamond-in-the-rough, he suddenly sprouted "stars".

Has our program reached the level where simply signing a guy gives him a little more cache' with the scoutniks?

Any examples of this?  I can't remember...

Any examples of this?  I can't remember...

If I recall correctly, Scottie Farrington went from either no-stars or one-star, to 2-stars after we signed him.

The other one was either Dominique Morrison or Dominique Gaines, can't remember which one, but whoever it was went from zero to two stars after we announced his signing.

Damen Bell-Holter has fluctuated between two- and three-stars the past two years on Rivals.com and Scout.com; he's currently a 2-star.