TW: ORU lands basketball commitment (Hunter McClintock)

ORUTerry

What the heck?? I've been so busy wearing my ORU homer shades and bitterly talking trash about NDSU that I didn't even see this thread  :mrgreen:

They weren't kiddin' about breaking ankles. How many people did he put on their backside in that 1st video?? Is Kevin Ford going to have some Top Play competition?

So why did all of those big schools back off? Was it because of his injury? If anybody can tell you why a recruit is the greatest player EVER and then turn around and tell you why that same recruit is the worst player EVER, Wildcat fans can...

The video and stats all say this kid could be the real deal though. Rotnei who?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• Old Titan

• Dr. Cornelius

• darrenj

ESPN scouting reports can be kind of harsh.

Last year, they described Damen Bell-Holter as "a plodder".

What I take from this evaluation of HM is that he may not be quick enough to play point guard at a place like Kentucky or North Carolina, nor tall enough to play shooting guard.

So what??

We don't need our point or shooting guard to be able to deal on lightning-quick 6'-6" SEC or ACC guards every night.

It would just be nice if our point guard leads the team in assists, and our shooting guard makes more than 30% of his three-point attempts.  :wink:

ESPN scouting reports can be kind of harsh.

Last year, they described Damen Bell-Holter as "a plodder".

What I take form this evaluation of HM is that he may not be quick enough to play point guard at a place like Kentucky or North Carolina, nor tall enough to play shooting guard.

So what??

We don't need our point or shooting guard to be able to deal on lightning-quick 6'-6" SEC or ACC guards every night.

It would just be nice if our point guard could lead the team in assists, and our shooting guard could make more than 30% of his three-point attempts.  :wink:

I agree and was not trying to be negative.  I just wonder what changes from the early recruiting push.  I think he may be a perfect fit at ORU.

I cannot find a single mention of ORU and Hunter together before the Tulsa World article.  Talk about under the radar.

Here's ESPN's evaluation of a point guard from last year's signing class who rated two points below McClintock:

"a small, savy point guard who rarely makes a bad decision. He has a strong build and is a pretty good shooter. His toughness really shines through but he's too undersized for high-major ball. He really struggles defensively against bigger guards."

Who was it? 

Keiton Page of OSU, who is merely playing 30 minutes a game now while draining 3's from the parking lot.

Think he could have helped us this year?  :-D

Hunter looks quick enough to me on all those videos.  He said in the interview that his defense has improved the most in prep school.  I imagine that will get even better under Sutton.

Wow... this is a huge get. My dad is big time into UK ball and Ive actually heard him talk about this kid before. Big ups to the coaching staff on this one.

Here what a Cats fan/journalist had to say about McClintock

"One last thing, Hunter McClintock. I have read a lot of different things about this kid. I think that he is quick but not fast, has a nice cross-over and a soft touch. Hunter is very aggressive which can lead to a load of turnovers ala Bradley. I think that at best the kid could provide some energy and a quick spark off of the bench. He needs to work hard to develop a larger arsenal of dribble maneuvers, because he looks to be a pattern player.  Overall I guess that I would have to agree with Mr Demling on this one. Save the scholarship and encourage the kid to walk on."

http://alleyoopscoop.wordpress.com/2008/05/27/we-are-all-fat-kids-that-love-cake-hunter-mcclintock/

Here what a Cats fan/journalist had to say about McClintock

"One last thing, Hunter McClintock. I have read a lot of different things about this kid. I think that he is quick but not fast, has a nice cross-over and a soft touch. Hunter is very aggressive which can lead to a load of turnovers ala Bradley. I think that at best the kid could provide some energy and a quick spark off of the bench. He needs to work hard to develop a larger arsenal of dribble maneuvers, because he looks to be a pattern player.  Overall I guess that I would have to agree with Mr Demling on this one. Save the scholarship and encourage the kid to walk on."

http://alleyoopscoop.wordpress.com/2008/05/27/we-are-all-fat-kids-that-love-cake-hunter-mcclintock/

Figures. If a 'Cats fan doesn't like him, that just proves to me that the kid probably is incredible.

Ask the 3 or 4 defenders that he left on the floor about this dribbling maneuvers

One thing that's great about all those big-time schools showing so much early interest and then apparently backing off: he will be extremely motivated to prove what a mistake they made.

Quick but not fast? Didn't it say he ran a 4.5 40? This is the kind of recruit we need.  Keep 'em coming!

He had offers from Wash. st  and W. Kentucky this spring and a LOT of schools were trying to get in on him.

This is a very nice signing for ORU and Crutch did a great job locking him down for the good guys!

I will temper my enthusiasm until I hear about him in class in August but based on what I saw, I might be having dreams of H-Mac to DBH tonight...

He had offers from Wash. st  and W. Kentucky this spring and a LOT of schools were trying to get in on him.

This is a very nice signing for ORU and Crutch did a great job locking him down for the good guys!

There was a very telling quote in the interview off YouTube:  "I want to go to a place where I won't be on a leash".

Translation:  I want to play in a system where I have the chance to get significant minutes right from the start, where I have a green light to shoot, and where I won't get yanked just for making an aggressive mistake.

BCS schools can't make those kinds of promises - too many good players on their roster.

We, however, can.  :-D

There was a very telling quote in the interview off YouTube:  "I want to go to a place where I won't be on a leash".

Translation:  I want to play in a system where I have the chance to get significant minutes right from the start, where I have a green light to shoot, and where I won't get yanked  just for making an aggressive mistake.

BCS schools can't make those kinds of promises - too many good players on their roster.

We, however, can.  :-D

Maybe he saw one of our games on FCS where Jarvis (senior, who won't be in the way for PT next year) didn't get pulled after missing multiple ridiculous shots and said "THAT'S where I'm going! :wink:

Maybe he saw one of our games on FCS where Jarvis (senior, who won't be in the way for PT next year) didn't get pulled after missing multiple ridiculous shots and said "THAT'S where I'm going! :wink:

It's also the same argument we had about Rotnei--do you want to be a rock star at a mid-major or just another guy on the bench at a BCS school?

To put some reality into perspective here, I did read a box score that came up in a Google search last night on this kid and his stats from a game with Patterson earlier this season were very human-like:  16 minutes, 1-6 from the field, 3-4 from the free throw line, 5 total points with three rebounds, 1 assist and 3 turnovers. 

I'm sure that Hunter is very good (as shown from his videos) and once he gets to know his teammates and acclimates to the speed of D-1, he will be a great addition to Scott Sutton's system (i.e., not doing too much on his own, passing three times before looking for a shot, etc.), but in the meantime, let's get our expectations in line with a freshman coming in from Prep school, give the kid a chance to be a kid and enjoy his development as a Golden Eagle - what say you?

...let's get our expectations in line with a freshman coming in from Prep school, give the kid a chance to be a kid and enjoy his development as a Golden Eagle - what say you?

Ah, c'mon - where's the fun in that??  :wink:

Showtime!

the guy is a nice interview.  It will be great to anchor the team with a good point guard again.