Re: CBI/College Insider Projection

TrueBlue82

Basketball is always good.  There's nothing wrong with this tournament.  Play ball.

That's a good sumation of my take.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bballmangc

• tmh8286

• Old Titan

• TrueBlue82

The two big negatives I see about this tournament are that it is largely based around politics and money

that sounds like the other tournaments too...especially NIT.

that sounds like the other tournaments too...especially NIT.

The NIT is supposed to be different, now that they take regular season conference champs.  But yeah, last year some stinkers with large fan bases got in the field.  They were notoriously driven by politics and money before the NCAA bought the tournament.

The 600 lb. gorilla on these tournaments is the economy.  Can four postseason tournaments really make money this year?  Are there that many schools who want to pony up the cash to make it work?

Basketball is always good.  There's nothing wrong with this tournament.  Play ball.

Exactly - why not play when you can?

Beats trying to find decent pick-up games at the A.C.

Alright, you guys talked me into it.  Let's play.  Can ORU could sell $50,000 worth of tickets to a home game like this?  I guess the opponent would matter some.   

I doubt that the CBI looks our way, and the $50,000 was last year's CBI price tag.  I have no idea what the CollegeInsider.com's price tag would be but I suspect it would be a little less than $50,000.

TU got in at the last minute last year because we were willing to pay the cost of the home game; a lot of other programs weren't.

Surprisingly, I agree with almost everything Gold said, but I don't think it is accurate to say that Tulsa got into the CBI at the last minute.  Bubba Cunningham, TU's athletic director had already established a relationship with the contacts at the CBI during the season and was building that relationship throughout the year.  In fact, Bubba interviewed one of the CBI key decision makers (I think it was the CBI Director but I don't remember his name) on his weekly "Bubba Cunningham" show and was politicking and almost begging him to remember Tulsa when the CBI selection process came around.

I was impressed with how proactive Bubba was, and I think those relationships laid the foundation for Tulsa getting a CBI invite.  So, it doesn't hurt that Jim Kerwin and Rich Zsovec (not to mention Nolan Richardson) are on the CollegeInsider.com selection committee because they know first hand about the quality of ORU's program over the last 5 years.  With all of these tournaments though it probably comes down to $$$.

(not to mention Nolan Richardson)

Yes, I would not mention Nolan Richardson in any discussion of people who are likely to help ORU in any way.

Alright, you guys talked me into it.  Let's play.  Can ORU could sell $50,000 worth of tickets to a home game like this?  I guess the opponent would matter some.   

Unfortunately, no. We could not sell $50,000 in tickets.

Maybe if we played Okie St., we would.

Frankly, I think the opportunity for a home game is minimal to none.  And, I think ORU only has a chance at an invite if a regional team (in OK, MO, AR, KS, DFW area) accepts a home bid - and we become an attractive (and inexpensive) opponent.  If no other school within 250 miles gets in as a home team, I think our season is done.

I doubt that the CBI looks our way, and the $50,000 was last year's CBI price tag.  I have no idea what the CollegeInsider.com's price tag would be but I suspect it would be a little less than $50,000.

Surprisingly, I agree with almost everything Gold said, but I don't think it is accurate to say that Tulsa got into the CBI at the last minute.  Bubba Cunningham, TU's athletic director had already established a relationship with the contacts at the CBI during the season and was building that relationship throughout the year.  In fact, Bubba interviewed one of the CBI key decision makers (I think it was the CBI Director but I don't remember his name) on his weekly "Bubba Cunningham" show and was politicking and almost begging him to remember Tulsa when the CBI selection process came around.

I was impressed with how proactive Bubba was, and I think those relationships laid the foundation for Tulsa getting a CBI invite.  So, it doesn't hurt that Jim Kerwin and Rich Zsovec (not to mention Nolan Richardson) are on the CollegeInsider.com selection committee because they know first hand about the quality of ORU's program over the last 5 years.  With all of these tournaments though it probably comes down to $$$.

Bubba really worked the phones to make it work and he is all about the politics.  But it was very last minute.  I remember staying up late Sunday night waiting on the word when most of the rest of the field was already known.  It looked very last minute.  Like a lot of things, there is probably more to the story.

Dave Pemberton is reporting on his blog that Oakland has "a good shot" at hosting a game in the CollegeInsider.com tournament.

I would think that Oakland would have a good chance at an NIT bid...

The Wichita State Shockers' message board is reporting that they have been invited to the CBI Tournament - which makes sense given the tickets they can sell for a home game. (10,500 in the 'Round House') Someone on their board said ORU might make a good opponent. That also makes sense given the close proximity of Tulsa to Wichita.... just a short (3 hour) bus ride. What do you think our chances are?

Both teams have a 500 record against D1 teams. With Withita St. at 16-16 and an RPI of 157 and ORU at 15-15 (Roger St. is non D1) and an RPI of 144 , I would not at all be suprised if we get matched up with them. They seem like a very comparable matchup. Like I said before, it would be nice to knock off a quality MVC team.

Bring on the Shockers, baby....that would get TheEagleman fired up after a weekend of rainout disappointment vs. Dallas Baptist.... :-D

Not that ORU  has any chance of a CBI bid, but the way things are going in the conference tournaments, it probably would'nt have been a bad deal.

With unexpected winners of the conference tournaments, a lot of really good teams will be pushed down into the NIT, and a lot of good teams will presumably settle for the CBI.

Wichita State's athletic website confirms the CBI invitation.  From a logistical standpoint, ORU would be an excellent opponent... stay tuned!

Thanks for the update on this, JB.  I saw that the NIT invitations go out at 8:00 CDT on ESPNU, so the official CBI invitations will be announced shortly thereafter, I would think.  Likewise, the CollegeBasketballInsider.net guys will be fighthing to get their field in place concurrently.  Should be interesting to see how these brackets get filled with four different post-season tournaments.

On an unrelated note, when I went to www.goshockers.com to see the Wichita announcement, I saw that the baseball team is selling a mini-pack of seven games, including Long Beach State, Nebraska, Oral Roberts, Creighton and Kansas State.  Nice to be included in such company....