Re: CBI/College Insider Projection

TrueBlue82

One thing we (at least I) haven't thought about is how bad will the officiating be for this tournament?  It's bad enough we had the crap of the crap all year but now with the major tournaments (regionals, etc) coming up everywhere across the country, what should we expect with the CBI?

Will we have the advantage, since we've dealt with it all year? Or should we just get ready to welcome Wegenke and Nokawalski (sp?) to town again?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bballmangc

• tmh8286

• Old Titan

• TrueBlue82

I think a lot of us are more against it because we saw all of the coverage that Tulsa got last year from winning it.  Were the wins overhyped, of course they were;  but they were trying to sell tickets and sell packages for the next year (don't really know how much it helped, if it all).  But did it help the team get better?  I think it did and some experiences in that tournament were what helped them this season. 

One thing we (at least I) haven't thought about is how bad will the officiating be for this tournament?  It's bad enough we had the crap of the crap all year but now with the major tournaments (regionals, etc) coming up everywhere across the country, what should we expect with the CBI?

Will we have the advantage, since we've dealt with it all year? Or should we just get ready to welcome Wegenke and Nokawalski (sp?) to town again?

Shouldn't there be more referees available now after all the conferences tournaments are over?  The CBI won't be scheduling games on days that the NCAA tournament is on so they will only compete with a 32 team field in the NIT.  There should be more refs available. 

The way I see it (like many on here) is that we can either end the season with a loss to the 11-20, RPI #280-something Jackrabbits, or we can practice for another week or two and get at least one game, maybe more, against a quality opponent.  Seems like an easy decision.

Every team in both tournaments will have a winning record, and we will have a legitimate chance at beating any of them.  Also, many of them are the types of teams we would be scheduling in the regular season if we could get them to play us.

We played a VERY good opponent in last year's NCAA's. And all of our seniors logged significant minutes in that game. And Hardy possibly had his best game at ORU, up to this point.

What did that do for us this year??

I'm not saying more games necessarily hurts us, but it doesn't really matter for next year. The issues that it appears our team has won't be settled with a couple of games in the CBI.

If we play it, thats fine, I will watch and cheer anytime we take the floor. But I'm not hanging on to any hope that this going to springboard us into next season as a better squad.

But, I'm not holding my breath on this deal

Oakland, with 20 wins, a 2nd-place tournament finish, and a couple of signature wins (Oregon, NDSU) should get post-season consideration before we do, don't you think?

Yes, and another projection site, NIT-ology (http://www.nitology.com/) has Oakland in one of the"extra" tournaments and not us.

I don't know anything about the financials, travel, etc. regarding the CBI, but from a fan:

Maybe it's good thing we got shut out of both the NCAA and the NIT... we didn't exactly deserve to win the regular season this year. That would have been the biggest back-in job of all time... and would have just given us a chance to put a positive spin on a consistently inconsistent team.

I hope it DOES hurt really bad. It SHOULD hurt. I'm pissed and I'm just a fan. Maybe a little anger will help these guys turn this into a great program, not just a really program that gets upsets and can win its conference tournament when its played in its hometown.

We gave 3 teams in our own conference their biggest wins in the history of their respective programs. One on our own floor, and one when IT SHOULD HAVE MATTERED THE MOST.

Good teams don't do that.

Yeah....let's call it a season at 16-15....TheEagleman can't take any more disappointment and do we really want to wind up as an or'doerve on the road for some middle of the road major like Nebraska or Baylor or whatever?.....but if you guys think it helps the young kids like DoMo, Stokes and Rogers.......well....... :-P

So lets say we play in the CBI , and win out. That would put us at 20-16, right? Maybe Mikes hopes of us getting to 20 wins is not out the question after all.

I think we can all agree that we "can" beat any team in the CBI. I remember last year, certain teams would only schedule teams that met a certain RPI requirement. A win or two in this tourney would only help our RPI. We "could" also win out and gain good local coverage. Not to mention, we get the chance to knock off a quality MVC or SoCon team. Call me an optimist; I just want more ORU basketball.

On the flip side, if we lose we will lose to an Oakland caliber team, which in my mind would be a respectable loss and bump our RPI down a little. I've handled enough losses this year to swallow one more.

Basically,  I think the pros weigh out the Cons.

I would be a little surprised if we were offered to play in one of these 2 tournaments given our 16-15 record, but since we have been to 3-straight NCAA tournaments recently and a better RPI than you would expect for our record, I suppose it is possible.

If we were offered an opportunity to play, I would be disappointed if we didn't take the opportunity to do so.  For one thing, if we won a couple games, it makes our record look a little better.  But mainly I'm sure it would mean a lot to our seniors to get a chance to redeem themselves a little for the way the last 2 games went.  Also, extra practice time and game time means a lot for the team and the coaches.

Let's face it, the fact that 129 teams will be invited to post-season play this year is ridiculous.  If you can't make the NCAA or NIT, it's an embarrassment to play in anything else.  However, with 129 teams still playing in mid-March, if you AREN'T invited to post-season, then you might as well be playing in the NAIA.  In other words, it's a WORSE embarrassment to NOT be included!

I say... if we're invited and the team is excited about playing... bring it on!

However, the chances of a home game - especially during ORU Spring Break - are minimal.

The CBI tournament is interested in 8 teams that will be willing to pay around $50,000 per home game in the CBI tournament.  Once they lock in those schools, then they want another 8 teams who are willing to travel to those other 8 schools and who would be willing down the road to potentially pay $50,000 to host a home game if they were to make the semi-finals or finals.

The finals of this tournament is a best 2 out of 3 format, so each of the teams in the finals will host at least 1 home game.  So I guess if you participate in the CBI as a "road team", you would still be expected to pay to host at least 1 home game if you made the finals.  Last year TU hosted 5 home games in the CBI, and sold out their arena with $10 tickets for most of those games, including 2 in the finals.  I would guess that even with the cheaper tickets they still ended up coming out ahead after paying the $50,000 per game fee due to concessions, etc., but the exposure in the Tulsa area was significant and it also inflated their win-loss record big time.

http://www.gazellegroup.com/events/cbi/index_main.htm

The CollegeInsider.com tournament is new and there are a few interesting coaches on their selection committee including: Jim Kerwin (former Western Illinois coach), Rich Zsovec (former UMKC coach) and Nolan Richardson (former Arkansas and Tulsa coach).  I would guess that if we were invited to a tournament, this would be the one.

http://www.collegeinsider.com/tournament/

http://www.collegeinsider.com/tournament/committee.html

Why would ORU be invited over the team that lost in the Summit finals? It's bad enough losing in the Summit conference tournament, but getting snubbed by the CBI? aghhhhhh

You got me looking at the college insider web page and I HAD to look at their College Basketball's 50 sexiest list.  I only found one Summit coach - Kampe.  :?

http://www.collegeinsider.com/sexiest/page3.html

From the article:

"GREG KAMPE (Oakland): Very low-key, but highly motivated. . ."

VERY LOW-KEY???  They've never seen this guy coach :lol:!!!

Why don't we start our own tournament - call it the ORU Invitational - and NOT invite Ron Hunter! :evil:

I'm still not getting my hopes up, but I'm betting that to our coaches and players, this is a no-brainer:  If invited to play, they would want to take it.  Mike Carter's concern, as it should be, would be whether we can financially afford any commitments we are getting ourselves into.

Can't imagine why this team, who many of us (me included) predicted would have a sub-.500 record this year, would turn up their noses at a chance to be among the handful of schools still playing this time of year.

It's not exactly the NIT leftovers, though the selection process this year will be interesting to watch.  Last year several schools chose the CBI over the NIT, for whatever reason -- I think the CBI made deals with them about home games or something like that.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I can't fathom what makes this tournament a Ponzi scheme.  It doesn't really fit the definition -- they don't go out and get more teams in order to pay others.  Another attempt to make some money off of undervalued young men?  I'll listen there.

The two big negatives I see about this tournament are that it is largely based around politics and money and that there are folks in the media who bash it because they have nothing better to do.  TU got in at the last minute last year because we were willing to pay the cost of the home game; a lot of other programs weren't.  It ends up being more expensive to host the home game because, IIRC, you have to guarantee a certain amount of revenue.  A few coaches out there really complained and I think there was some merit.  And there are some bullies out there in the media who kind of miss the point; Reuben Diaz was making fun of the tournament until TU won, at which point he acted like it was a great thing.

Relatedly, TU didn't hang a CBI banner until late in the season.  I'd love to know the story on that deal, but perhaps it's better if it stays quiet.

Basketball is always good.  There's nothing wrong with this tournament.  Play ball.