Re: CBI/College Insider Projection

TrueBlue82

Even if we were to play in the CBI or whatever they calling themselves this year who's to say we would recieve a home game? Valpo didn't last year. They had to go on the road to Washington. It's all a matter of how much you're willing to pay out to the Gazelle Group. Not worth it.

Maybe not worth it to pay money for a home game, but would be worth travelling one more time to get some more experience for the team...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bballmangc

• tmh8286

• Old Titan

• TrueBlue82

Maybe not worth it to pay money for a home game, but would be worth travelling one more time to get some more experience for the team...

And, if we play a road game, we have to pay for flights, travel, etc....

Do you think that's worth it for more real game experience?  Plus a little more exposure in areas we may not have much coverage in?

I get the 'honor our seniors' angle, but not quite sure how this gives our guys experience for next year. We are going to have two brand-new guys playing the most important positions on the floor anyway.

These guys have gone after it hard since October, including a crazy non-conference schedule, and long conference season. Another week of shooting 1000 jumpers or getting yelled at about defense just to play in college basketball's version of the GMAC bowl won't help much, IMO.

If they wanted more experience playing together in big games, they should have started in Sioux Falls...The best thing for the guys coming back is to get completely away from this season, come back fresh, head's cleared and go back to work together in the offseason....

We can just think of it as a Practice tourney for next year's big dance. The new guys could benefit from a  lil tourney experience. I say any tourney is a good thing, even if it is the CBI.

And, if we play a road game, we have to pay for flights, travel, etc....

Supposedly, the CBI paid a fair amount of Valpo's costs to get out to Washington last year.

It would keep our string of post-season appearances alive at six in a row...

But, I'm not holding my breath on this deal - I'm guessing those projections were made before we lost in the first round in Sioux Falls, and they presumed we would end up No. 2 in the league for the regular AND post-season.

Oakland, with 20 wins, a 2nd-place tournament finish, and a couple of signature wins (Oregon, NDSU) should get post-season consideration before we do, don't you think?

If i had any confidence that they could make some noise, i would say do it. but, this could be another game where we have a demoralizing first round loss. 

Honestly, i think they would take an invite. College kids, especially seniors are always looking for one more game to play.  But i dont think they need to play in to salvage the season or anything. to use an over used cleche: This season is what it is: mediocre.  Some fun moments, some frustrating.

If i had any confidence that they could make some noise, i would say do it. but, this could be another game where we have a demoralizing first round loss. 

Honestly, i think they would take an invite. College kids, especially seniors are always looking for one more game to play.  But i dont think they need to play in to salvage the season or anything. to use an over used cleche: This season is what it is: mediocre.  Some fun moments, some frustrating.

Really up to the players and coaches.  If offered, I wouldn't be disappointed if they chose to decline or chose to play.  I'm good either way.

As coaches and players I would think they would want to play another game...

I would leave it up to the players first, then the coaches if the players are not sure.  I think I would rather not see us go.  This particular team has run its course and we should look to the future.  Maybe if we play, we should play without the seniors (I realize that would really be ugly) and consider it a jump start on next year.

Am I seeing this all wrong or what?  The way I see it, the only way we gain from this tournament is if we win the CBI because that is what the team that we are most compared to did. . . and personally, I don't think that we walk away with the trophy in this one . . . not this year. What it would potentially give next year's team is more experience in losing. They don't need that and neither do this year's seniors. They have run their course and given us what they could. I think we have to respect that and leave it at that.

Will it help us recruiting? How do you beat seeing us win on national television . . . seeing us lose in some rinky-dink contest at another school?  :| I don't think so. With the TV deals and our record from previous seasons as well as our good run into most of this year, I think we got as much out of this year as we could. The only way I would say we should do this is if it helps one of our seniors go pro. Otherwise I think we lose ground all the way around.

I don't see how you can lose ground by playing against other D-1 opponents.  It doesn't make sense should we just send them back to go play each other in the practice gym?  Why do we try to take a Canadian tour to get more practice time and gametime experience.  In my opinion ,with our young team the more time against other opponents at the same level or better is a good thing.  Why would a loss in the CBI give us more experience in losing?  if anything when we lose in the tournament it will be another growing pain and one step closer for the next season.  After a few weeks off everyone on the team should be back practicing, playing and practicing a few more times against other opponents besides themselves should do nothing but give us another step in the right direction.