ORU vs SDSU

MrsSmith

Also, speaking of the Sumit Tourney....

When USD is added there will be 4 Summit schools within 5 hours of Sioux Falls;

SDSU - 45 minutes

USD - 1 hr

NDSU - 3 hrs

UMKC - 5 hrs

(if and when UND is added there will be 5 as UND is 4 hrs from S.F.)

I think you are underestimating the fans in the Dakotas.  NDSU is all Fargo has and their fanbase is unreal.  In 2007 the NDSU-Minnesota football game was the biggest draw that year for Minnesota.  ANd you saw how they traveled to the NCAA game last year.  Right behind them is the SDSU people.  In our D2 heyday (I know, I know) we put 5,000+ in  Frost Arena and were always top 3 in attendance in D2.

NDSU, USD, UND, Augustana and other schools up here were always in the top 10.  I can tell you there is more optimism and excitement for SDSU right now than possibly any other time.  Our football team is very good, our women are obviously very good and people see that our mens team is turning the corner and has alot of young talent.

Now throw in USD.  The SDSU-USD rivalry is unbelievable and very passionate (oldest State vs. U rivalry in the country).  Their admittance to the Summit only helps SDSU and helps energize the fanbase and gives more attention to the Summit statewide.  When USD joins the Summit and the tourney is in Sioux Falls it will be amazing.  Throw in UND and lookout.  Four Dakota schools who all have great fans and will show up.  Sioux Falls is also getting a new arena.  They say they're going to pattern it after the Qwest Center in Omaha (15k-17k seating). We had a great tourney this year at our old 6k seat place.  Wait til we get the new digs!

And we haven't even talked about Fargo wanting to host the event.  Like I said, their community support is the best in the Summit and it's also well within trveling distance of the Dakota schools.  Sioux Falls is going to be hard to outbid.....especially after what we did this year.  What is the word down there?  Does Tulsa want it back?  Is there a chance you can get it back? 

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• bballmangc

• OKC Eagle

• ORUTerry

We can get some bad weather in March, but it's seldom "sub-zero".

I'm sure you know the numbers from this years Summit tourney.  You know that records were shattered before a game was even played and that the records for women's attendance was broke....on the first day.

Sioux Falls (community of 200k, 45 minutes south of Brookings) loves it's sports.  We've had the model CBA/NBDL team for 20 years.  Our indoor football team (4 titles in a row and a record for most consecutive wins by a pro franchise) sells out regularily, our independent baseball team (champs last year) draws well as does our USHL hockey team (2x champs), Augustana College just built a new state of the art football stadium, U of Sioux Falls (defending NAIA football champs) built a new stadium last year and have been runner-up or won the NAIA the past 5 years and have lost one conference game in something like the last 7 years. 

On top of that we have unbelievable cooperate support.  Daktronics, Citi are just a couple and the big ones as is Sanford Health.  Joe Krabbenhoft from Wisconsin?  His dad runs Sanford.  T Denny Sanford just donated $400 million to the hospital (why it is named Sanford).  Dana Dykhouse (SDSU alum) is in w/ Sanford and just donated $6 million to SDSU for a student athlete center at the football stadium and runs First Premier bank and bankcard.  Anyway, these guys and others will step up and do everything they can to try and keep it in Sioux Falls as often as possible.

It was sub-zero, go back and look. 

The ironic thing is that you don't even remember it - just another spring day in South Dakota, I suppose.

BTW, how long have you worked for the Sioux Falls Chamber of Commerce?  :wink:

I know the weather stunk.  Sub-zero?  I kind of doubt it (sheesh you guys are soft  :wink:)

Seriously, it was beautiful up here until like a day before the Summit tourney.  I remember commenting on it when it happened.  I remember talking to someone about the bad timing of the weather standing in the beer line before a game.

On a side note, our NBDL coach just resigned to take the same position for the Tulsa 66ers.  He is a kid who played his HS ball here and played for USD.  Not sure why he left, haven't heard the whole story.  His father passed away a couple years ago but was the head coach for a Roosevelt girls HS hoops team where he was 227-28 and won 6 titles (5 in a row) and a record 111 straight games.

Geez....enough already.....how soon can we move to the MVC?..... :-D

Geez....enough already.....how soon can we move to the MVC?..... :-D

Oh, we shouldn't have to put up with this for long:  the Dakota schools are apparently just a season or two away from being asked to join the Big XII or Pac-10...  :roll:

Oh, we shouldn't have to put up with this for long:  the Dakota schools are apparently just a season or two away from being asked to join the Big XII or Pac-10...  :roll:

We have just as much chance at the Big XII as you do the Valley.  Now you'll get mad and let the insults fly, but it's true. 

We have just as much chance at the Big XII as you do the Valley.  Now you'll get mad and let the insults fly, but it's true. 

Not talking smack??  It seems like you're TRYING to provoke a response :| . . .

Recently was notified on this item featured on BisonSports.  ORU fans probably will be more interested in the second paragraph.....

The SDSU men finally took the next step in their season. They finished out a game in the second half that seemed all but impossible. All season they struggled on the road. Yes I know this was hardly a road game given the deafening roar of the crowd everytime SDSU players did something good or ORU’s players did something bad but still. The SDSU men have not finished off an opponent in the second half nearly all season so to do it in the conference tourney against the #2 seed is nothing short of remarkable. While I give the SDSU men props for the comeback win I give the SDSU fans a big thumbs down for rooting against my Bison team.

One more comment I forgot to make.  We all know how good ORU has been in the past four years in the Summit Tourney going 11-1 but did you realize that ORU when playing in the Summit Tourney when it’s not in Tulsa lost in the first round the last three times they played outside of Tulsa.  ORU has never won two games in a tournament outside of Tulsa since joining the league.  Show’s how important having the tourney in a friendly atmosphere really is.

Just a couple random thoughts while I'm over here....

In the game at the Mabee, where ORU won a close one.  ORU shot 28 FT's to 9 for SDSU.  Wonder if the same ORU fans were upset at the officials that night?

Also, I watched that game on TV.  It looked like you had 500 people in attendance.  You guys have made fun of us on here, but I guarantee if SDSU makes three straight NCAA tourneys we're talking about adding on to Frost Arena, not about 500 people at a conference game.

Yeah and last year the tournament was played in SD and you didnt even make the championship game. Congrats.

In the game at the Mabee, where ORU won a close one.  ORU shot 28 FT's to 9 for SDSU.  Wonder if the same ORU fans were upset at the officials that night?

Also, I watched that game on TV.  It looked like you had 500 people in attendance.  You guys have made fun of us on here, but I guarantee if SDSU makes three straight NCAA tourneys we're talking about adding on to Frost Arena, not about 500 people at a conference game.

Ha! Are there even 500 people in South Dakota?  ::)

Glad to hear you actually had power in February so you could see the game; running the old gas generator just to watch TV after losing your electricity in another blizzard can get really expensive.

Please feel free to blow up decades-old Frostbite Arena before adding on to it - otherwise, you're just putting spinners on a Studebaker.

Now, shouldn't you be fattening up before hibernating this winter, or chopping firewood during the thaw, or something like that, as opposed to persisting as a general nuisance on our message board?  :x

Yep....in our first year as a full fledged D1 member. 

Patience.

Oh, but didn't you win like 35 straight D II championships??  :roll:

Listen, JackSh#%@*T.....TheEagleman thinks that if you research it, you'll find that most mid major conferences where conference tournaments are played in or near the home city of one of the members experience the same thing..."home" teams are going to have a huge advantage in not having to travel and also support of a majority of the fans...not surprisingly, ORU won all but one of the years in Tulsa but we also had a really good team....I am sure we will be a lot more competitive next year in Sioux Falls....we really had a mediocre squad this year and still kicked your A$$ 2 out of 3 including a 9 pt win up on your floor when we were playing some of our worst ball of the season early on....like most ORU fans, TheEagleman can't wait for our boys in blue to administer another bit of whoopA$$ on your fighting Jackrabbits....it's gonna be a lot of fun...... :-D

Cornelius and Old Titan - you guys have never been to South Dakota (or north of Kansas City?) have you?  That's too bad. 

Listen, JackSh#%@*T.....TheEagleman thinks that if you research it, you'll find that most mid major conferences where conference tournaments are played in or near the home city of one of the members experience the same thing..."home" teams are going to have a huge advantage in not having to travel and also support of a majority of the fans...

I agree.  Don't kill the messenger guys, I wasn't the one who wrote the blog that has your panties in a bunch.  Relax. 

Yesterday on PTI WIlbon was talking about how sports can, at times, bring out the worst in people.  I think that includes people on message boards.  I try not to type anything I wouldn't say to anyones face.  I don't think I've been out of line over here but some people (and I've even seen this on our board) just do not want to here from anyone not waving the pom-poms.