How to get more ORU students to the B-ball games

ORUJason

I hope it got shot down for no other reason than budget...any other reason is ludicrous.

SafetySuit (started as 'Crew' at ORU) is slowly but surely getting bigger...perhaps after another year of progress they'll be big enough that everyone will want to bring them back.

No, it was within budget, just got shot down. We had been in contact with them for a few weeks before we were told no on our end.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Minyard

• LarryL

• theeagleman5

• ORU Eli

What eez theez SafetySuit??

They started as Crew at ORU...lived on YB around the time I went to school 2000-2004. They randomly decided to put together some songs for Battle of the Bands at homecoming one year and did so well that they stayed together and played a bunch of gigs around Tulsa. They moved out to Nashville area a few years ago, got signed to a legit label, changed their name and considering I've heard them on radio a few times, are doing pretty well.

Here's their first video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCpbmOU6hds

Lock all the doors on campus except the Mabee Center on the days of the basketball games.

You all laugh about that now, but "back in the day" that is exactly what they did. There were no classes scheduled when there was a game and the LRC-GEC was locked. You either sat in the dorm or went to the game. Being at the game was a lot more fun. 

Last night at the BBQ, I was looking around at how many people attending were from that era, and there were quite a few.  It may sound controlling now, but it wasn't a bad thing. It helped us meet more students, because if you weren't there an hour before the game, you wouldn't get a seat.  My mother taught me to love basketball, but ORU made that love come naturally. (Then I married someone who loved all sports and the rest is history.) It doesn't seem like nearly 40 years since I watched Trickey coach our early teams with Bob Brooks as our AD and Fuqua & Fagin playing. WOW.....now that I have made myself feel really old, I think I'll go watch CNN or FOX.