• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Minyard

• LarryL

• theeagleman5

• ORU Eli

The Maniac leaders did some strange things such as a candy eating contest and a dance off type thing.

Candy eating contest? Dance off?

My, how things have changed since my college days... :?

Sounds like the "voice" needs to step in and educate this new generation of college students, much like he did a few years back with JoeyO and that crew.

Candy eating and dance off is not too far off from anything we did...of course we did try to incorporate a little good natured hazing but if it was pointless, goofy, or just downright dumb...we probably did it.

So a friend and former maniac and i were talking today....and we got talkng bout this for a while. things we remembered doing that we really like and some that we didnt.  One thing that we remembered that we really liked and want to see happen more is how we had the tailgating this past yr. 

At college football and even baseball tailgating is prolly one of the more fun things associated with the games.  sure it is usually nicer weather and at most schools, alcohol plays a big part of it.  But even last yr when we had the tailgating, i had a blast, actually got to know some of the other serious fans (not in maniacs), and i just love cooking on the grill. Is there some way we can do more tailgating, even if its in the lower lot, and not right by the mabee.  that way students will absolutely know about it being gameday and they will be able to meet up with other people who will go to the games.  I dunno how many times i heard people say they didnt know anyone going and didnt wanna go by themselves. this would allow more people to find out whos going...

Even if u have some of the students or other people in bands come play a mini show at the tailgate and then give them a 5 or 10 minute set at halftime.  Not to mention, i know a lot of newer musicians who will go to Nordaggios or riverwalk or somewhere just to play some music and get their name out there.  This would provide them a chance to do that......most would do it for free.  some people, especially students, would come for the music and its inevitable after going to games, u just get hooked on goinig.  it will attract new people and remind those who are on the fence.

just a couple ideas...

So a friend and former maniac and i were talking today....and we got talkng bout this for a while. things we remembered doing that we really like and some that we didnt.  One thing that we remembered that we really liked and want to see happen more is how we had the tailgating this past yr. 

At college football and even baseball tailgating is prolly one of the more fun things associated with the games.  sure it is usually nicer weather and at most schools, alcohol plays a big part of it.  But even last yr when we had the tailgating, i had a blast, actually got to know some of the other serious fans (not in maniacs), and i just love cooking on the grill. Is there some way we can do more tailgating, even if its in the lower lot, and not right by the mabee.  that way students will absolutely know about it being gameday and they will be able to meet up with other people who will go to the games.  I dunno how many times i heard people say they didnt know anyone going and didnt wanna go by themselves. this would allow more people to find out whos going...

Even if u have some of the students or other people in bands come play a mini show at the tailgate and then give them a 5 or 10 minute set at halftime.  Not to mention, i know a lot of newer musicians who will go to Nordaggios or riverwalk or somewhere just to play some music and get their name out there.  This would provide them a chance to do that......most would do it for free.  some people, especially students, would come for the music and its inevitable after going to games, u just get hooked on goinig.  it will attract new people and remind those who are on the fence.

just a couple ideas...

Bravo Jazzo! Way to get those creative juices flowing! I'm too far away to comment on the specific places you're talking about, but I think generally that the ideas have potential. Make the game part of an overall entertainment package to at least get those so inclined in contact with one another.

Three lucky fans were the big prize winners on the night. OU students Ryan Gentry and Anna Costa won free tuition prizes, while Darias Thompson collected a 23 inch flat screen television, courtesy of the athletic department and the office of the president.

I took the above sentences from a description of a Midnite Madnezz occasion held at Oakland early in October to introduce all their athletic teams. The free tuition prizes made me wonder if we couldn't offer a ticket towards a free tuition (or part thereof) draw to be held at half-time of the final home game of the regular season. Every home game attendance would be worth 1 ticket and a road trip (Tulsa) 10. What do you think?

Three lucky fans were the big prize winners on the night. OU students Ryan Gentry and Anna Costa won free tuition prizes, while Darias Thompson collected a 23 inch flat screen television, courtesy of the athletic department and the office of the president.

I took the above sentences from a description of a Midnite Madnezz occasion held at Oakland early in October to introduce all their athletic teams. The free tuition prizes made me wonder if we couldn't offer a ticket towards a free tuition (or part thereof) draw to be held at half-time of the final home game of the regular season. Every home game attendance would be worth 1 ticket and a road trip (Tulsa) 10. What do you think?

The ORU Sports Marketing department has put on a wide variety of events and promotions over the past decade to spark student and fan interest at the beginning of the season, including Midnight Madness (at both the Mabee Center and the Aerobics Center), late-night pep rallies and "Spirit Marches", ice cream and watermelon socials, music concerts, prize giveaways (similar to those described above), autograph sessions at everything from shopping malls to Wendy's Hamburgers, etc.

The Annual "Slam-n-Jam" will no doubt include a sampling of in-game promotions, along with some nice prizes, as it does every year.  Along with a slam dunk and 3-point shooting competition, and intersquad scrimmage, as it always does.

One thing that an event like this will do is attract the 8-14 year old boys market.  Boys in particular love the exciting stuff, like slam dunks and 3 point shots.  And, it appears the athletic dept. has caught onto this strategy, which is, if  you can hook the kids into wanting to be at this event, as well as the games, they WILL drag their dads and/or granddads to the games, even if reluctantly.

just a couple ideas.

As an alumnus, I would love to see tailgating before all of the games.  We had a blast even though I was soaked to the skin tailgating last year. The only thing I would change is that we would have more cinnamon rolls, burgers & brats to share with the students and other fans.  Discount Mike's had tons of food in their tent that they wanted to share.  When we go to OU or Chief's football we would miss half of the fun if we didn't tailgate. That is where you make friends and memories.  The guys across from us even had a couch & were playing One Republic....it was great (Has anyone heart the rumor that the Alumni Board is trying to get One Republic for the Friday night before Homecoming? Hopefully they won't leave on their European tour before then.)

Lock all the doors on campus except the Mabee Center on the days of the basketball games.

Cute.  Nothing like a little martial law to fire up the student body!

Why stop there?  Maybe room sweeps with flash grenades and cattle prods, too.  :roll:

We actually had them last year before it got shot down.

I hope it got shot down for no other reason than budget...any other reason is ludicrous.

SafetySuit (started as 'Crew' at ORU) is slowly but surely getting bigger...perhaps after another year of progress they'll be big enough that everyone will want to bring them back.

Wing competitions!!!!!!!

Sumo, boxing, races of some sort.  Our whole wing would've been there to beat down on someone from Youngblood or Granville.

How come ORU wings don't do competitions like Oklahoma and Oklahoma State on homecoming weekends?  The student section went bonkers when they announced winners of each category at the OU football game this weekend.

Several frats/sororities teamed up together in the competitions.  So it wasn't just a single organization.  It wasn't exclusive to frats/sororities either.  Even the other social clubs could compete.

Athletics could announce the winners at the game on Saturday night, and that could be a new tradition.

TheEagleman loves the cattle prod idea.....OT is a genius!.... :-D