• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Minyard

• LarryL

• theeagleman5

• ORU Eli

Child's play . . .

I kind of figured that some of that was happening, but I still think it somehow injures the spirit of honest exchanges that I thought we are trying to cultivate here. If you are worried about losing some kind of points for making heartfelt and thought out (or sometimes not) comments, I find it a shame. Use your other moniker to boost your points as far as I care (when you take the hits for unpopular positions), but let us know what you really think!

Its really starting to bother me that some of the posters are gettting mor attention that basketball itself.  Keep your egos in check and talk sports. Ignore is a good stragedy. you all ignore my comments all the time.  :wink:

Thanks OT for keeping the threads coming even though there is not alot to discuss.  I cant wait for the season to start.

Maybe TheEagleman should add a new identity.....Jimmy perhaps?.... :-D

The Maniacs event on Tuesday night was a success.  The leadership of the Maniacs did a great job, and a lot of people in attendance left very excited about being a Maniac.

We discussed some goals after the event, and we agreed that 100 paid members is very realistic goal.  A core base of 100 Maniacs would be incredible.  In the past there weren't "membership dues" so it left it pretty easy for a student to walk away.  I think the paid memberships will help keep the students coming back to most games all season long.

I'm very encouraged with the direction of the group, and I think we'll all be pleased with the student section this year.  It might not be exactly where we want it, but it will be heading in the right direction.

A lot of excitement with the Maniacs!

Any estimate on how many were there for the Maniac event?

Who all are in charge now?

I've got four . . . question is, which four?

I guess we now know who is pumping up your user rating. 

Any estimate on how many were there for the Maniac event?

Who all are in charge now?

I don't want to drop their names on the message board.  They have done away with the "President" and other positions.  They are more of a committee now.  The primary reason with the change was to avoid one person receiving all the praise or all the blame.  The approach now is that we are all in this thing together.

I'd say we had roughly 75 kids in Zoppelt... give or take 10.  Coach Sutton and Fink talked to the students, and they both received a very warm welcome.  It was impressive!  Both coaches were blown away by the students.  I was impressed to see how much respect our students had for both coaches.  I think both of our coaches deserve that amount of respect.  Coach Fink said the students got him so pumped up that he thought he might be able to go dunk a basketball.  The whole situation was a bit overwhelming.  It was great to get the coaches in front of the students, so the students could get to know them.  We're really striving to build better relationships with our students.

The Maniac leaders did some strange things such as a candy eating contest and a dance off type thing.  We also had a bunch of door prizes.  Overall, it was very entertaining.  A bit much for me, but the students enjoyed it.  And that's really all that matters in this deal.  I know to stay out of the kitchen with these guys, and to let them do their thing.  I'm just helping them with organization and club benefit fulfillment.

The Maniacs are going to have their big event on Nov. 1.  I'm sure you know what I'm talking about since you were a Maniac.  I'm going to invite players from both the men's and women's teams.  I'll leave it up to the players if they want to participate.

You'd think - but I'm not narcissistic enough to "cheer" for my own takes.  Not sure where they all came from - but none were from my alter-egos!

OK, EagleMan, 'fess up !!! :-D

Any way, that is great about the Maniacs.  Sounds like a solid core of fans that will rub off on the rest of the student population, and other fans.  Go ORU!

...I still think it somehow injures the spirit of honest exchanges that I thought we are trying to cultivate here. If you are worried about losing some kind of points for making heartfelt and thought out (or sometimes not) comments, I find it a shame. Use your other moniker to boost your points as far as I care (when you take the hits for unpopular positions), but let us know what you really think!

Oh, spare me...

"We" are not trying to "cultivate" anything here. 

This is a public forum, not a commune.

The rule of order here is free speech, as long as it's topical and respectful. 

Which means "NoSpinZone" can pass judgement on all the posters he wants, we can then rip him for it all we want, then people can agree or disagree with that all they want, and so forth.

And if anyone chooses to do that anonymously, and under however many guises they choose, that's OK, too. 

They are still "letting you know what they think", perhaps even more so than if their real names were attached.

It's all about the unbridled exchange of opinions and ideas, not the source.

Isn't that why we don't have to sign opinion polls, surveys, or election ballots?

TheEagleman was an original Maniac back in the 70's....our wing used to get on the opposing players pretty good...Oral didn't like it and on more than one occasion got up and stared at our section....one time back in 1974, i believe, i ran into him walking across campus and he recognized me from Mabee Center plus i was also a sports reporter for the Oracle with my own weekly column...he put his arm around me and gently lectured theEagleman about sportsmanship for about 5 minutes as we walked to the LRC together....TheEagleman tried to explain that he was a Philadelphian and it was in our nature to boo and attempt to intimidate the opposition....it was a memorable moment but i don't think i convinced President Roberts to come over to my way of thinking...lol..... :-D

Oh, spare me...

"We" are not trying to "cultivate" anything here. 

This is a public forum, not a commune.

The rule of order here is free speech, as long as it's topical and respectful. 

Which means "NoSpinZone" can pass judgement on all the posters he wants, we can then rip him for it all we want, then people can agree or disagree with that all they want, and so forth.

And if anyone chooses to do that anonymously, and under however many guises they choose, that's OK, too. 

They are still "letting you know what they think", perhaps even more so than if their real names were attached.

It's all about the unbridled exchange of opinions and ideas, not the source.

Isn't that why we don't have to sign opinion polls, surveys, or election ballots?

Of course everyone is free to do whatever he/she wants, OT, within topical and respectful boundaries. And that our culture, especially discussion boards and chat rooms encourage the taking of positions without having to take personal responsibility for them, everyone knows about.

Taking any kind of an independent position at ORU has up until a short time ago been taboo. I am merely making a case for saying what you think and then standing by what you say. If you choose a different method of communication, more power to you. I maintain, however, that I have an easier time respecting those that will stand by what they say, whatever that might be. It is a newly won freedom at ORU that I would hate to see go by the wayside again.

. . . he put his arm around me and gently lectured theEagleman about sportsmanship for about 5 minutes as we walked to the LRC together....

Eagleman . . . are  you saying that, (sniff) Oral took you under his wing, like a mother eagle takes her little Eaglets?? :-D

Sorry, this is unashamedly getting off track, but was anyone else there at Oral's 60th birthday celebration, where the student did a perfect OR impersonation of the "eaglet" story, and then launched into his "Who was that 4th man" sermon?  It was one of my all-time favorite moments at ORU. :-)

Don't forget that a user has to have 300+ posts before he's eligible for giving a Cheer or a Boo...thus, I believe tmh when he says that everyone loves him!!  :wink:

. . . he put his arm around me and gently lectured theEagleman about sportsmanship for about 5 minutes as we walked to the LRC together....

Eagleman . . . are  you saying that, (sniff) Oral took you under his wing, like a mother eagle takes her little Eaglets?? :-D

Sorry, this is unashamedly getting off track, but was anyone else there at Oral's 60th birthday celebration, where the student did a perfect OR impersonation of the "eaglet" story, and then launched into his "Who was that 4th man" sermon?  It was one of my all-time favorite moments at ORU. :-)

At the 60th birthday chapel, I with (1 or 3 other guys) had the privilege of being able to carry Oral hoisted on our shoulders from where he was sitting to the front middle of the platform. We had to be sure that Colin (_?), Oral's bodyguard, was informed of the plan so that we could make it out of there and live to tell about it. :-D

In the glow of that moment, I may have missed some of the other things that transpired that day. :-D I do have a vague recollection though, come to think about it.

Wow!  What an honor to help carry OR in for his birthday celebration!  My memory too is a little hazzy.  For some reason, I have a recollection of everyone gathered around standing up during a birthday celebration, in a location other than chapel. Maybe it was a celebration all the students were invited to later in the afternoon.

I want to say the lobby of Timko-Barton? SAGA, or the floor of the Mabee??  I just remember it was hilarious with the student giving a perfect rendition of the "4th Man sermon".

The guy who imitates Oral to a tee and does "the 4th man" imitation is Pastor Lynwood Wells who was a former dorm mate on Youngblood with TheEagleman and is still a friend...in fact, we had lunch together a few years ago as TheEagleman was passing through Norfolk, VA. on vacation....Lynwood does 4th Man better than Oral himself and actually ghost wrote several of Oral's books back in the 80's while on OR's staff......the guy is a real stitch....and no fan of RR.... :-D