How to get more ORU students to the B-ball games

ORUJason

TheEagleman will take that last remark as a compliment, Eli....and never forget that TheEagleman bleeds blue and gold....

TheEagleman's true identity...Jimmy from Seinfeld

jimmy10.JPG

""Jimmy's under the boards. Jimmy's in the open. Jimmy makes the shot.""

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Minyard

• LarryL

• theeagleman5

• ORU Eli

TheEagleman will take that last remark as a compliment, Eli....and never forget that TheEagleman bleeds blue and gold....at least when it comes to ORU....i agree that ORUBB is a bit too negative but he also just wants to see more students involved....it's sad that Mabee is less than 1/2 full for most games.....especially when we have such a good team the past few seasons....there needs to be a bit more school spirit....how about a pie in the face of LR night....now that would bring 'em in..... :-D

It was a compliment. Sometimes I think your whole 'schtick' is somewhat of an act, but it's a unique and often comical perspective and I can appreciate that. I'm sure ORUBB has pure intentions but he sounds like an old yabbering (not sure if that's a word but it works for me) stick in the mud, especially when it comes to this topic and it hit a nerve. I don't need to hear how lame students are multiple times, once is a enough. If you're not diggin the chili, either leave the table or at least try to spice it up - b****ing about it over and over gets real old real fast.

Thanks for throwing some small bit of positive bone in there.

I don't know if your negativity is a 'bit' (i.e. Eagleman) or not but at least Eagleman can crack people up from time to time. There's nothing wrong with wanting to see things change and voicing your opinion, but, to be honest, your input in general and especially on this thread is so increadibly sarcastic and negative that it sickens me. All you do is gripe and moan.

Gold*'s input is so much more productive than yours and you're supposed to be the ORU fan. ORU students leave something to be desired when it comes to their fanaticism, but they're also part of a unique, incredibly talented and purpose-filled body that I take a lot of pride in.

There's not a polite way to express what I want to say so...please...just shut up if you can't stop the negative griping. It's stupid.

Oh, OK... thanks for the advice.

Here is my final take on this whole matter.

A.  Assumptions:

1.  There seems to have been a shift in the student population from students interested in sports and academics to mostly academics.

2.  We have never quite recovered from coaching changes, NAIA days, etc.

B.  Bottom line:

1.  Seems like the Mikes and others involved are doing their best to create excitement, draw crowds, etc.

2.  When my oldest son played high school basketball, the announcer always ended the pregame with "and remember, let the coaches coach, the referees ref, the players play, and fans clap and yell like crazy".

3.  As we keep winning and recruiting good players, more and more students and other fans will get hooked on endorphins, and won't be able to stay away from the Mabee.

i just don't think the typical ORU student cares enough about athletics to attend most of the games.  they will show up for homecoming and maybe TU at home.  there just isn't a large enough student population to have hundreds, much less thousands, of rabid sports fans that will show up every time the doors open.

ORUalum...you, my friend, are the recipient of the first "Patriot" recognition for your tactful candor and frank honesty.  Your take is refreshing and worthy of recognition because you get it.  Thank you.

So let me introduce the "NoSpinZone" to the board...not here to necessarily offer opinions, but rather simply to recognize quality takes that don't suck with "Patriot" designation and to call out those who conversely offer something worthy of "Pinhead" status.

Hopeful the Patriots far outweigh the Pinheads here, but likely to be a few worthy to be called out when they're out of bounds.

They do it now for chapel.  Why wouldn't they do it for ball games?

:?:-(:?

ttowncount = Patriot ...your courage to be honest is appreciated.

How about making good use of the new plasma screens mounted throughout the LRC/GC complex... big "GAME DAY"   lettering -- maybe on front and back -- to catch students' attention as they are passing by??

And another idea:  "GAME DAY" t-shirts ... for students AND faculty and be encouraged to wear them ... proudly!!

:-D

Quality ideas ttowncount ... thank you!  You, my friend, have just received your second Patriot recognition in the same thread (which will be the exception not the rule but just couldn't be avoided because your takes are both worthy of recognition).

Bite me... you know I'm right and so does everyone else. How can anyone worry about offending people who never show up for anything other than men's soccer, volleyball and chapel? The two best sports (men's hoops, baseball)... the students stay away in droves. They don't deserve anyone's effort. They should show up BECAUSE THEY SHOULD SHOW UP!!! Because the product is damn good, and because it's their school for crying out loud!

Quit pandering to them. Call a spade a spade. Our students could care less about sports and nothing (other than better recruiting by admissions and major changes to the Honor Code) is going to chnage that.

Big Bro, hate to do it but in the spirit of "calling a spade a spade," you have earned the distinction of receiving the first Pinhead designation. 

Anger management, a vacation, a visit to the PCP of your choice to acquire an Rx for something to help take the edge off, a bottle of fine wine, a good book, or anything that will make you smile a little bit more often.  Hate to hear such hostility spewing from you before the season even starts...come on now, you're better than that.

TheEagleman loves Jimmy......... :-D

So let me introduce the "NoSpinZone" to the board...not here to necessarily offer opinions, but rather simply to recognize quality takes that don't suck with "Patriot" designation and to call out those who conversely offer something worthy of "Pinhead" status.

Hopeful the Patriots far outweigh the Pinheads here, but likely to be a few worthy to be called out when they're out of bounds.

Sorry, NoSpinZone, but I think that in order to criticize or commend someone else's comments, you should have the courage to own up to your true identity and put your own opinions out there for evaluation.

You obviously are,though, aren't you, as you sit in judgement of someone else's comments. I, for one, think, however, that it is a somewhat cowardly vantage point from which to confer "Patriots". IMHO.

Big Bro, hate to do it but in the spirit of "calling a spade a spade," you have earned the distinction of receiving the first Pinhead designation. 

Anger management, a vacation, a visit to the PCP of your choice to acquire an Rx for something to help take the edge off, a bottle of fine wine, a good book, or anything that will make you smile a little bit more often.  Hate to hear such hostility spewing from you before the season even starts...come on now, you're better than that.

Actually, I'm not!

Sorry, NoSpinZone, but I think that in order to criticize or commend someone else's comments, you should have the courage to own up to your true identity and put your own opinions out there for evaluation.

You obviously are,though, aren't you, as you sit in judgement of someone else's comments. I, for one, think, however, that it is a somewhat cowardly vantage point from which to confer "Patriots". IMHO.

"NoSpinZone" has a style of grammar and punctuation, above and beyond the weak Bill O'Reilly impersonation, that makes me fairly certain of exactly who he is.

But, since no one can really prove anything regarding a poster's identity, it wouldn't be wise to start accusing anybody of anything.  Besides, who really cares?

Suffice it to say that he already posts on the board under another moniker, and catches all the grief he needs - and richly deserves - in that role.  8-)

"NoSpinZone" has a style of grammar and punctuation, above and beyond the weak Bill O'Reilly impersonation, that makes me fairly certain of exactly who he is.

But, since no one can really prove anything regarding a poster's identity, it wouldn't be wise to start accusing anybody of anything.  Besides, who really cares?

Suffice it to say that he already posts on the board under another moniker, and catches all the grief he needs - and richly deserves - in that role.  8-)

Another moniker...how many does this "person" need??  I agree, OT....if you look and read closely, you can probably tell who this poster's true identity is.

Another moniker...how many does this "person" need??

You're asking ME??

Heck, I'm like "Sybil" when it comes to message board identities - I think I one time had a three-sided argument on here with myself!!  :lol:

Another moniker...how many does this "person" need??  I agree, OT....if you look and read closely, you can probably tell who this poster's true identity is.

I've got four . . . question is, which four?

Seriously, I only have two:  "Old Titan", and one that I drag out on rare occasions for R-rated rants.

Plus, one that I retired a few years back....  :wink:

Monikers are like passwords...if you have too many, you can't keep track of them - which means that you can't keep track of what character you should be playing for the rant that you're on!!  :-D