• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Minyard

• LarryL

• theeagleman5

• ORU Eli

That right there is the primary focus of the Maniacs now.  I know a few years back when the Maniacs were in their prime that people thought they cared more about people looking at them than they did about the actual game... NEWS FLASH!  SO WHAT?

We just want bodies in the student section no matter what their motive.  Basketball games have to become THE social event on campus.  That's really how we are marketing this thing now.

There's a chance that this thing may just flop, but I feel good about it this year.  I think we'll have a student section that we will all enjoy this year.  Well except for the people that don't like the Maniacs dressed up in themes.

Great points. I don't care if our students understand the motion offense or a trapping zone... just get them in the seats.

Mabee is a great place with 8000+  in the seats...it can be loud and changes the whole dynamic of the game and the experience...i never attended an ORU game with less than about 6500 in attendence and most games were 7500+...but i understand that was back in the 70's.....it saddens me to see games with only 4100 or so and perhaps that number even inflated...i have to believe it would jack up the players that much more if the place was at least 75% full....... :|

How about a Mart Green money grab at halftime for students...put like 8-10 selected students per game out on the court with maybe $1000 in dollar bills on the floor....they get 60 seconds to see how much cash they can scoop up....now, that's entertainment and students will come....they will definitely come..... :-D

The crowds, and student participation will have to be built back, line upon line, game by game.  Sounds like Mike et al, are doing things right, and trying to create some excitement about ORU basketball.  At one point I predicted an increase in attendance for 2008-2009, but with the weak home schedule, I'm not so sure.  At any rate, it will be a great season.

How can you be a red-blooded American teenager and not enjoy sports? Is that possible? How lame are our students?

Great idea, BB - just go right ahead and offend the "customers" you are wanting to entice to view your product - brilliant strategy! 

Any business that calls their customers "lame", chides them for not buying their product, and isn't willing to make the changes to market their product to their target audience won't have to worry about that problem for very long!

How about a Mart Green money grab at halftime for students...put like 8-10 selected students per game out on the court with maybe $1000 in dollar bills on the floor....they get 60 seconds to see how much cash they can scoop up....now, that's entertainment and students will come....they will definitely come..... :-D

Actually they've done promotions along those lines for years - used to do one where a student could win a ticket to anywhere in the US on Southwest - the past couple of seasons have done one where cash was dropped on the floor and students were blindfolded and got to keep all the cash they could find by sliding around on the floor - top denomination, $50.  Plus it doubles as a way to sweep the floor at half-time :-D!  It ain't a thousand, but it's some nice cash, but so far hasn't been enough to bring in large numbers of students.

MANY efforts have been made to lure students in - only successful one so far is the homecoming court - and this year, for some reason, that production was drastically reduced in length.

Great idea, BB - just go right ahead and offend the "customers" you are wanting to entice to view your product - brilliant strategy! 

Any business that calls their customers "lame", chides them for not buying their product, and isn't willing to make the changes to market their product to their target audience won't have to worry about that problem for very long!

Bite me... you know I'm right and so does everyone else. How can anyone worry about offending people who never show up for anything other than men's soccer, volleyball and chapel? The two best sports (men's hoops, baseball)... the students stay away in droves. They don't deserve anyone's effort. They should show up BECAUSE THEY SHOULD SHOW UP!!! Because the product is damn good, and because it's their school for crying out loud!

Quit pandering to them. Call a spade a spade. Our students could care less about sports and nothing (other than better recruiting by admissions and major changes to the Honor Code) is going to chnage that.

As for changing the product... um, I'm pretty sure we've gone from pretty bad in Coach Sutton's first two years to really, really good in the last four to six. How much more change do they need? It's pathetic that our students are apathetic.

Bite me... you know I'm right and so does everyone else. How can anyone worry about offending people who never show up for anything other than men's soccer, volleyball and chapel? The two best sports (men's hoops, baseball)... the students stay away in droves. They don't deserve anyone's effort. They should show up BECAUSE THEY SHOULD SHOW UP!!! Because the product is damn good, and because it's their school for crying out loud!

Quit pandering to them. Call a spade a spade. Our students could care less about sports and nothing (other than better recruiting by admissions and major changes to the Honor Code) is going to chnage that.

I'm with Terry....WOW!  Granted our targeted market is a challenging one to get involved in what we have to offer, but we can only provide the water, we can't make them come to it and we can't make them drink it. 

Sounds like someone either got up on the wrong side of the bed, doesn't like the environment he works in or is burned out.

I'm sensing some hostility here . . . better recruiting?  Is that refering to the quality of students coming to ORU?  And how are changes to the honor code going to increase interest in sports?  Bad calls on both accounts in my opinion, ORUBB . . .

Nevermind... it's a pointless argument I can't win. It's a pointless argument even if I could win.

I do want to say (and I mean this)... Thank God for the Maniacs. If they didn't come, I'd cringe to think of what kind of student turn out we would have.

ORUBB with a major rant....TheEagleman likes it and applauds his enthusiasm...and yes, thank God for the Maniacs!!!..... 8-)

I'm with Terry....WOW!  Granted our targeted market is a challenging one to get involved in what we have to offer, but we can only provide the water, we can't make them come to it and we can't make them drink it. 

Sounds like someone either got up on the wrong side of the bed, doesn't like the environment he works in or is burned out.

Yeah, that's a bit much.

While I too get frustrated with the amount of pandering required to entice the students to attend games (free food, prize giveaways, etc.), at the same time I realize "it is what it is".

This is a private Christian school, not a land-grant diploma mill.  99% of the students who came here enrolled for reasons other than being part of a winning athletic tradition.

But I still wish the students would ALL come to the games and get more involved - I wonder of some literally do not realize what they are missing.

Nevermind... it's a pointless argument I can't win. It's a pointless argument even if I could win.

I do want to say (and I mean this)... Thank God for the Maniacs. If they didn't come, I'd cringe to think of what kind of student turn out we would have.

Thanks for throwing some small bit of positive bone in there.

I don't know if your negativity is a 'bit' (i.e. Eagleman) or not but at least Eagleman can crack people up from time to time. There's nothing wrong with wanting to see things change and voicing your opinion, but, to be honest, your input in general and especially on this thread is so increadibly sarcastic and negative that it sickens me. All you do is gripe and moan.

Gold*'s input is so much more productive than yours and you're supposed to be the ORU fan. ORU students leave something to be desired when it comes to their fanaticism, but they're also part of a unique, incredibly talented and purpose-filled body that I take a lot of pride in.

There's not a polite way to express what I want to say so...please...just shut up if you can't stop the negative griping. It's stupid.

TheEagleman will take that last remark as a compliment, Eli....and never forget that TheEagleman bleeds blue and gold....at least when it comes to ORU....i agree that ORUBB is a bit too negative but he also just wants to see more students involved....it's sad that Mabee is less than 1/2 full for most games.....especially when we have such a good team the past few seasons....there needs to be a bit more school spirit....how about a pie in the face of LR night....now that would bring 'em in..... :-D