• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• Gold*

• theeagleman5

• ORU Eli

Good lord...it's been over a year since I've been to the TU board and the curiousity got the best of me today so I had to go see what they were talking about. I'm sure there are bunch of nice, intelligent TU fans out there but I think most of the ones posting on that board are either 9th graders or 43 year old QT employees who never had the grades to graduate high school, much less TU.

I enjoy the TU rivalry but I kinda miss the Valpo fans who, for the most part, just wanted to engage in friendly basketball banter. So many of those TU posters are like monkeys with one track minds..."Deficate and throw...deficate and throw...deficate and throw..."

An insult to 9th-graders and 43-year-old QuikTrip employees everywhere!  :wink:

I feel certain that, as you stated, there are a number of "intelligent TU fans" out there.

But, I'm also confident the number of "nice" ones is drastically smaller.

For whatever reason, a large number of them appear to have a collective chip on their shoulders, which they are constantly attempting to shrug by tearing everyone else down.

Even when they win, their glass seems half empty - and poisoned.  :|

A lot of the "chip" is humor.  You can't take everything so seriously over there.  For example, Typical is a comic genius . . . if you get past him hitting everyone in the nose.  We do have some negative folks, but they go after TU more than anyone. 

A lot of the "chip" is humor.  You can't take everything so seriously over there.  For example, Typical is a comic genius . . . if you get past him hitting everyone in the nose.  We do have some negative folks, but they go after TU more than anyone. 

I have no problem with the banter or the jokes (I have a 900 ft Jesus icon under my name, trust me, I think its humorous) but c'mon...one guy is going on about he wants every student to fail in life and the school to crumble? It'd be one thing if that was out of the ordinary, but those type of comments are not unheard of from TU fans.

Say what you will about the founder, his son, their ministry, the school's religious heritage, etc...but when you bring the student body and the coaches and student athletes into the hatred and filth, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Disagree with our beliefs if you will, but it doesn't matter what year you go, you'll never meet a collective student body more genuine, pure hearted, fun loving, and hard working as the ORU students. And I believe that spirit is reflected in our coaches and our student athletes. Pretty much every visiting team consistently has nice things to say about our fans, coaches, athletes and facilities. Yet across town, there are always TU fans saying things to the contrary and it doesn't keep me up at night nor does it surprise me, but its just disappointing in a great town like Tulsa there are apparently so many fans whose personal vendettas and hatred causes them to spew such vile things at a student body that have nothing to do with competition, rivalry, or sportsmanship.

It's complete ignorance, but when I see it over and over and over and over again for the past 6 years that I've been posting, it's kinda hard not to say anything when it's about the school and the students that I love.

And I'm done.

They should be very happy with their team this year as long as the point guard they got is decent.

That statement should hold true for both TU and ORU.

I think ORU is in better shape at the point than Tulsa. Guyton will do a good job for the Eagles.

ORU will be thin up front until Ford can play.

I have no problem with the banter or the jokes (I have a 900 ft Jesus icon under my name, trust me, I think its humorous) but c'mon...one guy is going on about he wants every student to fail in life and the school to crumble? It'd be one thing if that was out of the ordinary, but those type of comments are not unheard of from TU fans.

Say what you will about the founder, his son, their ministry, the school's religious heritage, etc...but when you bring the student body and the coaches and student athletes into the hatred and filth, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Disagree with our beliefs if you will, but it doesn't matter what year you go, you'll never meet a collective student body more genuine, pure hearted, fun loving, and hard working as the ORU students. And I believe that spirit is reflected in our coaches and our student athletes. Pretty much every visiting team consistently has nice things to say about our fans, coaches, athletes and facilities. Yet across town, there are always TU fans saying things to the contrary and it doesn't keep me up at night nor does it surprise me, but its just disappointing in a great town like Tulsa there are apparently so many fans whose personal vendettas and hatred causes them to spew such vile things at a student body that have nothing to do with competition, rivalry, or sportsmanship.

It's complete ignorance, but when I see it over and over and over and over again for the past 6 years that I've been posting, it's kinda hard not to say anything when it's about the school and the students that I love.

And I'm done.

I wouldn't take a lot of what Panic says at face value.  He's a good poster, but just trying to have fun.  If you get offended by hyperbole, college sports message boards aren't the place to go.  (The effective response to Panic would be to ask if he really believed that, which I'm pretty sure he doesn't.)  And don't dare listen to sports talk radio.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I think ORU bring in a lot more talented young people to the area (that we desperately need as a city) than building an arena downtown or building some pedestrian bridges on the river ever will.  If you put it that way to the vast majority of TU fans and people in the city, they'd agree.

If you guys want a rivalry, and that seems to be a point of discussion  over here at times (that TU fans sometimes go so far as to say there is no rivalry), then don't be surprised if you read things you don't like on our board.  Would you rather some folks make fun of you or just never talk about you because you are of no interest?

Would you rather some folks make fun of you, or just never talk about you because you are of no interest?

(*crickets*)

I think ORU is in better shape at the point than Tulsa. Guyton will do a good job for the Eagles.

ORU will be thin up front until Ford can play.

Can you give us any insight on how Morton and Farrington look? I expect that they will be needed down low to supplement Lewis. And don't forget about Hardy.... he plays taller (and tougher) than he looks.

And I'm done.

I used to visit the TU board regularly, but after a while I decided it was more upseting than informative, and quit. 

Life is better now.

I wouldn't take a lot of what Panic says at face value.  He's a good poster, but just trying to have fun.  If you get offended by hyperbole, college sports message boards aren't the place to go.  (The effective response to Panic would be to ask if he really believed that, which I'm pretty sure he doesn't.)  And don't dare listen to sports talk radio.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I think ORU bring in a lot more talented young people to the area (that we desperately need as a city) than building an arena downtown or building some pedestrian bridges on the river ever will.  If you put it that way to the vast majority of TU fans and people in the city, they'd agree.

If you guys want a rivalry, and that seems to be a point of discussion  over here at times (that TU fans sometimes go so far as to say there is no rivalry), then don't be surprised if you read things you don't like on our board.  Would you rather some folks make fun of you or just never talk about you because you are of no interest?

This is the exact reason I deleted comments I posted on the TU board. There's just no use in attempting to have an intelligent rivalry over there. When it gets to the point where online posters are pretending to be tough guys online - it becomes a vapid and inconsequential discourse...

Oh well.

I have great friends that have attended TU and for that reason (among many reasons) is why I speak so highly of TU as a university.

I, for one, am grateful for the rivalry.

I used to visit the TU board regularly, but after a while I decided it was more upseting than informative, and quit. 

Life is better now.

I agree. I for some reason felt compelled to share but I won't be going back.

"Intelligent TU Fan"???....i think there is a name for that...Oxymoron?.. :-D

Would you rather some folks make fun of you or just never talk about you because you are of no interest?

Well, that's my point. TU fans (and I usually do not include Gold* in this group) seem to go by the motto "We won't say anything nice or we won't say anything at all" when it comes to ORU and I think it's low class and highly ignorant.

That's all I have to say though. I don't want to facilitate an endless and pointless debate more than I already have.

This is the exact reason I deleted comments I posted on the TU board. There's just no use in attempting to have an intelligent rivalry over there. When it gets to the point where online posters are pretending to be tough guys online - it becomes a vapid and inconsequential discourse...

Oh well.

I have great friends that have attended TU and for that reason (among many reasons) is why I speak so highly of TU as a university.

I, for one, am grateful for the rivalry.

Panic, Typical, and LEC are tough guys.  Panic is the son of a college football hall of famer and Typ is into martial arts.  LEC will just smoke you out.  :wink:

If you want message boards to only be about intelligent conversation, you won't be happy with them very often.  A lot of these guys are just having fun.  If they smell blood, they go for it.

Which all adds up to one simple fact:  the ORU message board is truly one of the better message board experiences out there.

What it may lack in sheer numbers is more than eclipsed by the passion, insight, and mutual respect it's members consistently bring to the table.

Our detractors may have actually stumbled upon a grain of truth:  you're not likely to find many other message boards that compare favorably to ours.

Certainly not in this town, at least...

+1 OT

visiting that board is like watching CNN.  Nothing will be said that I agree with so don't even stop on that channel.