TU Game

ORUTerry

The Tulsa World is reporting that TU opens its basketball season on November 15 against ORU.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• Gold*

• theeagleman5

• ORU Eli

And so officially begins the "Find The Games!" portion of our calendar year, as we methodically piece together the ORU non-conference schedule, one game at a time, from our opponents' websites!  :roll:

Sure would be nice one of these years to see our non-conference schedule announced before August 1st...

Playing TU at their place in the season opener for BOTH teams could prove to be something of a mixed bag.

They will no doubt have a full house in the Reynolds Center (for the first time in years vs. ORU) as they raise their CBI championship banner, or get their CBI rings, or whatever, but when it comes down to the actual game, it could be ugly to watch for both sides as they try to shake off the first-game rust and the rivalry-game jitters:  the big men struggling to stay out of foul trouble, the 3-point shooters trying to find their grooves, and the juco transfer point guards on both sides (Guyton and Hernandez) going head-to-head in the first D-1 games of their careers.

Plus, TU has to shake off the stigma of their slow starts in prior seasons under Doug Wojcik, while ORU seeks to win its first road season-opener in several years.

TU will likely be double-figure favorites, but there's no telling what might happen in this game...

This game has been played in December for many years.  I think it favors TU to play us in our first regular season game.  We will have so many new players that will be counted on for scoring and significant playing time.  TU will also have some significant new players, but I think they will return more experienced players than we will.

Bring it on!....theEagleman's early prediction....ORU wins 83-53.....TU sucks!.... :-D

Bring it on!....theEagleman's early prediction....ORU wins 83-53.....TU sucks!.... :-D

Well, that's guaranteed to give the TU trolls who lurk on this board some bulletin board material.

I put the "over/under" on the elapsed time before the 30-point prediction shows up on the TU forum at about 12 hours.

Let's act like we've been here before, people...  :roll:

i'd put my money on TU winning this year.  i think with their Canada Trip TU will be farther along as a team than ORU so early in the season.

i'd put my money on TU winning this year.  i think with their Canada Trip TU will be farther along as a team than ORU so early in the season.

I wasn't around last year for this conversation, and far be it from me to underrate a good Canadian experience :-D, but did it help us a lot last year in the early goings?

I wasn't around last year for this conversation, and far be it from me to underrate a good Canadian experience :-D, but did it help us a lot last year in the early goings?

i don't think the competition is that great...but the extra parctice and court time sure don't hurt.

Tulsa can go to Nepal for a pre-season tournament for all I care...we'll still whip their A$$.....83-53.......TU sucks!.... :-D

It is probably too late, but THIS game should be the first ever college hoops game in the BOK Center.

After TU's success at the end of last year and our success over the past few years, coupled with the fact that these are Tulsa's teams...it only makes sense. The excitement and publicity would be great for both schools.

ORUTerry....you are a 'bigwig' over at BOK, can you not get this done?

Well, that's guaranteed to give the TU trolls who lurk on this board some bulletin board material.

I put the "over/under" on the elapsed time before the 30-point prediction shows up on the TU forum at about 12 hours.

Honestly, I don't think that many TU fans read this board since y'all required a login to read it; probably just WD, Ash, and your's truly.

Note the irony of your prediction of the blowout prediction's reception . . .

http://orusports.com/talk/index.php?topic=5212.0

Hopefully it's not going to be our opener....We usually open up with a couple of weak teams at home, right?  Cameron, OBU, Rogers State, St. Gregory's, Langston, Central Oklahoma....

Go big blue!

Rob

You have got to believe that this was intentional. it is so devistating for them to lose to us that they HAD to play early to give them the best chance.  Its so great to be in thier heads that they would change a long standing tradition to do it. 

No Doubt Voice: Another reason to suggest that the building of that monstrocity had nothing to do with promoting sports in Tulsa.  That would be a marquee event with the only two Major sports programs in tulsa (66 ers don't count).  It is clear that they built that soon to be empty arena because in order to "look" like OKC.  City envy: Thats all those idiots who run the down town care about.  That and being able to serve beer at events (which they cant do at the Mabee) South Tulsa and ORU doesn't exist to those people. :evil:

Hopefully it's not going to be our opener....We usually open up with a couple of weak teams at home, right?  Cameron, OBU, Rogers State, St. Gregory's, Langston, Central Oklahoma....

Go big blue!

Rob

I don't think there is any way to play another regular season game before that 11/15 date - I'm sure we'll have a couple of exhibition games leading up to it, though.

It's amazing how early the season starts now - back in the old days, it started with tournaments on Thanksgiving weekend.

As for the day we're playing for the Mayor's Cup, TU's football team plays at Houston at 4:00 p.m., a game that a few hundred die-hard TU fans will no doubt travel to, and which may also be on local TV, especially if TU is cruising along with just one or two losses as predicted.

Could result in an empty seat or two in the Reynolds Center that might have otherwise been filled, or at least a late-arriving season ticket crowd if the game runs long on TV.

Let me correct myself regarding that 11/15 starting date being the earliest we can play a game:  the past two seasons we have played regular season games on Nov. 10 (@ Loyola Marymount, 2006) and on Nov. 9 (vs. SW Oklahoma, 2007), so maybe we could sneak a legitimate regular season game in there at home leading up to the TU contest.

If not, road openers have been pretty scarce for ORU over the years, and not particularly successful:

1971-72 (26-2 record)

W  12/1  ORU 95, Illinois State 93

1979-80 (18-10)

L  11/30  St. John's 90, ORU 78

1981-82 (18-12)

W  11/30  ORU 64, Princeton 59 (OT)

1983-84 (21-10)

L  11/29  Kansas State 82, ORU 74

1987-88 (8-21)

L  11/20  UCLA 119, ORU 79 (ouch)

1988-89 (8-20)

L  11/28  Miami (FL) 108, ORU 103

1998-99 (17-11)

L  11/14  Texas Christian 94, ORU 93

2006-07 (23-11)

L  11/10  Loyola Marymount 68, ORU 65

All-time record in Division-1 road openers:  2-6

With the exception of the two "Trickey" years, the teams above all seemed to have fared pretty well the rest of the season.  Perhaps the experience toughened them up early, or maybe we knew we had good teams going into the season, which made a road opener a little more palatable to schedule in the first place.

Bottom line:  ORU hasn't won a road opener in 27 years.

And doesn't Scott Sutton seem to relish breaking streaks like that?  :-D

I don't think there is any way to play another regular season game before that 11/15 date - I'm sure we'll have a couple of exhibition games leading up to it, though.

It's amazing how early the season starts now - back in the old days, it started with tournaments on Thanksgiving weekend.

As for the day we're playing for the Mayor's Cup, TU's football team plays at Houston at 4:00 p.m., a game that a few hundred die-hard TU fans will no doubt travel to, and which may also be on local TV, especially if TU is cruising along with just one or two losses as predicted.

Could result in an empty seat or two in the Reynolds Center that might have otherwise been filled, or at least a late-arriving season ticket crowd if the game runs long on TV.

That's a good point.  I would hope they would see about moving the basketball game back 30 or 40 minutes.  The way the offense plays for football, games last about four hours, especially the big important ones.  The BYU game last year ended well after midnight.

I'm not sure how many of the regulars will miss that game.  Some will travel down there for sure, but it seems like the football crowd in Houston is made up more of Houston area alumni and player families.  I went to the Rice game last year and other than the staff that traveled down, I'd say there were 10 regular season ticket holders from Tulsa there -- everyone else was familly or from Texas.  Granted, it was right after Thanksgiving . . .

Another factor maybe at play is that the TU-Houston game is eligible for tv on the CBS Networks (more than likely the new version of CSTV).  That could affect the kickoff time if it ends up being the game deciding the winner of C-USA west, like it has the last two years.

OT, thanks again for putting ORU sports history in perspective.

Looking forward to the first game this year!

Looking for the 27 year opening streak to break soon!

You said it before I could, OT.