TU Game

ORUTerry

27 years???....sounds like we are due....bring on TU....unless you think we should play a game at home against Liberty or someone like that first..... :-D

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• Gold*

• theeagleman5

• ORU Eli

27 years???....sounds like we are due....bring on TU....unless you think we should play a game at home against Liberty or someone like that first..... :-D

I would love to play Liberty, anywhere - good program.

If not, road openers have been pretty scarce for ORU over the years, and not particularly successful:

1971-72 (26-2 record)

W  12/1  ORU 95, Illinois State 93

1979-80 (18-10)

L  11/30  St. John's 90, ORU 78

1981-82 (18-12)

W  11/30  ORU 64, Princeton 59 (OT)

1983-84 (21-10)

L  11/29  Kansas State 82, ORU 74

1987-88 (8-21)

L  11/20  UCLA 119, ORU 79 (ouch)

1988-89 (8-20)

L  11/28  Miami (FL) 108, ORU 103

1998-99 (17-11)

L  11/14  Texas Christian 94, ORU 93

2006-07 (23-11)

L  11/10  Loyola Marymount 68, ORU 65

All-time record in Division-1 road openers:  2-6

Last year our first game was against Texas A&M at Texas A&M, and while it may have been considered a neutral site game because it was in the Preseason NIT, I would most certainly consider it a home opener.  It looks like 2-7 all time to me.

If not, road openers have been pretty scarce for ORU over the years, and not particularly successful:

1971-72 (26-2 record)

W  12/1  ORU 95, Illinois State 93

1979-80 (18-10)

L  11/30  St. John's 90, ORU 78

1981-82 (18-12)

W  11/30  ORU 64, Princeton 59 (OT)

1983-84 (21-10)

L  11/29  Kansas State 82, ORU 74

1987-88 (8-21)

L  11/20  UCLA 119, ORU 79 (ouch)

1988-89 (8-20)

L  11/28  Miami (FL) 108, ORU 103

1998-99 (17-11)

L  11/14  Texas Christian 94, ORU 93

2006-07 (23-11)

L  11/10  Loyola Marymount 68, ORU 65

All-time record in Division-1 road openers:  2-6

That's a pretty handy little piece of stat work there, OT.  Nice job!

Last year our first game was against Texas A&M at Texas A&M, and while it may have been considered a neutral site game because it was in the Preseason NIT, I would most certainly consider it a home opener.  It looks like 2-7 all time to me.

The Texas A&M game was not our first regular season game last year:  we opened up at home vs. SW Oklahoma, following two exhibition games with Rogers State and Upper Iowa.

And so officially begins the "Find The Games!" portion of our calendar year, as we methodically piece together the ORU non-conference schedule, one game at a time, from our opponents' websites!  :roll:

Sure would be nice one of these years to see our non-conference schedule announced before August 1st...

And the wait may be even longer...  If I remember correctly, ORU's schedule was released in September two years ago.... and I've also heard this year's schedule is still VERY tentative with several gaps.  We could one of the last D-1 schools to release again this year.

Yeah, i would consider last year's game at Texas A&M a road opener...i hope we schedule one relatively easy home game as an opener before going over to TU...with our 2 "pre-season" games and another one, that should get us prepared to take on the Hurricane.....and how come we don't play Liberty on a regular basis?...seems like a natural matchup... :?

The A&M game last year was a road game... not neutral.  However we opened the season at home last year.

I would love to play Liberty, anywhere - good program.

I would like to see the Golden Eagles play Liberty, and while we're at it, have a Religious School tour:  Niagara (Catholic, MAAC), Wofford College (Methodist, Southern Conf.), Presbyterian (Big South - playing TU again in Tulsa Dec. 14!), Charleston Southern (Southern Baptist, Big South), and Gardner-Webb (Southern Baptist, Atlantic Sun)

All are D-I, play pretty tough schedules, and except Niagara, are close to Moi.  :-D

PS. - Charleston Southern and Presbyterian had their basketball schedules out in June!

Don't the majority of private schools have (or had when they were founded) some form of religious affiliation?

The University of Tulsa, for example, is formally associated with the Presbyterian church.

In fact, before it became Henry Kendall College, and then TU, it's first name was the Presbyterian School for Indian Girls.

OT, your fountain of knowledge never ceases to flow.  I know all or most of the Ivy league schools were basically seminaries, or at least christian colleges. Seems like most private colleges I know of have some sort of religious origin.

Don't the majority of private schools have (or had when they were founded) some form of religious affiliation?

The University of Tulsa, for example, is formally associated with the Presbyterian church.

In fact, before it became Henry Kendall College, and then TU, it's first name was the Presbyterian School for Indian Girls.

Boy, I can't wait for those T-shirts to go on sale!  Go ORU!  Beat Presbyterian School for Indian Girls!

One in XL, please.

The school was in Muskogee at that point.  It was "bought" and moved to T-town.

It's like saying you old law school is part of ORU. :wink:

Boy, I can't wait for those T-shirts to go on sale!  Go ORU!  Beat Presbyterian School for Indian Girls!

One in XL, please.

Oh, I don't think it's anything a TU fan should be embarrassed or defensive about - to quote TU coach Doug Wojcik's favorite "dismiss-the-question" response:  "It is what it is."

link: University of Tulsa History

I wasn't throwing the history under the rug, either.  It's just pretty distant, especially since the school was bought.  I'll use another example: it's like saying Mother Love Bone is the same thing as Pearl Jam.

I would like to see the Golden Eagles play Liberty, and while we're at it, have a Religious School tour:  Niagara (Catholic, MAAC), Wofford College (Methodist, Southern Conf.), Presbyterian (Big South - playing TU again in Tulsa Dec. 14!), Charleston Southern (Southern Baptist, Big South), and Gardner-Webb (Southern Baptist, Atlantic Sun)

All are D-I, play pretty tough schedules, and except Niagara, are close to Moi.  :-D

PS. - Charleston Southern and Presbyterian had their basketball schedules out in June!

This is pretty funny, my best friend goes to Niagara, and they are far from a 'strong' catholic school, he told me the story of hall meeting where guys on the floor left "Mike's Hard Lemonade" bottles in the hallway.... the hall meeting convo went something like this...

RA: I have no problem with drinking, you guys know that, if my door is open, come in and have a beer with me... but whoever is leaving the Mike's Hard Lemonades out in the hall, and making our floor like a bunch of B*****S needs to cut it out....

And as much as I would love to play Niagara, they have a gym that holds maybe 1,800 seats.... and are in Buffalo, New York... not the best place to travel in Mid-November through Mid January... lol

Mid-Majors would be nice, trade one for ones with high level mid-majors, or go play at Syracuse, then come back to Niagara, 2 hours away 2 days before or after... things like that.... if your gonna make a road trip, make it smart, play a couple of games!