TU Game

ORUTerry

Siena does have a nice area...have been there for the old MAAC tournament back in the day....would be nice to see ORU play the Saints...an excellent mid-major match up.....then we could bus up to Syracuse and knock off Beiheim's overrated Orange.... :-D

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• Gold*

• theeagleman5

• ORU Eli

This is pretty funny, my best friend goes to Niagara, and they are far from a 'strong' catholic school, he told me the story of hall meeting where guys on the floor left "Mike's Hard Lemonade" bottles in the hallway.... the hall meeting convo went something like this...

RA: I have no problem with drinking, you guys know that, if my door is open, come in and have a beer with me... but whoever is leaving the Mike's Hard Lemonades out in the hall, and making our floor like a bunch of B*****S needs to cut it out....

And as much as I would love to play Niagara, they have a gym that holds maybe 1,800 seats.... and are in Buffalo, New York... not the best place to travel in Mid-November through Mid January... lol

Mid-Majors would be nice, trade one for ones with high level mid-majors, or go play at Syracuse, then come back to Niagara, 2 hours away 2 days before or after... things like that.... if your gonna make a road trip, make it smart, play a couple of games!

OK, drop Niagara, and just play Siena - they're Catholic (and Franciscan too!).  Niagara did win the play-in game last year, and got the 64th spot in the NCAA tournament, so they are not too bad.

I know all or most of the Ivy league schools were basically seminaries, or at least christian colleges.

...and yet how far they have departed from their founding missions...

Catholic seminaries would never teach against drinking.  Heck, they got real wine IN CHURCH!  One church i went to in town had a place to extinguish your cigarette on your way in. 

sounds like Niagra is a good catholic school.

ORU is special place. 

Catholic seminaries would never teach against drinking.  Heck, they got real wine IN CHURCH!  One church i went to in town had a place to extinguish your cigarette on your way in. 

sounds like Niagra is a good catholic school.

ORU is special place. 

Yea..at ORU the wine and cigarettes are confined to the dorm rooms and staff parking lot.

Yea..at ORU the wine and cigarettes are confined to the dorm rooms and staff parking lot.

Yeah - count me a prude, but I always hate to hear stuff like that.

One church i went to in town had a place to extinguish your cigarette on your way in. 

ORU has places on campus to do that too.  It's just part of life.  It's better than having to pick them up off the ground to keep the campus looking nice.

A lot of those schools still have great divinity programs.  Wouldn't knock 'em at all . . . :|

I wasn't knocking the divinity schools as I really don't know much about them...just knocking the general secular worldview that the ivy league schools take as a whole today contrasted with many of the founding principles rooted in the desire to create a higher, Christ-influenced education.

Goes back to that "Whole man" thing...but they'd all have to take a trip to Tulsa to understand that philosophy.

Not knocking or condemning either one.  the great CS Lewis did both. Just saying that just because its a seminary doesn't mean that the people don't drink, especially catholics.  Oru is a special place because its a dry campus.  Which i prefer.

There is definitely no place like ORU, and no other city like Tulsa, the "Mecca" of Charismatic ministries. There are all kinds of schools that started out with a Christian mission, on fire for God, and now are nearly indistinguishable from secular ones.

I wasn't knocking the divinity schools as I really don't know much about them...just knocking the general secular worldview that the ivy league schools take as a whole today contrasted with many of the founding principles rooted in the desire to create a higher, Christ-influenced education.

Goes back to that "Whole man" thing...but they'd all have to take a trip to Tulsa to understand that philosophy.

I'm not sure everyone at those schools takes a secular view; Yale, Harvard, and Princeton all have very strong divinity or seminary programs.  They have their way of seeing the world.  I respect the philosophy that ORU is trying to teach, but I wouldn't throw those schools under the bus, either.

I gotta admit, that's pretty stinkin' funny.

Reminds me of an athletic department staffer back in the 70's, who loved a cigar every now and then when he was "on the road".  He had just fired one up waiting for a taxi outside a major airport when he ran into some other ORU athletic department emplyees who happened to be traveling that same day. 

In a desperate attempt to quickly hide his honor code violation, he thrust the still-smoldering stogie into the pocket of his trench coat.  He then proceeded to carry on a conversation with his co-workers for several minutes, with cigar smoke drifting out of his pocket the whole time. 

Nobody said a word about it while they were all standing there, but it made for quite a few jokes later - one that made it around the athletic offices was a counterfeit travel expense report in his name, complete with singes on the edges and a couple of ash burns right through it.

While I know most people on this board are not extremely happy with our current mascot or logo, I submit to you the picture below as proof it could be much... much worse.

Disclaimer* - I'm actually a big fan of Eli n his current state and see no immediate need to change him up.

Picture1-1.png

Captain Cane???....cut me a break....that's pretty lame, TU........ :-D

Good lord...it's been over a year since I've been to the TU board and the curiousity got the best of me today so I had to go see what they were talking about. I'm sure there are bunch of nice, intelligent TU fans out there but I think most of the ones posting on that board are either 9th graders or 43 year old QT employees who never had the grades to graduate high school, much less TU.

I enjoy the TU rivalry but I kinda miss the Valpo fans who, for the most part, just wanted to engage in friendly basketball banter. So many of those TU posters are like monkeys with one track minds..."Deficate and throw...deficate and throw...deficate and throw..."