Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• Old Titan

• vcboy2000

Florida foursome will leave for NBA

Jeff Goodman / FOXSports.com

Posted: 2 hours ago   

The Gator Boys rode into Gainesville together ? and they are going to try and leave together.

Florida's foursome of Joakim Noah, Al Horford, Corey Brewer and Taurean Green are expected to make an announcement at 4 p.m. ET this afternoon that they will each be declaring for the NBA Draft, according to a source close to the Gators program.

The four juniors will make the announcement a day prior to the celebration scheduled for Friday in Gainesville.

Noah, Horford and Brewer each passed up probable first-round contracts a year ago to return to Gainesville. They accomplished their goal of becoming the first team since Duke in 1991-92 to win back-to-back national titles when they knocked off Ohio State on Monday night.

Noah, Horford and Brewer are near-locks to be taken in the first round this year while Green's status is unclear. It's expected to be a fairly weak point guard crop.

All four players averaged between 12 and 13.3 points this season. Green led the team at 13.3 while Brewer and Horford averaged 13.2 and Noah averaged 12 points. The team's fifth starter, Lee Humphrey, was a senior.

Fox Sports is reporting that Huggins is going to West Virginia....

Fox Sports Link

? Is Kansas State too big a job for Scott Sutton to be considered?

? Will the Wildcats look to Wichita State for Mark Turgeon?

? In that case, would the Shockers look to Scott?

The dominos just keep falling...

Too bad for KSU if that's true...I know they were all pumped about Huggy and hoping to be a contender in the Big 12 in a year or two ala Billy Gilespie at A&M

So, who do they go after..... Mark Turgeon? It is probably not a big enough step up for him. But if he goes, does Scott go to Wichita State?

Guest Rob Marshall

? Will the Wildcats look to Wichita State for Mark Turgeon?

(1) If Colorado was, then K-State certainly is.

(2)  They may "look to" Turg, but Turg is a KU guy and is "looking to" Lawrence if/when Hollywood gets out of Dodge.

(3)  Wichita State would be a great fit/opportunity for Scott, but doubtful it will open up UNLESS Turg heads to Fayetteville.

Turgeon's lost a bit of his luster with the poor showing of the Shockers in the last half of the season. Will be surprised if he gets consideration at Arkansas.... but stanger things have happened. Same thing about Turgeon moving to Kansas State.... improbable but not impossible.

I look for the #1 K-State assistant to stay and take over for Huggins. He evidently was the guy behind several of the high-powered recruits.

Huggins to coach West Virginia

Posted: 1 hour ago   

Bob Huggins is returning to West Virginia.

The Kansas State head coach, who took over the program a year ago, has reached a tentative agreement to coach the Mountaineers, according to sources close to the situation.

Huggins is expected to get on a plane and fly to Morgantown later today. A news conference is slated for Friday.

Huggins met with representatives from West Virginia in Ohio in the past few days ? after John Beilein left for Michigan. He returned to Manhattan on Wednesday night and reached the decision to leave Kansas State for West Virginia. He then met with the president and athletic director at Kansas State and while he was torn with the decision, he has decided to return home.

Huggins, 53, was born in Morgantown and played at West Virginia. He was also a graduate assistant at the school.

Huggins was passed over last time the job opened ? partially because West Virginia president David Hardesty Jr., was not a Huggins supporter. Hardesty is retiring in September and does not have much ? if at all ? to do with the hiring this time around.

A new president will likely be selected in the next two weeks.

This decision wasn't about money.

Huggins was hired by Kansas State athletic director Tim Weiser a year ago and Huggins felt some loyalty because Weiser and the administration has been good to him ? after he was fired at Cincinnati.

Kansas State finished 23-12 and made it to the NIT this past season and were expected to be even better next year. Athletic forward Bill Walker is scheduled to return from a torn ACL and Huggins was also set to add one of the most talented players in the country, forward Michael Beasley, along with point guard Jacob Pullen ? a critical piece of the team because of his toughness and ability to run a team.

It's unclear whether Beasley and Walker will try to follow him to West Virginia. Beasley would have to be let out of his letter-of-intent while Walker would have to sit out a year due to transfer rules.

Wonder how many scholarships West Virginia has open? If they don't have any/enough - I suspect that the guys at the end of the bench will find themselves at other schools next year.

The KSU job is not too big for Scott (IMHO), but is it a top tier Big-12 school that Scott would be interested in (i.e., OU/OSU vs. KU/KSU type scenario).  It would be intriguing for KSU to have a Sutton on staff.  I wonder how Curtis Allen would feel after transferring to ORU from KSU to have his coach move away to KSU?

If WSU loses their coach, it would be interesting to see if that job would interest Scott.  It didn't Bill Self at the time, but WSU didn't have the NCAA success at the time either.

This is why I like the guy.  Instead of putting himself in a position for some unseemly bidding war between UK and Florida, a la Billy Gillispie, and finally saying he was staying put once he was up to about $5 mill a year, he takes the high road, tells Florida, no worries, I'm here for the duration, I'll talk to you when I get back from vacation.  In my book, that's the definition of class.

Are you sure that ever happened?  Did Gillispie ever visit Arkansas?  Did he even feign interest?  I think that was conjecture based on media and message board reports...

But of course I could have missed something.  Maybe he really did play those chumps like a hillbilly fiddle!   :-D

Kentucky to name Gillispie coach

Posted: 23 minutes ago   

Kentucky didn't strike out.

The program with the highest winning percentage in college basketball history, the one with seven NCAA titles, the one with 48 NCAA tournament appearances -- will announce the hiring of Texas A&M's Billy Gillispie on Friday afternoon.

According to sources, Gillispie accepted Kentucky athletic director Mitch Barnhart's offer late last night and will be introduced at a 1:15 p.m. EST news conference and pep rally.

Gillispie agreed to a contract extension to remain at Texas A&M about a week ago after the Aggies put a lucrative deal together when Arkansas made a run at him.

However, there was no way that Gillispie, who has risen quickly after turning around things at UTEP and Texas A&M over the past five years, was going to spurn Kentucky.

Barnhart has struck out on Florida's Billy Donovan and Texas coach Rick Barnes already.

Kentucky hasn't won a national title since 1998. Tubby Smith led the team to a 22-12 record this past season and the Wildcats lost to Kansas in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

Gillispie took a Texas A&M team that didn't win a single conference game prior to his taking over and took them to the Sweet 16 this past season. The Aggies were 27-7 and 70-26 in his three years in College Station.

Smith's biggest downfall may have been his inability to recruit high-profile players. Gillispie shouldn't have much of a problem -- as he pulled in a top recruiting class this past season, but most of his ties are in the Lone Star State.

There is a reason that contract sat on his desk for 1 week unsigned. He was waiting for the Kentucky job. It is a great job and he will do a wonderful job there. I know Texas is happy to have him leave!!

There are now 2 jobs open in the Big 12 - KSU and aTm.  Great opportunities, but where will the coaches come from?  Would KSU take a chance on someone like Barry Hinson?

Guest Rob Marshall

Gillispie was not going to accept Arkansas' offer knowing that Donovan could very well turn down Kentucky after this weekend in the ATL.

Guess I was lucky again, huh OT?  :wink:

If Donovan was a done deal with Kentucky, Billy Clyde would be the head coach in Fayetteville right now.  He knew Donovan was probable to turn down the Cats' offer so he intelligently played it out accordingly.  Congratulations to Coach Gillispie.  He'll be an immediate rock star in Lexington.

Next, Lon Kruger to aTm.  Then, Reggie Theus to UNLV.  Then, Scott Sutton to NMSU???