* * * Head Coaching Jobs Watch * * *

Old Titan

Others under consideration according to the Kansas City Star:

Here are some more names UMKC may be looking at for its head coaching job:

?Ben Miller, who is an assistant coach at Missouri State, also was an assistant at Kansas under Roy Williams and under Bill Self.

?John Cooper, currently an assistant at Auburn. He was one of three finalists for the UMKC job after Bob Sundvold was fired. Cooper, a Rockhurst High School graduate, recently interviewed at Liberty University.

?Jay Spoonhour, current assistant coach at Texas-San Antonio. He is the son of Charlie Spoonhour. Jay was an assistant at Missouri during 2004-06.

?Steve McClain was the coach at Wyoming until he was fired after this season. He led Wyoming to the NCAA Tournament in 2002. McClain won a national championship as coach at Hutchinson Community College in 1994.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• Old Titan

• vcboy2000

Chris Lowery of Southern Illinois apparently is not going any where. CBS Sportsline is reporting that he signed a contract extension:

ATLANTA -- Chris Lowery agreed to a contract extension with Southern Illinois on Saturday, effectively removing his name from consideration for multiple Big Ten jobs.

The deal is believed to be worth between $700,000 and $800,000 annually, which more than doubles the 34-year-old's previous salary.

Lowery led SIU to the Missouri Valley Conference title this season before losing in the Sweet 16 to Kansas. He's 78-26 in three years at the school, his alma mater.

In addition to its coach, SIU will return three of five starters next season. The Salukis only lose Jamaal Tatum and Tony Young.

Calipari and Arkansas seem to be a really good fit.

Frank Broyles may end up looking like a genius after this is said and done. 

Am I the only one who thinks this match looks goofy?

Reminds me of closing time at the bar, when the guy in the $1000 suit ends up leaving with the cocktail waitress.

...or so I've HEARD!! :oops:

Can you imagine Calipari in Fayetteville??

Where is he going to have to buy his clothes - Big Lots, or Stages?

"Uh, excuse me, waiter - but what wine would you recommend with my chicken fried steak?"

I keep envisioning him and his buddy Pitino, sitting in one of those little two-man boats, with bad-fitting camo hats and flannel shirts buttoned up to their necks, baitin' their cane poles...

Chris Lowery of Southern Illinois apparently is not going any where. CBS Sportsline is reporting that he signed a contract extension:

ATLANTA -- Chris Lowery agreed to a contract extension with Southern Illinois on Saturday, effectively removing his name from consideration for multiple Big Ten jobs.

The deal is believed to be worth between $700,000 and $800,000 annually, which more than doubles the 34-year-old's previous salary.

Lowery led SIU to the Missouri Valley Conference title this season before losing in the Sweet 16 to Kansas. He's 78-26 in three years at the school, his alma mater.

In addition to its coach, SIU will return three of five starters next season. The Salukis only lose Jamaal Tatum and Tony Young.

Makes sense - Lowery is an SIU alum.

There are some serious salaries being paid in the Valley these days.  Turgeon at Wichita reportedly makes $700,000 - now Lowery is in the same neighborhood.  Altman makes something less, I think.  But not much.

Is Barry one of the lowest paid coaches in the league?

Stan Heath is a solid guy, but "pretty successful" is definitely a stretch when defining his coaching at Arkansas.  He went 82-71 overall and only 31-49 in the SEC!  "Pretty successful"?  You really believe THAT is "pretty successful"?

Back-to-back NCAA appearances isn't "pretty successful"?

If Barry Hinson did that, they'd double his salary!!  At least, he wouldn't get FIRED!

So, how about "somewhat" successful?

Or, "fairly" successful.

Or, "they didn't suck".

Or, best yet, "they weren't one of the the highest-ranked RPI teams to NOT get in the NCAA tournament - AGAIN".

Happy??  :roll:

My how the tide changes quickly. Fox Sports radio was reporting that Memphis Coach Calipari is now saying he has no interest in the job at Arkansas.  :lol:

Ben Miller would run the Kansas Roy willams offence at UMKC. He is the guy that brought it here to MSU. Barry likes to slow it down to much and it kills our team. We are built to run, run, and run some more. So if we lost him and Barry starts to slow it down more that would kill us. Ben is also a good recruiter but im not sure it would hurt us to bad, Barry is the one that got are so called fab 5/6 in 2003, we still didnt make the NCAA's with them which we should have. Then this past season we brought in a new ssistant coach, Steve Woodberry, he will be a great head coach some day but anyways he brought in our top recruits for next year. Our other good recruit is from arkansas, so i figure that might be Kyan Browns guy?

Barry is the lowest paid coach in the Valley and if he could just get to the NCAA's he would get a nice pay raise, the money is there to do it.

?Jay Spoonhour, current assistant coach at Texas-San Antonio. He is the son of Charlie Spoonhour. Jay was an assistant at Missouri during 2004-06.

A group of MSU fans really want Jay to be our next coach. Charlie was the most successful head coach at MSU and they think if we bring Jay in we would do as good. Im not so sold on that as you can tell. Im not a big fan of bringing in old coaches son's. I do think Jay would be a great coach for UMKC. He does have some head coaching experience too. He took over for Charlie at UNLV when he got sick or something and couldnt coach for awhile.

UMKC has a good group of coaches to choose from, I dont know much about the other two but either Ben or Jay would improve the program.

My how the tide changes quickly. Fox Sports radio was reporting that Memphis Coach Calipari is now saying he has no interest in the job at Arkansas.  :lol:

It's such a "win/win" deal for guys like Calipari and Gillispie when their names are brought up in these open-job situations, especially when a particular school asks for permission to talk to them.

They know immediately they are going to get more money - either by their suitor (to get them to leave), or by their current employer (to get them to stay).

Calipari may just be trying to squeeze a little more moolah out of MSU.  Gillispie apparently used the Arkansas job to rocket his salary at A&M to $2 million a year.  For that matter, Donovan may be doing the same thing to Florida with Kentucky.  Either way he goes, he's going to make a lot more money next year.

And, Calipari gets the added benefit (assuming he talked to Arkansas officials) of learning more about the inner workings at one of his chief recruiting rivals.  Could prove pretty valuable should he stay at Memphis.  Who was it that said, "Keep your friends close - and your enemies closer."? 8-)

My buddy Andy Katz of ESPN talks about Arkansas and Calipari.

Guest Rob Marshall

Ben Miller to UMKC? He's a former Kansas assistant coach (9 years) under Roy Williams and has been at MSU for about 2 years. He is Barry's main recruiter it appears. Not a good sign for Barry - or for us if he can build something at UMKC.

Hey, MoState417.... tell us more about this guy. Will he run the Kansas (Roy Williams) style of basketball or more of a slow down tempo?

Terry, Ben is the son of former Ohio State and Northern Iowa head coach, Eldon Miller.  Ben's a terrific person and a very solid basketball coach.  He would be a fantastic hire for UMKC and the Roos would be fortunate to get him.  Ben Miller ... great guy ... very good coach.

Guest Rob Marshall

Where is he going to have to buy his clothes?

vcboy is right, Frank will make a very good hire here and it will be an definitely upgrade from what they had with Stan Heath, who again was very unsuccessful in the SEC going only 31-49 during his four (4) seasons as head coach of the Hogs.

And OT, do you realize how many "pretty people" live in NW Arkansas?  Lots and lots of money there ... and there are a few high end men's shops where Cal can maintain his sartorial splendor going in Fayetteville.  It's not like he's moving from Beverly Hills or Manhattan, it's just Memphis for goodness sake.

Interesting story.... but it doesn't pass the smell test. How does he know what happened between Gillispie and Byrnes (the Texas A&M athletic director)? There is a lot of smoke being blown on all of these coaching vacancies for various reasons. Most of it to make someone look good... or bad.

Found this article on Creighton's board. Just another example about how the media is as clueless as anybody.

Altman, Calipari in mix

Arkansas shows interest in both

By Scott Cain (Contact)

FAYETTEVILLE ? A new basketball coach is expected to be named at Arkansas perhaps as soon as today, but whom it will be remained uncertain Saturday night.

Arkansas Athletic Director Frank Broyles, who is conducting the search, talked to Creigthon?s Dana Altman and Memphis? John Calipari during a trip to Atlanta where coaches have gathered for a convention and the Final Four. Broyles spent Friday there and returned to Fayetteville around 5 p.m. Saturday.

It?s unlikely that Broyles would have returned if he did not have an agreement in principle with a coach or was on the verge of finalizing a deal.

For more information see today's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

(insert rolling laughing emoticon here!)

vcboy is right, Frank will make a very good hire here and it will be an definitely upgrade from what they had with Stan Heath, who again was very unsuccessful in the SEC going only 31-49 during his four (4) seasons as head coach of the Hogs.

And OT, do you realize how many "pretty people" live in NW Arkansas?  Lots and lots of money there ... and there are a few high end men's shops where Cal can maintain his sartorial splendor going in Fayetteville.  It's not like he's moving from Beverly Hills or Manhattan, it's just Memphis for goodness sake.

I have some well-to-do clients in NW Arkansas.

Some of them dress decently.

None of them are pretty.

I still say a guy like Calipari would feel like a fish out of water in Fayetteville.  It's a far cry from Memphis, which as Voice can attest, has an urbane side that few who have never lived there know about.  There's a reason they have a pro basketball franchise there - it's a cool city.

Doyle blasts Gillispie (and Barnes) about his negotiating 'style'.... Again, I think people are a bit presumptuous about what is really going on.

CBS Sportsline link