* * * Head Coaching Jobs Watch * * *

Old Titan

Might want to check your math.  There are over 300 D1 basketball schools.

Knew that number was too high ... carried an imaginary "1" ... fixed the post.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• Old Titan

• vcboy2000

Hope they don't go too far down the list! They love Eddie Sutton in Hog country! Also Altman is in play at Iowa if they will pay him in the 1 million dollar range. That would be a great job at Creighton with around 600,000 starting salary. Altman makes 800,000. Another connection to the Sutton family. 

They are in meltdown mode over on the Razorback rivals site!

The Hogs really thought that Billy G. would jump right over to Fayetteville.... I guess they are on to option #2. I know the Sutton name is revered over in Arkansas. They remember how Eddie created what is now a basketball tradition. But I am not sure that the fans want to go the "mid-major" route again given their experience with Stan Heath (Kent State). Of course, they may exhaust their list of candidates and arrive at Scott Sutton. I would not be surprised if they have already contacted Mike Carter about speaking with Scott - just in case.

A move to Arkansas would keep Scott close to family and certainly fatten his wallet. I wonder how many of his assistant would make the trip over with him? I assume we would hire Hankins and try to keep Williams here by giving him the 'assistant head coach' position. Pure conjecture.

I laughed when I read this. There is no way that either of those coaches leave their schools for Arkansas. Head Coach at KU is one of the cr?me de la cr?me coaching jobs in all of sports.  Head coach at Arkansas is like having Bryers French Vanilla in a half pint from your grocer's freezer- good stuff, but far from the best.

Floyd reportedly has already talked with Arkansas, and the rumor is that he contacted them.  Dave Sittler of the Tulsa World said there are several reasons he might be interested in the job.  He will always be second-fiddle on campus to the USC football program, and he'll  always be second-fiddle to UCLA in the area.  Also, he's from Mississippi, and has family all through the South.

Altman-to-Iowa is the one I'm surprised about - I still can't see why he would take that job.  He got really turned off by the pressure of unrealistic expectations at Kansas State, and would have to dance to the same tune at Iowa.  Can't imagine he could appreciate being their second choice after Pearl turned them down flat, but we'll see...

WSU gave Bennett a 7-year extension today!

That's the guy Iowa really should have gone after - he has Big Ten "three point play in a cloud of dust" basketball written all over him.

I was real impressed with the guy when we played them - seemed like a pretty cool cat.  Maybe it was the "dress shirt and suit with no tie" look.  All he needed was a glass of Scotch and a cigarette, and he'd be ready for a duet with Frank Sinatra.

Lunatics in charge of the assylum?

According to their message board, the UMKC AD has set up an eight member committee to select a new coach, and one of the members of the committee is current team member and hackmeister Brian Gettinger, the guy that scored take-downs on Caleb - twice - when ORU played in KC this season.

UMKC is down to 3 or 4 guys and the AD is in Atlanta interviewing them.

I think Altman has prior connections to Iowa and i think he would go if paid in the 1 million range; although he has a great job at Creighton.

Who knows what the heck Ark is going to do but i think it would be wierd for Floyd to take that job. It would drive the OJ Mayo kid crazy!!! kinda funny after what i have heard of him. USC is really loaded next year.

Scott is not too far down that list and i think he would be on the short list at Creighton.

Tim Floyd would be crazy to leave USC for Arkansas.  All he has to do now at USC is coach.  OJ Mayo has reportedly told him not to worry about recruiting because he would take care of recruiting. :-o  (i don't know, maybe we would be better off letting some of these guys go straight to the NBA and bypassing college.)

As for Coach Sutton it sounds like he is pretty far down on the fans list, but he does have a tread on HawsIllustrated. Link

Guest Rob Marshall

It tells us what we already know... Iowa is about the 7th-best job in the Big Ten, which means it isn't as good as Tennessee.

Indiana and Illinois are the ONLY "basketball" jobs in the Big Ten.  Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan, and Purdue are "football" schools ... period, just like Iowa and just like Tennessee.

Guys, what a job is "today vs. two or three years ago" does NOT mean it's a better job long term historically or futuristically.  Consider Arkansas vs. Texas A&M as a classic example.  IF you only compare the last three seasons, then sure aTm has been more successful, but over the long haul, Arkansas is the better job.

What was Tennessee before Pearl got there?  Average at best (they were a combined 61-59 in the four seasons prior to Pearl's arrival).  Comparatively, Iowa was superior record wise even given Alford's struggles.  In 2005-06, Iowa went 25-9, won the Big Ten conference tournament and was a #3 seed in the NCAA field of sixty-five (65).  In two (2) seasons under Bruce Pearl, the Vols are 46-19 and obviously much more competitive.  So, is that Pearl or is that the Tennessee program?  Clearly, it's Bruce Pearl.  That's why Iowa wanted him, and can you blame them?  He's got it going at Tennessee so why leave now and have to "get it all going again" at Iowa?  Plus, there is a lot of turmoil in the SEC (Kentucky, Arkansas and possibly Florida all will have new coaches next season) which could also benefit the Vols basketball program.

Guest Rob Marshall

The Houston Chronicle reports today that Billy Gillispie has agreed to a $2 million contract extension with Texas A&M.

Gillispie played this situtation like a Steinway piano. 

Arkansas hasn't been duped this badly since electing Bill Clinton governor.

John Rhode of The Daily Oklahoman pointed out last night on the radio that the Arkansas job may actually be a tough sell to other A-list coaches, due to the lame-duck status of AD Frank Broyles.  Whoever takes this job will have a new boss in 9 months.

Now, who do the Hogs go after - and who will take it?

Some jobs though, the basketball coach is arguably more important than the AD ... note, the KU AD situation when Self went to Lawrence.  The right head coach at Arkansas will have a hand in selecting who his AD will be.  That's all in how one looks at it.  I look at that as an "opportunity" to help select your new "boss," not as a reason to be full of fear about who you'll be answering to.  The guys who can get the Arkansas job don't lack confidence, which is what the "oh no, who's my new AD going to be" suggests.

Guest Rob Marshall

Also, Tennessee is the fourth best job in the SEC and the SEC is arguably a better conference than the B10, so you'd have to have a top 2 or 3 job in the B10 to equate to the Tennessee job!

In the last two (2) seasons perhaps, but since when is such a short window of time deserving of such superiority claims?  Tennessee was 61-59 in the four (4) seasons prior to Pearl's arrival.  Bruce Pearl's a heckuva coach, clearly, and he's made Tennessee what it's been the last two (2) seasons.  Another example, Illinois was terrific (arguably right at the top of the Big Ten with Michigan State) during Self's three (3) seasons in Champaign and Weber's first (with Bill's players), but where is Illinois now (next to the last team in the NCAA tournament in 2007)?

Illinois was in the tournament this year, and Iowa wasn't.  And what did Iowa do with that 3 seed last year, not much.  They got upset by Northwestern St. (Southland powerhouse?) whose game occurred concurrently with the ORU vs. Memphis game.  I think the 7th most prestigious job in the Big 10 is about right for Iowa. 

I don't see Iowa having much to offer a recruit that would make them choose Iowa over Illinois, or Purdue, or Michigan, or Michigan State, much less Ohio State or Indiana.  Even Purdue (which might be considered on par with Iowa) has also had some basketball success in their history.  I just don't think Iowa is a highly sought after Big 10 glamour job.  But $1 million per year would probably be enough to lure Altman away from Creighton.

I don't know if Tennessee has been filling up their arena for men's basketball over the last 2 years or not, but Tennessee has a lot of potential.  Their arena can seat almost 25,000, it is enormous.

Of course, in down years, it could feel like Kemper Arena did during the Mid-Con tournament.

Some jobs though, the basketball coach is arguably more important than the AD ... note, the KU AD situation when Self went to Lawrence.  The right head coach at Arkansas will have a hand in selecting who his AD will be.  That's all in how one looks at it.  I look at that as an "opportunity" to help select your new "boss," not as a reason to be full of fear about who you'll be answering to.  The guys who can get the Arkansas job don't lack confidence, which is what the "oh no, who's my new AD going to be" suggests.

Yeah, I'm sure the new guy at Arkansas should have no trouble waltzing in and telling the new university president, and Houston Nutt, and baseball coach Van Horn, and track coach McDonnel (sp?), and all those regents, and all those big-money boosters with Tyson and Wal-Mart money that he's going to hand-pick the next AD.

The problem with Arkansas right now is that Frank Broyles is one of the longest-tenured AD's in the country, at a school where he had his hand in EVERYTHING.  It may take years for things to settle down over there administratively.

Frank is not going away.... my Arkansas customers say he is 'retiring', but will still have an office in the athletic department. Do you really think that he will just come in to 'shoot the breeze' and not have his hand in what is going on - or at least try. That is a slow moving train wreck until he is gone - and I mean really gone.

Guest Rob Marshall

Frank is not going away.... my Arkansas customers say he is 'retiring', but will still have an office in the athletic department. Do you really think that he will just come in to 'shoot the breeze' and not have his hand in what is going on - or at least try. That is a slow moving train wreck until he is gone - and I mean really gone.

You're right, Terry, it will be a lot like Dean Smith at UNC.  Trust me, the new basketball coach will NOT be concerned about the AD change.

Guest Rob Marshall

Illinois was in the tournament this year, and Iowa wasn't.  And what did Iowa do with that 3 seed last year, not much.  They got upset by Northwestern St. (Southland powerhouse?) whose game occurred concurrently with the ORU vs. Memphis game.  I think the 7th most prestigious job in the Big 10 is about right for Iowa. 

I don't see Iowa having much to offer a recruit that would make them choose Iowa over Illinois, or Purdue, or Michigan, or Michigan State, much less Ohio State or Indiana.  Even Purdue (which might be considered on par with Iowa) has also had some basketball success in their history.  I just don't think Iowa is a highly sought after Big 10 glamour job.  But $1 million per year would probably be enough to lure Altman away from Creighton.

I don't know if Tennessee has been filling up their arena for men's basketball over the last 2 years or not, but Tennessee has a lot of potential.  Their arena can seat almost 25,000, it is enormous.

Of course, in down years, it could feel like Kemper Arena did during the Mid-Con tournament.

First of all, Alford did NOT do a great job at Iowa, which is why he left.  He won a lot of games, including multiple Big Ten tournaments, but a lot like Tubby Smith leaving Kentucky because of many frustrated fans who were becoming disgruntled, Steve decided to get out of Iowa City before he had to leave.  By the way, the previous two (2) coaches at Tennessee (Jerry Green, now on staff at Indiana with Kelvin Sampson and of course Buzz Peterson) were both fired.

How many of you guys grew up in Big Ten country or have friends and family that live there?  Think about this, Steve Alford, a former Indiana HS Mr. Basketball in 1983 and Big Ten MVP while at IU - clearly he is quite familiar with the Iowa program's tradition and potential, was confident enough in the Iowa job to take it after he turned down Tennessee!!!

Alford didn't get it done at Iowa (because the Hawkeye fans want the same level of success Lute Olsen and Dr. Tom Davis had there) ... Pearl, through two seasons, has more than got it done at Tennessee ... those are small snap shots.  IF Pearl took the Iowa job, do you not think the Hawkeyes would be near the top of the league just like he did with the Vols?  When he got to Knoxville, that program was floundering way in much worse shape than Iowa is today.

A&M AD tells Broyles, Gillispie staying put

No formal offer made

By Scott Cain (Contact)

FAYETTEVILLE ? Arkansas moved forward with its basketball coaching search this afternoon after school officials learned that Texas A&M Coach Billy Gillispie was staying at his school, the Arkansas Demcorat-Gazette has learned.

Athletic Director Frank Broyles, who is conducting Arkansas? search, never talked to Gillispie, according to a university official who spoke to the Democrat-Gazette.

Texas A&M Athletic Director Bill Byrne did not return Broyles? calls for the first three days of the search. Byrne finally called around 10 a.m. today and gave Broyles permission to talk to Gillispie, then called back around noon to say Gillispie had told A&M officials he is staying put, the UA official said.

Broyles never was able to reach Gillispie during the two-hour window that he was given permission to talk to him, the UA official said. No official job offer was ever made.

Broyles had said Tuesday night that he had offered the job and was waiting to hear back but that he had not spoken to the top candidate, who sources have said was Gillispie. The candidate knew he was Arkansas? top choice ?through channels,? Broyles said.

Gillisipe still has not made a public statement regarding being linked to the Arkansas job. Byrne had not addressed the subject to anyone outside of the Texas A&M inner circle until now, either.

Arkansas began pursuing other coaches this afternoon but exactly who was unclear.

Kansas? Bill Self and Southern California?s Tim Floyd have been high on Broyles? list, but both have made public statements in the last week affirming commitments to their own schools.

UNLV Coach Lon Kruger?s stock has risen since he revived that program and is believed to be on Arkansas? list.

Beyond those coaches, Nebraska?s Doc Sadler and Oral Roberts? Scott Sutton could come into play.

Read tomorrow's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette for full details.

LINK