* * * Head Coaching Jobs Watch * * *

Old Titan

This could have repercussions for TU:

Michigan lures Beilein away from West Virginia   

April 2, 2007

By Gary Parrish

CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

ATLANTA -- West Virginia coach John Beilein has accepted an offer to become Michigan's next coach, CBS SportsLine.com learned Monday night from a source close to the situation. A news conference is expected in the next 48 hours.

Beilein comes to Michigan after five years at West Virginia, where he compiled a 104-60 record. He has long been rumored to leave for better opportunities, but a $2.5 million buyout prevented that chance until now.

Beilein replaces Tommy Amaker

West Virginia can get somebody better than Wojcik.

At least someone with a bigger name and more experience.

Wonder if they will take a run at Winthrop's Gregg Marshall, or Travis Ford at UMass.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• Old Titan

• vcboy2000

This is probably as big as Donovan leaving Florida for Kentucky.  They'll definitely be talking about this on the broadcast tonight.

Goestenkors reportedly leaving Duke for TexasAssociated Press

DURHAM, N.C. -- Gail Goestenkors is leaving Duke to coach the Texas women's basketball team, a person with knowledge of the decision told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Goestenkors, 44, built a powerhouse during her 15 seasons at Duke, winning seven Atlantic Coast Conference coach of the year awards and compiling a career record of 396-99.

The person with knowledge of the decision spoke on condition of anonymity because a formal announcement had not yet been made.

Duke guard Abby Waner said a team meeting was scheduled for 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, but did not know why it was being held.

Goestenkors was widely considered the top candidate to replace Hall of Famer Jody Conradt at Texas after her sudden resignation last month.

The night Conradt retired, Texas officials made it clear they would be willing to pay for a top-notch coach. Conradt earned $550,000 a year. While Goestenkors' salary at Duke is not a public record, it was believed the private school would be unlikely to match a high offer from the Longhorns.

Goestenkors visited the Texas campus last week, when she met with women's athletic director Chris Plonsky and members of the school's search committee and toured the Longhorns' 44,000-square-foot practice facilities.

Goestenkors coached the Blue Devils to four Final Fours and two appearances in the national championship game. Her last Duke team was one of her best -- the Blue Devils ended the regular season ranked No. 1 and held the top overall seed in the NCAA tournament, but were upset in the regional semifinals by Rutgers. Duke ended the season with a 32-2 record.

After Goestenkors visited Austin, Duke held an on-campus rally attended by fans and players to urge her to stay. But Texas is considered one of nation's best programs with its first-rate facilities and a recruiting pipeline to 1,300 Texas high schools.

Goestenkors already has established herself with those schools, signing star senior Lindsey Harding out of the Houston area.

Conradt spent 31 seasons at Texas and won her only national championship in 1986, when the Longhorns went 34-0. She retired with a career record of 900-306 in 38 seasons at Sam Houston State, Texas-Arlington and Texas.

Conradt and Tennessee's Pat Summitt are the only Division I coaches with 900 or more victories, but the Longhorns last made the Final Four in 2003.

Rob, to answer your question take a look at any decision making process and the factors involved.

All of the facts say that Arkansas is the better job than aTm. Billie knows those facts more than anybody in the country, yet he still turned them down. Sure he could be waiting to see what Kentucky does, but we can't discount the feelings factor that could have influenced his decision as well.

It wouldn't be the first time that we've seen a coach initially turn down or even decline after allready accepting a job at a big time program.  Just a thought.

Dana must have read my post!

New Hogs' head coach backs out

by: NATE ALLEN World Correspondent

4/4/2007

"When he accepted the top job at Arkansas, Dana Altman said his ego spoke before his heart".

Here is a list of current vacancies:

Air Force

Butler

West Virginia

Arkansas

Kentucky

Feel free to add any others that I missed.

You forgot Chicago State and UMKC.... :-D

There are some other schools including Hawaii, Louisiana Tech, Marshall and Santa Clara.

Here is the CBS Sportsline Link showing all the openings:

Link

You forgot Chicago State and UMKC.... :-D

There are some other schools including Hawaii, Louisiana Tech, Marshall and Santa Clara.

Here is the CBS Sportsline Link showing all the openings:

Link

Yeah, I'm sure CSU and UMKC are waiting to see how the whole Kentucky thing shakes out! :roll:

Regarding UMKC, this was posted on their board today:

UMKC?s search continues

By DAVID BOYCE

The Kansas City Star

In the time since UMKC fired Rich Zvosec as its basketball coach on March 13, Arkansas played in the NCAA Tournament, fired its coach, hired his replacement, the replacement quit and the original coach found another job at South Florida.

That doesn?t mean there?s reason to panic that UMKC?s search is crawling along too slowly.

UMKC athletic director Tim Hall recently returned from the Final Four in Atlanta, where he interviewed 11 candidates. Two of them impressed him enough to bring on campus for more detailed interviews with UMKC officials.

Marshall senior assistant coach Bob MacKinnon was on campus Tuesday to talk about the job. Jay Spoonhour, assistant coach at Texas-San Antonio and a former Missouri assistant, will interview on campus today.

?They were two individuals out of the ones I met that seemed like they were right to bring in,? Hall said. ?They both could be really good fits.?

Hall might bring in a couple more candidates and hopes to wrap up the process sometime in mid-April.

?I?m going to find the best fit for UMKC, and if that takes me slightly longer, then that?s what we are going to do,? Hall said. ?It?s an important decision.?

Hall has received plenty of advice from fans.

?I welcomed it because it shows me a lot of individuals in this community care about this institution and care about the success of the program and feel there is an avenue that their thoughts and feelings can be known,? he said.

This thread is now the longest EVER on this board - by quite a lot - and probably isn't anywhere nearly done.

This thread is now the longest EVER on this board - by quite a lot - and probably isn't anywhere nearly done.

...not as long as Arkansas is on the clock! :-D

It would be fine with me if UMKC continues to take their time in picking a new head coach. 

From the sound of it, the athletic director doesn't seem that concerned that the next signing period starts next Wednesday.

I see that Woj isn't one of those named on the list below, if Huggins stays in the Little Apple.  If Huggins moves, who takes over at K-State?  Would a Sutton be sought out (Eddie OR Scott)?

Could Huggins be heading to West Virginia?

Jeff Goodman / FOXSports.com

Posted: 2 hours ago   

Bob Huggins could be headed back home to Morgantown. Seriously.

The Kansas State head coach, who took over the program a year ago, will likely make a decision in the next few days whether to remain in Manhattan, Kan., or return home and take over at West Virginia.

According to sources close to the situation, Huggins met with representatives from West Virginia in Ohio in the past 48 hours after John Beilein left for Michigan. He will return to Manhattan tonight and is expected to meet with Kansas State officials within the next 24 hours.

Two industry sources said the West Virginia job is Huggins' if he wants it.

Huggins, 53, was born in Morgantown and played at West Virginia. He was also a graduate assistant at the school.

Huggins was passed over the last time the job opened, partially because West Virginia president David Hardesty Jr., was not a Huggins supporter. Hardesty is retiring in September and does not have much ? if anything at all ? to do with the hiring this time around.

A new president will likely be selected in the next two weeks.

This decision on whether Huggins will stay at Kansas State obviously isn't about money.

Huggins was hired by Kansas State athletic director Tim Weiser a year ago and Huggins feels some loyalty because Weiser and the administration has been good to him since he was fired at Cincinnati.

Kansas State finished 23-12 and made it to the NIT. He will get athletic forward Bill Walker back for a full season next year despite the athletic freshman suffering a torn ACL soon after becoming eligible at the mid-semester break.

Huggins will also add one of the most talented players in the country, forward Michael Beasley.

However, West Virginia is where he grew up, played and has tons of support.

If Huggins doesn't take the West Virginia job, other names that have popped up are Wake Forest's Skip Prosser, former Beilein assistant and current Eastern Kentucky head coach Jeff Neubauer, Winthrop's Gregg Marshall, South Alabama's John Pelphrey and Duquesne head coach Ron Everhart ? one of Huggins' best friends in the business.

Tough decision for Huggins.... it looks like he has K-State primed for a nice run next year. But he is from West Virginia. Head versus Heart...

As I predicted - from ESPN.com:

Donovan will stay put as Florida coachBy Andy Katz

ESPN.com

Billy Donovan, three days removed from leading Florida to a second consecutive national championship, will remain the Gators' coach and not make himself available to interview for the opening at SEC rival Kentucky.

Donovan told Kentucky athletics director Mitch Barnhart early Thursday morning by phone that he wasn't interested in leaving Florida.

Florida athletics director Jeremy Foley told ESPN.com that he and Donovan also met Thursday, at which time Donovan said, 'This is my home, Jeremy. I love the University of Florida. I love you. I had a chance to talk to [my wife] Christine and I'm not going anywhere."

The two will discuss terms of a contract extension for the coach after Donovan returns from a planned week-long vacation to the Dominican Republic. Donovan will leave the country Saturday.

Meanwhile, the four Florida juniors -- Joakim Noah, Al Horford, Corey Brewer and Taurean Green -- will announce at a 4 p.m. ET news conference in Gainesville whether they're remaining in school or leaving to enter the NBA draft.

Read More

Florida athletics director Jeremy Foley told ESPN.com that he and Donovan also met Thursday, at which time Donovan said, 'This is my home, Jeremy. I love the University of Florida. I love you. I had a chance to talk to [my wife] Christine and I'm not going anywhere."

This is why I like the guy.  Instead of putting himself in a position for some unseemly bidding war between UK and Florida, a la Billy Gillispie, and finally saying he was staying put once he was up to about $5 mill a year, he takes the high road, tells Florida, no worries, I'm here for the duration, I'll talk to you when I get back from vacation.  In my book, that's the definition of class.