* * * Head Coaching Jobs Watch * * *

Old Titan

Guest Rob Marshall

There are now 2 jobs open in the Big 12 - KSU and aTm.  Great opportunities, but where will the coaches come from?  Would KSU take a chance on someone like Barry Hinson?

He was on Tim's list last year, but K-State will promote from within and hire Hug's top assistant.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• Old Titan

• vcboy2000

Guess I was lucky again, huh OT?   :wink:

If Donovan was a done deal with Kentucky, Billy Clyde would be the head coach in Fayetteville right now.  He knew Donovan was probable to turn down the Cats' offer so he intelligently played it out accordingly.  Congratulations to Coach Gillispie.  He'll be an immediate rock star in Lexington.

Next, Lon Kruger to aTm.  Then, Reggie Theus to UNLV.  Then, Scott Sutton to NMSU???

Once again, your keen insight into the painfully obvious is impressive.

I'm still waiting for your Final Four predictions, especially now that the games have already been played... :roll:

I look for the #1 K-State assistant to stay and take over for Huggins. He evidently was the guy behind several of the high-powered recruits.

Kansas State is promoting assistant coach Frank Martin and also retaining another assistant coach to try to retain players/recruits from the Huggins' era.... Do I get a gold star?

CBS Sportsline

Mid-majors are benefiting from increased credibility

Tulsa World Link

By JOHN KLEIN Senior Sports Columnist

4/7/2007

Billy Gillispie's decision to go to Kentucky, for the history, tradition and unlimited resources of Wildcat basketball, flies in the face of a recent trend.

Tubby Smith leaves Kentucky for Minnesota. Steve Alford leaves Iowa of the Big Ten to go to New Mexico, a basketball-crazy state in a mid-major conference.

Dana Altman does what Nolan Richardson could not do 20 years ago -- turn down Arkansas to stay at a mid-major power he resurrected.

All of this leaves one wondering if mid-majors will now start to flaunt their new-found strength.

It would appear it is no longer automatic that a successful coach at a mid-major, like Tulsa or Oral Roberts, will take anything in a power conference.

Job security, lifestyle and a growing recognition of mid-majors is making leaving so much harder than it used to be.

That should bode well for TU and ORU.

That doesn't mean programs in the power conferences, with far more money and resources, won't still shop and occasionally pluck coaches from mid-majors. Or, from lesser known basketball programs in the big conferences.

But it does mean there is a trend

toward coaches realizing it is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

Gillispie has turned around two downtrodden programs and most expect he will turn Kentucky back into a monster.

However, he previously passed on a chance to go to Arkansas to stay at Texas A&M. That would have been unheard of just five years ago.

Coaches jump for money and programs that can win it all, but these days, they also seem to be recognizing the value of job security and quality of life.

Smith was the biggest and most obvious in trading the spotlight and piles of money for a higher quality of life. Although he won a national championship in his first season at Kentucky, Smith had come under increasing heat in recent years as the Wildcats failed to get high-profile recruits or get back in the Final Four.

Finally, with four years left on his contract, he bolted for Minnesota of the Big Ten. The Gophers play in a very competitive league but Minnesotans are far more likely to appreciate the things Smith can do -- run a clean program and be a consistent winner.

Alford left Iowa, where the pressure to compete for Big 10 titles is intense, for Albuquerque, often cited as one of the best places in America to live.

New Mexico is a basketball school and has one of the biggest and nicest basketball facilities in the country. Sure, the Lobos want to win, but playing in the Mountain West gives New Mexico a better chance of a quick turnaround.

Altman jumped at the chance to go to Arkansas where Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson erected a giant of a program. It has money, one of the best on-campus facilities in the country as well as tradition.

However, Altman, when he took a second look, backed out and decided to stay at Creighton. He's a Nebraskan. He's much beloved in Omaha for breathing life back into the program. And, although he won't have the resources of Arkansas, he will have job security and the knowledge of how to win at Creighton.

That wouldn't have happened to Richardson. He jumped at the chance to go to Arkansas. Richardson had no on-campus arena, bad practice facilities and few resources at Tulsa.

He did love the city and the feeling was mutual. But he couldn't say no. In today's atmosphere, Richardson might have stayed at TU longer.

Smith and Bill Self also jumped to bigger schools in power conferences. They both used that move to make another step up a few years later to traditional powers.

There's probably little that could have changed to keep those two in town much longer. Self had already turned down a very lucrative deal at Nebraska and Smith had said no to Oklahoma.

But some moves, like Steve Robinson to Florida State and Buzz Peterson to Tennessee, might be made more difficult. Tough places to win usually remain tough places to win no matter how hard you work.

That may not save Scott Sutton at ORU or Doug Wojcik at TU. If they win, the suitors will come calling. They'll carry bags of money and the promise of glory.

But as coaches are starting to realize, sometimes the grass is greener in your own backyard.

By JOHN KLEIN Senior Sports Columnist

Guess I was lucky again, huh OT?  :wink:

If Donovan was a done deal with Kentucky, Billy Clyde would be the head coach in Fayetteville right now.  He knew Donovan was probable to turn down the Cats' offer so he intelligently played it out accordingly.  Congratulations to Coach Gillispie.  He'll be an immediate rock star in Lexington.

Next, Lon Kruger to aTm.  Then, Reggie Theus to UNLV.  Then, Scott Sutton to NMSU???

Isn't New Mexico a better job than NMSU?  Scott showed no interest in New Mexico even though that is a really good job.  Scott will be back next year unless Arkansas calls him.  (In my opinion, but a lot of people would have to say no for it to get to Scott).

Guest Rob Marshall
Isn't New Mexico a better job than NMSU?  Scott showed no interest in New Mexico even though that is a really good job.  Scott will be back next year unless Arkansas calls him.  (In my opinion, but a lot of people would have to say no for it to get to Scott).

I'm not saying Scott would leave ORU for NMSU, because like you I'm not convinced Scott will leave ORU.  I'm saying IF he wanted to, Scott would be the type of guy NMSU would be interested in talking to (i.e., I'm certain Scott's name would be mentioned as a possible replacement for Reggie Theus and it would be a natural step up the coaching chain IF Scott was so inclined to go that route).  The WAC and Mountain West conferences are similar, as the entire membership of the MWC previously belonged to the original WAC "super conference" of sixteen (16) schools along with Tulsa, UTEP, Rice, and SMU.

Scott probably wasn't interested in the New Mexico job, because New Mexico was interested in Steve Alford.  Had Dana Altman stayed at Arkansas though, do you believe Scott would have interviewed at Creighton?  Or, if Turg leaves Wichita State for an Arkansas or aTm, will Scott interview with the Shox?

The logical next job for Scott will be somewhere in the Mountain West, Western Athletic, or Missouri Valley conferences.  Don't think he can make the step from ORU to the Big 12 or SEC UNLESS he stays at ORU for the next seven or eight years and continues to go annually to the NCAA tournament and makes a few runs to the regional weekend of the big dance.  If he can do that, then I think he can make the jump to a BCS league.  I'm just not certain that's what Scott even wants though.  He has a fantastic situation at ORU where he could coach out the remainder of his career if he so desired.  Stay tuned and we shall see!  :-D

He has a great situation at ORU.  He will become the all-time wins leader if he wants it.  That right there would be pretty awesome in my opinion.  Job security and quality of life are not a problem at ORU.  So many things to keep Scott around here.  Scott has bought himself a lot of time at ORU, and I think he knows how to win here.  He's figured out recruiting at ORU.  Corey Williams is a great coach for us, and has done a great job recruiting.  With that said, Sutton and Hankins do not get enough credit when it comes to recruiting.  Those guys are good at it too.  I don't think you should ever go into a job timid.  You have to have confidence or you will fail.  Lets say Scott leaves and doesn't win somewhere.  Maybe it takes him a few seasons to get a program going, but they don't give him the time like ORU did.  Where would that leave him?  I think Scott will get it done anywhere he chooses to coach at next, but what if he does fail.  Where does that leave him?  He has it pretty good at ORU, and he knows it.  Scott is still a very young head coach, and has plenty of time to get a "better" job.

The Wichita State fans are concerned that Texas A&M could be targeting Mark Turgeon. Here is the link on their message board. Could have a 'ripple effect' on ORU.

Shockernet

He has a great situation at ORU.  He will become the all-time wins leader if he wants it.  That right there would be pretty awesome in my opinion.  Job security and quality of life are not a problem at ORU.  So many things to keep Scott around here.  Scott has bought himself a lot of time at ORU, and I think he knows how to win here.  He's figured out recruiting at ORU.  Corey Williams is a great coach for us, and has done a great job recruiting.  With that said, Sutton and Hankins do not get enough credit when it comes to recruiting.  Those guys are good at it too.  I don't think you should ever go into a job timid.  You have to have confidence or you will fail.  Lets say Scott leaves and doesn't win somewhere.  Maybe it takes him a few seasons to get a program going, but they don't give him the time like ORU did.  Where would that leave him?  I think Scott will get it done anywhere he chooses to coach at next, but what if he does fail.  Where does that leave him?  He has it pretty good at ORU, and he knows it.  Scott is still a very young head coach, and has plenty of time to get a "better" job.

Mike, that's a good take!  Patience may bear out very well for Scott given all the things you mentioned...it may be a right time one day for him to move on - but as long as we have him, times may continue to be good!  :wink:

Who is that?

Greg Marshall is the head coach at Winthrop of the Big South.  He was the darling of the "Dance" this year.

Excerpt from Andy Katz's aticle on ESPN.com:

Texas A&M athletic director Bill Byrne will try to move quickly. One name on his radar is Winthrop's Gregg Marshall, whom Byrne spoke with after the Aggies beat the Eagles this season in College Station. Marshall would definitely come if asked.

There is some support within the department to try to pursue Pitt's Jamie Dixon because he played at TCU, but it may be hard to move him from a comfortable, albeit challenging job atop the Big East. There could be interest in Gillispie's chum, Nebraska's Doc Sadler, or in Wichita State's Mark Turgeon. Regardless, the pressure is on both Byrne and Weiser for their hires to maintain the enthusiasm generated by Gillispie and Huggins, respectively.

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com.

ESPN - Andy Katz Story

Guest Rob Marshall
Or, if Turg leaves Wichita State for an Arkansas or aTm, will Scott interview with the Shox?

The logical next job for Scott will be somewhere in the Mountain West, Western Athletic, or Missouri Valley conferences.  Don't think he can make the step from ORU to the Big 12 or SEC UNLESS he stays at ORU for the next seven or eight years and continues to go annually to the NCAA tournament and makes a few runs to the regional weekend of the big dance.  If he can do that, then I think he can make the jump to a BCS league.  I'm just not certain that's what Scott even wants though.  He has a fantastic situation at ORU where he could coach out the remainder of his career if he so desired.  Stay tuned and we shall see!   :-D

So, I'll ask again since Turg's name is still out there ... if the Wichita State job pops in the next couple of days, will Scott try to get an interview?  :|

Seems to be an East-Coast type of guy. Was named 2007 Mid-Major Coach of the Year by College Insider.com. He has been very successful and I would not be surprised to see him land somewhere. Arkansas is a better bet - if they go mid-major again after Heath. Only problem with him at Texas A&M is that he is not familar with the region. Can be overcome though....