Max at Texas

ORUalum

TheEagleman watched the final 5 minutes of regulation and OT....thought Max looked really good and was fouled on a late drive and nothing called....refs didn't do the Longhorns any favors during the parts of the game I watched but Houston is very good.....very physical....they got away with a lot.....wish Max had stopped and took the long jumper on that half court shot....it wasn't even close....😛

35 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

.....wish Max had stopped and took the long jumper on that half court shot....it wasn't even close....😛

Exact same play ORU ran to win the UMKC game last season on Max's half court bomb.  This time, he did not pull up and shoot a jumper as he did against the Roos, and the ball slammed against the backboard above the rim.

Sounds like just about everyone (including us) watched the Texas game last night to see Max play.

I was a bit surprised when Max inbounded the ball for that final play, thinking they'd want the ball in his hands at that point. But that was probably a bit of deception, or at least a means of keeping defense on Max minimized, because the ball immediately ended up back in his hands as he came onto the court. Very nicely done. Just too bad he missed the shot.

• Upvote 1

Max hit some big 3s down the stretch to knock off #25 TCU.  He passed Danny Manning in scoring and only trails Oscar Robertson by about 20!  Just incredible numbers put up by him!

• Like 1

Tied at 64-each in a must-win situation at No. 24 TCU with just under 4:00 to go, Max:

• stripped the ball falling out of bounds from a TCU player driving in to take the lead
  • in the ensuing possession, drove baseline for an “and 1” floater
  • drained a fall away three with the shot clock winding down on the next possession
  • drilled a 30 foot bomb from the TCU logo on the next possession (see below)
  • went 4-for-4 from the line on the next two possessions to seal the deal

He personally outscored TCU 13-2 during that stretch. Epic!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

With the score tied at 64, Max scored nine points in a row to take control of the game. Texas went on to defeat TCU in Fort Worth. In the process, Max surpassed Pistol Pete on the all time leading scorers list. WTG and congratulations, Max!

• Upvote 1

One of the announcers complimented Max's improvement on defense and that was dogging A&M's point guard the whole game. Good for him. Hopefully it will benefit him come NBA draft time. 

3 minutes ago, dave said:

One of the announcers complimented Max's improvement on defense and that was dogging A&M's point guard the whole game. Good for him. Hopefully it will benefit him come NBA draft time. 

TCU?

2 hours ago, Texasgrip said:

TCU?

Yes, My bad. Thanks Grip.

My ORU bball knowledge doesn’t go past the last 15 years or so, but has ORU had a transfer who did this well at a big school?? If so when?

Max continues to dazzle. It amazes and amuses me how much the announcers like to talk about him! They constantly sing his praises. My impression is that he's appreciated by the Texas fans almost as much as he was by the ORU fans. A mistake was made by one of the announcers today, though - he said that Texas coach Rodney Terry has developed toughness in Max, leading to his drives to the basket and taking the punishment that comes along with those drives!! 

Sorry, man! Max was driving to the hoop and dealing with the consequences long before he headed to Texas. That announcer needs to familiarize himself with Max's performance in the Summit before he compares it with his performance in the Big 12.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 2/3/2024 at 9:50 PM, 2014Grad said:

My ORU bball knowledge doesn’t go past the last 15 years or so, but has ORU had a transfer who did this well at a big school?? If so when?

The closest thing in an apples-to-oranges comparison would be Mark Gottfried, who left ORU after his freshman year in '82-'83 and finished his career as the starting point guard on three straight Sweet Sixteen teams at Alabama, but whose individual career numbers do not compare to Max.

Some other notable transfers who were "good-but-not-like-Max-good" include:

• Dana Lewis (Tulsa, late 1960's)
  • Elvis Rolle (Florida State, late 1970's)
  • Korey Billbury (Virginia Commonwealth, mid-2010's)
  • DaQuan Jeffries (Tulsa, late 2010's)
  • Kevin Obanor (Texas Tech, early 2020's)

...plus a slew of guys who found the grass was not greener elsewhere (Connor Vanover and Patrick Mwamba the latest examples)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Old Titan said:

The closest thing in an apples-to-oranges comparison would be Mark Gottfried, who left ORU after his freshman year in '82-'83 and finished his career as the starting point guard on three straight Sweet Sixteen teams at Alabama, but whose individual career numbers do not compare to Max.

Some other notable transfers who did "good-but-not-like-Max-good" include:

• Dana Lewis (Tulsa, late 1960's)
  • Elvis Rolle (Florida State, late 1970's)
  • Korey Billbury (Virginia Commonwealth, mid-2010's)
  • DaQuan Jeffries (Tulsa, late 2010's)
  • Kevin Obanor (Texas Tech, early 2020's)

...plus a slew of guys who found the grass was not greener elsewhere (Connor Vanover and Patrick Mwamba the latest examples)

Thanks for this, did some research on Gottfried and he seems to have had an impressive coaching career!!

Funny that 3 of the 6 you listed were all in the last 10ish years, college basketball really has changed!

I lived on the same floor with Korey, we had some refreshing conversations, one of the coolest and down to earth guys I met in my time at ORU! Was fun to cheer him on at VCU that final year.

Thanks for sharing!!

• Upvote 1

On 2/4/2024 at 12:06 AM, tmh8286 said:

A mistake was made by one of the announcers today, though - he said that Texas coach Rodney Terry has developed toughness in Max, leading to his drives to the basket and taking the punishment that comes along with those drives!! 

I heard him say that, too. I wonder if he meant that Terry has helped him learn how to take the contact foul and still make the shot. When Max was at ORU he did drive to the basket a lot, but he didn't seem to draw enough contact to get the foul and the basket. He just wound up on the floor and I would constantly wonder why the fouls wasn't called. My guess is, there just wasn't enough contact and that has to be coached into some guys.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, dave said:

I heard him say that, too. I wonder if he meant that Terry has helped him learn how to take the contact foul and still make the shot. When Max was at ORU he did drive to the basket a lot, but he didn't seem to draw enough contact to get the foul and the basket. He just wound up on the floor and I would constantly wonder why the fouls wasn't called. My guess is, there just wasn't enough contact and that has to be coached into some guys.

My guess is that Summit League officiating really is that bad. 

10 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

My guess is that Summit League officiating really is that bad. 

You're probably right. 

Max didn't shoot very well last night at home in a loss vs. Top 15 Iowa St....he was only 3-11 and 0-5 from long range.  😬