Max at Texas

ORUalum

thought i'd start a thread over here to follow Max at UT and so as not to muddy up the ORUMBB board

getting some run w/ pros......Trae Young, KD, Chet Holmgren among others....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I really think Abmas is going to tear up the Big 12. By that I mean he could be a all-conference player. He’s an elite player. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Idig32 said:

I really think Abmas is going to tear up the Big 12. By that I mean he could be a all-conference player. He’s an elite player. 

I think you're right, @Idig32.  Max needs to pick his spots when slashing in the middle and be on target from the perimeter.  Assuming an injury-free season, Max will be first-team All Big-12.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2023 at 8:48 PM, Bogus Smith said:

I think you're right, @Idig32.  Max needs to pick his spots when slashing in the middle and be on target from the perimeter.  Assuming an injury-free season, Max will be first-team All Big-12.

I wish Max the best, but it will be extremely difficult to be a first team Big-12 guard. He struggled against physical, athletic guards last year like Houston and Duke, and the conference schedule makers didn't do him any favors. I added the Texas Big 12 conference schedule below and they get Houston and Jamal Shead twice (Shead dominated Max last year, guarded him man to man and Max was 1-13 from the field, for 3 points!). Baylor, WVU, TX Tech twice and at Kansas and Cincinnati, K St at home with Perry, all with very tough defensive back courts and Max with his hype will have a target on him. He will also have to guard some explosive, talented NBA level guys. 

TX does have a very easy OOC schedule, but that conference schedule is a beast.  He'll get his chance to shine, but he could also struggle against the upper tier teams which have some of the best athletes in the country. He wanted to show what he's capable of against the best, he'll definitely get that opportunity. My guess is he will have a similar year to KO's first in the Big 12, probably Honorable mention as opposed to 1st team. 

What does the board think? Let's get some feedback, it's been quiet on here lately!! is Max going to be 1st team all-conference and excel or struggle at times and have ups and downs and much lower production than at ORU particularly in the Big 12 league games?

Texas
Home-and-away: Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, West Virginia
Home-only: UCF, Iowa State, K-State, Oklahoma State
Away-only: BYU, Cincinnati, Kansas, TCU

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It will be a big challenge for Max moving up to the Big 12, which is far and away the best league in college basketball.  The guy is 5'10 maybe 5'11 versus bigger stronger guards (6'4 or 6'5).  It does not matter how talented he is, that is a lot to overcome.  Texas has some solid pieces around him so I do not think Max has to be an all star for the Longhorns to be good.  It is a great opportunity for Mid Court, as he will be on ESPN most nights and maybe Sports Center once and awhile.  

Max is an all time scoring leader but at Texas he would be better suited setting up his teammates, who are talented.  I think that if Max shows that he is willing to get his teammates involved then that will open it up for him to score, as teams will not be able to double as much.  Early on he has a chance to play in Madison Square Garden and maybe even face the defending national champ UConn.  Should be exciting for Max!

8 hours ago, ORU40 said:

I wish Max the best, but it will be extremely difficult to be a first team Big-12 guard. He struggled against physical, athletic guards last year like Houston and Duke, and the conference schedule makers didn't do him any favors. I added the Texas Big 12 conference schedule below and they get Houston and Jamal Shead twice (Shead dominated Max last year, guarded him man to man and Max was 1-13 from the field, for 3 points!). Baylor, WVU, TX Tech twice and at Kansas and Cincinnati, K St at home with Perry, all with very tough defensive back courts and Max with his hype will have a target on him. He will also have to guard some explosive, talented NBA level guys. 

TX does have a very easy OOC schedule, but that conference schedule is a beast.  He'll get his chance to shine, but he could also struggle against the upper tier teams which have some of the best athletes in the country. He wanted to show what he's capable of against the best, he'll definitely get that opportunity. My guess is he will have a similar year to KO's first in the Big 12, probably Honorable mention as opposed to 1st team. 

What does the board think? Let's get some feedback, it's been quiet on here lately!! is Max going to be 1st team all-conference and excel or struggle at times and have ups and downs and much lower production than at ORU particularly in the Big 12 league games?

Texas
Home-and-away: Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, West Virginia
Home-only: UCF, Iowa State, K-State, Oklahoma State
Away-only: BYU, Cincinnati, Kansas, TCU

You may very well be right, @ORU40.  Max will be a vital part of the Longhorns' team, but I wouldn't underestimate Max as he has thrived on exceeding people's expectations.  I look forward to watching him compete on the bigger stage and hope that he (and his body) are up for the challenge.  He may not be able to out jump a taller defender, but he can outsmart most of his competition.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Max shot 4-14 last night as Longhorns lose to UConn in the tournament final......Texas' first loss of the season.....😮

Texas defeats Texas State and Max has another big night. Commentators have a field day saying good things about him. 

IMG_6985.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

nice quotes from Max about his time at ORU and Coach Springmann....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ORUalum said:

nice quotes from Max about his time at ORU and Coach Springmann....

Great interview, but then what else would you expect from Max? He's truly a stellar individual at every level. This quote caught my attention:

"I think the big thing that I've worked on is being able to extend my range to stretch the defense and make them guard more on the court. That just opens up space for all of the players on the court."

I noticed in the clips from a game a few nights ago that he didn't take a 3-point shot (at least in the video) from less that 6 feet behind the three-point arc. Shots like the game winner against UMKC are becoming routine for him!! He is without question stretching the defense!!

The other day I watched a video of Steph Curry talking about how much he works on the mechanics of his shot - and the importance of getting down the mechanics of the short shots before working on the long ones. It's something Curry said he works on every day. I think of Max working out in that same way. 

• Upvote 2

Watching Max play #8 Marquette, has 17 points with a few minutes left in the half. Announcers can't stop talking about him and have referred to ORU many times 👀👀. The free publicity is immeasurable. 

• Upvote 3

Max did play well and finished with 25 points....but unfortunately Texas got smoked by 86-65 at Marquette....😵‍💫

• 4 weeks later...