Mayor's Cup and TU

Keenan Henderson

58 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

* Something I never thought I would say:  Phipps was a big part of our win. When he came in for Herron (!) in the first half, I thought - wow, we are really going small. But Phipps held his own and did a good job helping out. He caused a couple of turnovers/steals by putting his hand on the ball/tips. And his three pointer late in the game to push the score out to 8 was big  

You could argue the minutes Phipps gave the team won the game. He played great defense, didn't allow his man to post him up, rebounded well, and his shot sealed it.

This is just my opinion but ORU CLEARLY got the better big prospect between Jones and Reed. Maybe Reed will improve his conditioning and become a decent player but right now Jones is far ahead of him and has more athletic potential.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

* Several questionable calls by a particular referee. One where he was 30 feet away from the play. I thought one of his associates ‘corrected’ one his foul calls by immediately making a borderline turnover call to give the ball back to ORU. The blocking call against McBride when the TU player knocked him in the head with his elbow looked egregious. 

I saw McBride have a conversation with him after that incident. It looked like McBride was very respectful and the referee looked like he really listened to him. 

I got there late, but saw the last 3 quarters of the game. I love that we won the rebound battle. Josh Jones is a lot bigger in person than he is on TV. I was really impressed with how he played. Of course, McBride, Weaver, and Thompson were really good too. Phipps hitting that 3 late in the game was huge. He had attempted one earlier in the game and I had actually said that it looks like there’s something wrong with his arms when he shoots, it was that bad. Overall, the game was great, the crowd got loud at times, and the student section kept me entertained during the last minute (when TU was unnecessarily prolonging the game with fouls) with their chants about having finals and needing to study. Great work by the students! 

• Upvote 5

Kareem's stat line from last night: 11 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, and 1 block.  Just another day at the office!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ORU40 said:

Jones did wear #40 in the 2nd half, coincidence he played well... I don't think so!

And due to blood on his uniform, D.J. switched to a diminutive #13 jersey in the second half that fit about as well as a Jonathan Conneely extra-smedium polo shirt.

Talk about your jinxes:  enroute to a monster night at the half with 20 points on 5-of-5 from behind the arc, Weaver went scoreless in the second half, going 0-for-5 from three and 0-for-2 from the free throw line. 

Need to get that #14 jersey bleached but quick…

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

You could argue the minutes Phipps gave the team won the game. He played great defense, didn't allow his man to post him up, rebounded well, and his shot sealed it.

This is just my opinion but ORU CLEARLY got the better big prospect between Jones and Reed. Maybe Reed will improve his conditioning and become a decent player but right now Jones is far ahead of him and has more athletic potential.

Kudos to Phipps! He made a big shot at exactly the right time! 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, tmh8286 said:

When they put in the suites.

Also, the new seats are wider and have cup holders, so they are fewer seats per row.

• Upvote 1

Cup holders a great idea so OT and OKCEagle don't have to double fist those Coors Banquets any longer.....🍺🍺

After checking the play-by-play sheet from last night, props to the ORU stat crew for a subtle interpretation of one second-half play:  with the Golden Eagles trailing by one, Issac McBride missed a lay-up that rolled off the other side of the rim.

Sir Issac Herron was well-positioned on the offside, but was engaged with at least one Golden Hurricane defender. Unable to grab the ball with both hands, he punched it back to McBride for an easy stick-back to give ORU the lead again.

Some stat crews might have logged that exchange as merely two shots with one make by McBride, while crediting him with an offensive rebound as well.  Instead, the ORU crew properly gave Herron credit for both an offensive rebound AND an assist.

It may seem trivial, but trust me:  players and coaches really appreciate that sort of attention to detail on heady plays like this one.

As do old stat crew geeks like me.  Right, TrueBlue82 ?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

After checking the play-by-play sheet from last night, props to the ORU stat crew for a subtle interpretation of one second-half play:  with the Golden Eagles trailing by one, Issac McBride missed a lay-up that rolled off the other side of the rim.

Sir Issac Herron was well-positioned on the offside, but was engaged with at least one Golden Hurricane defender. Unable to grab the ball with both hands, he punched it back to McBride for an easy stick-back to give ORU the lead again.

Some stat crews might have logged that exchange as merely two shots with one make by McBride, while crediting him with an offensive rebound as well.  Instead, the ORU crew properly gave Herron credit for both an offensive rebound AND an assist.

It may seem trivial, but trust me:  players and coaches really appreciate that sort of attention to detail on heady plays like this one.

As do old stat crew geeks like me.  Right, TrueBlue82 ?

When I saw that play, I was wondering how it would be scored, and was hoping that Herron would (appropriately) receive credit for the O Board on an obvious “tip with intent”.  But, to be honest, I never thought about also crediting him with an assist on the made follow-up basket by McBride.  I always assumed that a player would need to have full possession in order to pass the ball and earn the assist, but I’m intrigued by the thought. I may have to chew on this one a little bit.  

It is amazing that 7,000 people would come and watch a previously 2-4 ORU team.  Who would have ever dreamed that?  Yes they are better than that record and have played a tough schedule but still that is impressive.  A lot is still the overflow from three good seasons with Max.

1 hour ago, TrueBlue82 said:

When I saw that play, I was wondering how it would be scored, and was hoping that Herron would (appropriately) receive credit for the O Board on an obvious “tip with intent”.  But, to be honest, I never thought about also crediting him with an assist on the made follow-up basket by McBride.  I always assumed that a player would need to have full possession in order to pass the ball and earn the assist, but I’m intrigued by the thought. I may have to chew on this one a little bit.  

I could swear I recall learning that from you, albeit a variation on the theme:  for example, two ORU defenders double-teaming and trapping an opposing guard out top.  Without actually gaining possession, Titan #1 tips the ball intentionally far down court to Titan #2 for a breakaway lay-up.

"STEAL AND AN ASSIST" you would shout down Press Row to whomever was keeping track of those categories that game, which was sometimes me.

"GOT IT!"  I would shout back, followed typically by something along the lines of "ARE YOU GOING TO EAT THAT HOT DOG??"  🤓

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On a side note: Did anyone know that Gov. Stitt was going to be at the game?

And what did you think of Mayor Bynum getting down (lying down) on the floor with the team for the Mayor's Cup photo?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dave Connor said:

Also, the new seats are wider and have cup holders, so they are fewer seats per row.

I'm sure you're right!! I didn't really think the suites would eliminate 1,700 seats. 

7 hours ago, titansforever said:

And what did you think of Mayor Bynum getting down (lying down) on the floor with the team for the Mayor's Cup photo?

Mayor Bynum cracked me up; he looked like a guy who's ready to walk away from all the shenanigans of public office and start living his best life instead.  Major props to him.

656bfd68d992e.image.jpg

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Mayor Bynum cracked me up; he looked like a guy who's ready to walk away from all the shenanigans of public service and start living his best life instead.  Major props to him.

656bfd68d992e.image.jpg

If Issac were to stay in Tulsa, I'd say we're looking at our future mayor (or an even higher office). He's definitely a guy who reaches for the stars. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, titansforever said:

If Issac were to stay in Tulsa, I'd say we're looking at our future mayor (or an even higher office). He's definitely a guy who reaches for the stars. 

We all knew Isaac McBride was good but I for one didn't think he would be as good as Max. We all might see this a little differently  but we most likely agree that he has stepped up his game and like Max is an elite player! He is playing great against both average and elite teams. 

• Like 2