Mayor's Cup and TU

Keenan Henderson

28 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

Wish we had a shot clock on the broadcast. 

Yes. Shot clock and replay.

VICTORY IS SWEET!!!  TheEagleman loves the fight in this team and even Trey Phipps nailed a HUGE 3 ball late which was one of the key shots of the contest.....maybe I was too hard on the lad last season.....GO BLUE!!! :shield-logo:

• Upvote 5

ORU out rebounds an opponent??.....Amazing!!!  35-32....McBride, Weaver and Thompson all go 40 minutes....YIKES!!!  22 for for McBride and 20 for Weaver.....Bedford 13 and Thompson 11 also in double figures.....TheEagleman loves the balanced scoring.....crowd must have been going nuts all night in this close contest.......ORU outscores TU 23-12 in the final seven minutes....guess the Big 3 weren't tired.....can't wait to hear the inside details from those in attendence....always a wonderful night when we beat our crosstown Rivals....Rest in Peace, 11th and Harvard!!!    :tb-blue:

• Like 1

Most exhausting game I've been to in a long time!! Even worse than the buzzer-beater game against UMKC game last year, probably because of the bragging-rights nature of this game. This team is getting better and stronger with every game. It's a great night to be a Golden Eagle fan! Playing Isaac, Kareem and DJ the full forty minutes is concerning, but we'll worry about that another day. Tonight, we celebrate!!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, ctt8410 said:

Congrats to the home fans (and condolences to any of you who rely on that stream to follow your team all year). I was right about Weaver, less so about the final score. Some legitimate questions starting to arise about Konkol, but the reality was that ORU was once again the better team.

Thanks for the congrats and the sportsmanship, ctt8410. Except for a couple minute stretch late in the second half, it was anybody's game. TU is much improved since last season. 

• Upvote 1

Very excited for Coach Springmann and his first big win versus TU!  ORU now has won 19 in a row at home and will make it 20 in a row next weekend.  The crowd has been announced at around 7,000!  Great job to all the locals who supported ORU basketball tonight.

On a side note: still no sign of D Williams.  Maybe they thought it was too big of a game to throw him into after missing the first six and decided to wait until the Ozark Christian matchup next Saturday night.  Anyone know about Williams?

• Like 2

I'll tell you what these guys never disappoint when it comes to a good game lol! I will tell you though what made my ride home tonight a bit better was finding out we won the rebounding battle! Good win for these guys, but there's still many things they need to tighten up on. Overall glad we got that win and can keep the home win streak going. On another note how much longer can TU endure this coach? It's clear that he hasn't really recruited any additional talent for this team to actually do anything worth wild in their conference. Anyways glad we kept the Mayor's cup at 81st and Lewis! 

5 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Very excited for Coach Springmann and his first big win versus TU!  ORU now has won 19 in a row at home and will make it 20 in a row next weekend.  The crowd has been announced at around 7,000!  Great job to all the locals who supported ORU basketball tonight.

On a side note: still no sign of D Williams.  Maybe they thought it was too big of a game to throw him into after missing the first six and decided to wait until the Ozark Christian matchup next Saturday night.  Anyone know about Williams?

I heard he was good to go, but I'm sure they figured that this wasn't the game to "test" him out. I'm wondering about if we will see the Navarro kid from Spain at all this year. My immediate feeling is that he could resemble Jurgens from last year, but his freshman version that was pretty raw, but had hints of talent now and again. 

• Upvote 1

6949 in attendance tonight to watch ORU's domination of our crosstown rival continue....Who's your daddy, Golden Hurricane??? And Theagleman notices that the capacity of Mabee Center is now listed as 8781....since when did we lose over 1700 seats??? 🤔

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

6949 in attendance tonight to watch ORU's domination of our crosstown rival continue....Who's your daddy, Golden Hurricane??? And Theagleman notices that the capacity of Mabee Center is now listed as 8781....since when did we lose over 1700 seats??? 🤔

When they put in the suites.

• Upvote 1

The game was tied at 60 with about 5 minutes and ORU finished on a 19-10 run.  I thought they did a good job of giving Kareem the ball and then let him drive and find the opener shooter.  He passed to Trey and McBride for 3s in that span that basically put the game out of reach.

It was a good team rebounding effort.  Bedford led ORU in rebounds and he leads the team with about 7 per game on the season.  He is very aggressive in hitting the glass for a guard.  Similar to Kory Billbury from about 7-8 years ago, who also was a good rebounder from the guard position.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Roll Eags New Era said:

I'm wondering about if we will see the Navarro kid from Spain at all this year. My immediate feeling is that he could resemble Jurgens from last year, but his freshman version that was pretty raw, but had hints of talent now and again. 

When Weaver came over to be patched up for his scratch that drew blood, Pablo jumped up as though he was going into the game (which caught me as funny when it was Tony the trainer he was calling for).  Pablo had a very heavy knee brace on his right leg, which I think said a lot about his availability.  It would probably be good for him to sit this season and allow his leg to fully heal, but he was dressed out and ready to go.  If we get far enough ahead against OCC on Saturday, it's possible we could see Navarro in some mop-up duty.

As far as Jalen Miller, he has a LEG brace that immobilizes his knee from bending.  It will be interesting to see if he can come back for the conference season.  I believe he is scheduled to be back, and we could use him to give some bench minutes to Isaac and Kareem, but we are getting good minutes out of Trey in the interim.  More than anything, getting Miller back 100% is better than a limited player that may not be able to give quality minutes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

McBride was seeing double coverage in the first half versus TU, much like Max did last year.  That opened it up for DJ to hit the 3s and then McBride came up big in the second half.  He is now 10th in the nation in scoring at 22.1 points per game, which is similar to Max's numbers over the last three years.  Not saying he is Max but he has stepped into the leadership role quite nicely.

Tulsa is a young team and they shot themselves in the foot with some late turnovers last night.  When your best player is a freshman then the Hurricane still has work to do.  They should be better than last year but their conference is still pretty tough with Memphis, Florida Atlantic, SMU and a solid Wichita State team.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1