Mayor's Cup and TU

Keenan Henderson

To me, this is still the biggest game of the year for ORU, outside of the Summit League Tournament in March.  What are your thoughts on ORU's Superbowl matchup?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

To me, this is still the biggest game of the year for ORU, outside of the Summit League Tournament in March.  What are your thoughts on ORU's Superbowl matchup?

I think TU is better than last year and is tired of losing to us so this could be a tough game. If we play close to how we played K State we should win as the home crowd will make a difference. It really  would be great to take down our dear friends over at TU!

• Upvote 3

Here's what I've noticed about TU in their games so far:

• They get to the free throw line a LOT.
  • They are not great 3-point shooters.
  • They rebound more effectively than ORU (but, who doesn't, right?)
  • They are deeper than last year, but have a couple of guys fighting injuries same as ORU.
  • Their coaching in late-game situations is questionable.

Impossible (for me at least) to predict; KenPom likes ORU by a score of 74-69.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

There are some solid points about Tulsa that others have mentioned: they are a good rebounding team and the Hurricane should be tired of losing to ORU.  TU is #21 in offensive rebounds (about 15 per game) and has a 7 footer who comes off the bench.  So they have some good size and really pound the glass.  Not sure Coach Springmann has tried to schedule good offensive rebounding teams but the Eagles have run into a lot of them.

TU has lived in ORU's shadow the past 3 years and they are still in rebuilding mode.  They may not come out and say it but I think this game means a lot to the Hurricane and their 2nd year coach.  I would expect ORU to get TU's best shot and the game should come down to the final 5 minutes.  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

There are some solid points about Tulsa that others have mentioned: they are a good rebounding team and the Hurricane should be tired of losing to ORU.  TU is #21 in offensive rebounds (about 15 per game) and has a 7 footer who comes off the bench.  So they have some good size and really pound the glass.  Not sure Coach Springmann has tried to schedule good offensive rebounding teams but the Eagles have run into a lot of them.

TU has lived in ORU's shadow the past 3 years and they are still in rebuilding mode.  They may not come out and say it but I think this game means a lot to the Hurricane and their 2nd year coach.  I would expect ORU to get TU's best shot and the game should come down to the final 5 minutes.  

It is always a huge game to their fans whether they admit it or not!:) 

As Shooter says to his son in Hoosiers.....son, kick their butt!!.....well....ORU needs to kick TU's A$$....😛..:circle-logoi:😎

Tulsa has a whole new team from last year and their best player has been a freshman: PJ Haggerty from TCU.  He leads the Hurricane in scoring, assists and averages over 5 rebounds a game.  PJ has been their breakout star.  McBride will need to get the better of that matchup in the backcourt versus the freshman for ORU to win.

TU's big problem has been turnovers this year.  If the Eagles can force some turnovers and turn them into fast break points then expect a win on Saturday night.

• Upvote 2

So far this season, ORU hasn’t really had a bad loss or a good win.  That will change Saturday night, as any loss (at home, to an inferior team) would be a bad loss and any win (against an in-city rival) would be a good win. And, it sure would be nice to give Coach Springmann a 1-0 start in the series against TU!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

This is a MUST WIN for ORU....or we will never hear the end of it from 11th and Harvard....OT won't be able to enjoy his morning flapjacks at IHOP or wherever he goes without hearing some trashtalk from a loser TU Fan.....no...it's time to close the door on these clowns and show them who owns T-TOWN and it's not TU.....the Good Guys need to buckle down and play some serious ball to defend the Mabee....let's kick some butt!!!  :shield-logo:

• Like 1

What are the crowd expectations for tomorrow night??.....a sizeable turnout from our foes at 11th and Harvard?  Or are their GPS's not able to find 7777 So. Lewis?....any chance for a sellout?  ORU student body should be wild and pumped....:circle-logoi:

On 11/29/2023 at 7:42 PM, Keenan Henderson said:

I think you have a lot of good points here Keenan, but we've seen teams way better than this TU team that keep in mind has played a HORRIFIC non con schedule so far. They have played one road game and lost in OT to a in my opinion dismal Little Rock team. Hopefully our guys are fired up from being robbed of that K-state game and are ready to punch Tulsa in the mouth. It will be an exciting game for sure! Plus we are seeing some progress each game from this ORU team so I'm excited to see us hopefully defend the glass and send the hurricane home packing. Should be a good crowd too! 

19 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

What are the crowd expectations for tomorrow night??.....a sizeable turnout from our foes at 11th and Harvard?  Or are their GPS's not able to find 7777 So. Lewis?....any chance for a sellout?  ORU student body should be wild and pumped....:circle-logoi:

A sellout would be so cool! I haven't seen one of those since OSU a few years a go I think?? Could be wrong. Either way if they can get that lower bowl full which by this time it should be close to. They posted on social media that they only had 100 tickets left in the lower bowl at this point. Students should be a good crowd!

• Upvote 1

Adam said on the coach's show that the lower bowl sold out, so I would expect a crowd of at least 6-7,000 for tomorrow's game. 

The biggest concerns are as follows for the Mayor's Cup:

Tulsa has had a week off to prepare for ORU.

The Eagles have been very strong on the road but have struggled at home.

Can DJ bounce back from an off night at K-State.  

TU is shooting 41.3% and 27.3% from 3pt - they attempt 24.2 3ptrs per game (39% of their shots). They average 79.8 points per game. 

The Hurricane get to the line a lot (29.8 attempts per game) and shoot 74% - resulting in 16.2 points per game. They also grab 14.8 offensive rebounds per game while committing 15.4 turnovers per game. 

Let’s hope they shoot for their average and that we can keep them off the free throw line and offensive boards. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 3:07 PM, eagle88 said:

I think TU is better than last year and is tired of losing to us so this could be a tough game. If we play close to how we played K State we should win as the home crowd will make a difference. It really  would be great to take down our dear friends over at TU!

Heck, they couldn't be worse!:)

47 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

TU is shooting 41.3% and 27.3% from 3pt - they attempt 24.2 3ptrs per game (39% of their shots). They average 79.8 points per game. 

The Hurricane get to the line a lot (29.8 attempts per game) and shoot 74% - resulting in 16.2 points per game. They also grab 14.8 offensive rebounds per game while committing 15.4 turnovers per game. 

Let’s hope they shoot for their average and that we can keep them off the free throw line and offensive boards. 

I would think some of those stats as far as rebounds and getting to line is the quality of teams they have played so far.( Which is terrible!) 

ORU should be battle tested after trips to A&M and K state. Be interesting for sure. 

• Upvote 2

Anticipating an electric atmosphere; perhaps the best in years for this rivalry:  it's a Saturday night, students are on campus, no local high school or college football teams playing at that time, good weather.

It sounds like a few more TU fans than usual are planning to attend; no doubt due to their confidence they might win and their curiosity re: ORU's vaunted game day experience, the refurbished Mabee Center, convenient parking (as opposed to any TU athletic event), etc.

I may just stand up the whole game while screaming my head off, rather than waiting to be ordered to do so every few seconds... 😉

(On a slightly more serious note:  here's hoping the Mabee Center "yellow coats" are in good supply; crowds for games like this in recent years have tended to overwhelm the entry process, at both the ticket office windows and the escalators.  And, at the concession stands as well.  Just sayin'...)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

TheEagleman feels fairly confident that the Good Guys will rise to the occasion in front of a very large Mabee Center crowd.....students need to be loud and intimidating and hopefully many of our ORU season ticketholders will leave their oxygen tanks at home and make some noise as well....especting our boys like OldTitan, TexasGrip, OKCEagle, Bogus and ORUTerry, etc to be wild and out of control giving the zebras a hard time.....this is a MUST WIN for the home team.....and I am feeling it.....it will be a hot time at 81st and Lewis tomorrow night.....ORU 88  TU 55.......😛:tb-blue:😎

• Like 2