Mayor's Cup and TU

Keenan Henderson

From the Tulsa World:

Bill Haisten: For ORU, four losses but also positive signs

No one within the Oral Roberts basketball program likes a 2-4 start, but there are signs that first-year coach Russell Springmann’s rebuilt Golden Eagle roster eventually could develop into a Summit League contender.

Next for the Golden Eagles is the annual Mayor’s Cup game, scheduled for 7 p.m. Saturday at ORU’s Mabee Center. The Golden Eagles and University of Tulsa clash for the 58th time, with TU holding a 36-21 lead in the series.

Tulsa plays for the first time since last weekend, when it was dealt its first loss of the season – an 84-82 overtime setback at Little Rock. In TU’s first road game of the season, Golden Hurricane junior forward Carlous Williams converted a mid-range shot that sent the contest to the extra period. Tyshawn Archie totaled 17 points for the 4-1 Golden Hurricane, while Cobe Williams finished with 16.

ORU’s nonconference schedule has been substantially more difficult than TU’s. The most recent of the Golden Eagles’ four losses was an 88-78 overtime setback at Kansas State on Tuesday.

Among ORU positives were a 25-point performance by Issac McBride, a 23-point night for Jailen Bedford, 48% shooting on 3-pointers (10-of-21) and 52% shooting from the field overall (30-of-58).

At Texas A&M on Nov. 17, ORU lost 74-66 to an Aggie squad that currently is 6-2 and ranked 14th in the AP poll. McBride was brilliant in that game, totaling 27 points and seven assists. In 39 minutes, the senior from Little Rock, Arkansas, committed only one turnover.

For the Mayor’s Cup reunion of the Golden Hurricane and Golden Eagles, the lower bowl of ORU’s 8,781-seat Mabee Center already is sold out. A crowd of more than 6,000 is expected, an ORU spokesman said.

• Upvote 2

Rosters and talent rarely seems to matter in this match up. ORU famously beat Self's 2000 team and TU has come close to winning in recent years with sub 300 D1 rosters.

It depends on how the team comes out. If Beford and McBride play like they did in Manhattan I think ORU should have the edge with the home crowd.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Doors open at 5:30. We actually have less parking around the Mabee since the MCAC opened, so it'll pay to get there early. (Of course, there's always Walmart parking across the street, and the former hotel's parking lot.) Leaving after the game is going to be the REAL traffic nightmare...

• Upvote 1

Does anyone know if I will be able to view the game tomorrow evening on the GEB streaming app on my Roku TV? Or will I need SLN?

1 hour ago, dave said:

Does anyone know if I will be able to view the game tomorrow evening on the GEB streaming app on my Roku TV? Or will I need SLN?

It will only be on KGEB locally in Tulsa; otherwise, you will need the Summit League Network to watch this game tomorrow.

I just read that the game will be available on ESPN+.  Check out their lineup tomorrow if you have a subscription.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman feels fairly confident that the Good Guys will rise to the occasion in front of a very large Mabee Center crowd.....students need to be loud and intimidating and hopefully many of our ORU season ticketholders will leave their oxygen tanks at home and make some noise as well....especting our boys like OldTitan, TexasGrip, OKCEagle, Bogus and ORUTerry, etc to be wild and out of control giving the zebras a hard time.....this is a MUST WIN for the home team.....and I am feeling it.....it will be a hot time at 81st and Lewis tomorrow night.....ORU 88  TU 55.......😛:tb-blue:😎

Unfortunately I will be cheering from far and away...but the refs will still be able to hear me (if I can get a word in edgewise over the PA announcer).

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

It will only be on KGEB locally in Tulsa; otherwise, you will need the Summit League Network to watch this game tomorrow.

I just read that the game will be available on ESPN+.  Check out their lineup tomorrow if you have a subscription.

Thanks. I do have ESPN+

This is THE game for the City Title. It's so important because TU doesn't like us and has never respected us...and never will....I won't comment further on that but ORU can't beat them by enough as far as I am concerned. TheEagleman loves his Alma Mater and hopes for a good clean game on Saturday Night....but....Let's kick some TU butt!!!! 😍:tb-white:😍

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

I don’t see the game listed on ESPN+. 

ORU is currently -3.5.....lay the points as Good Guys win and cover...😍

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, dave said:

Dave the ORU twitter feed says the game is on GEB America. I think that means we can stream it on Roku with their app.  You will see that post in the thread we have pinned on how to watch games. 

If not, you’ll need SLN which I am trying to delay paying for as long as possible. 

And is it a “white out” or not?  I’ve heard it through the grapevine but not from an official source. If it is, they should publicize it better. 

Nevermind.  I found it.  It is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

Dave the ORU twitter feed says the game is on GEB America. I think that means we can stream it on Roku with their app.  You will see that post in the thread we have pinned on how to watch games. 

If not, you’ll need SLN which I am trying to delay paying for as long as possible. 

Thank you Otis. I am trying to do the same with SLN.

I hope all the locals enjoy the game and bring home an ORU win!  Get loud and get hyped (I will be the new PA announcer 😄)  Go Eagles and calling it 75-71 ORU!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

TU: *Comes in as one of the nation's worst 3-pt shooting teams*

ORU's perimeter defense: "We'll see about that."

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, dave said:

Thank you Otis. I am trying to do the same with SLN.

GEB on my Roku is doing me right. 

DJ had his Wheaties this morning 

• Upvote 1