Mayor's Cup and TU

Keenan Henderson

23 hours ago, titansforever said:

Kudos to Phipps! He made a big shot at exactly the right time! 

....and with almost no arch at all!   😁  Not complaining!  I'll take it!    Great game...Go Eagles!

I'm catching up on the MB but haven't seen much about DJ's big first half...Wow.  He really kept us in it early.  He's so streaky!  Hoping he can have more spurts this season, like he did in the first half...

Rob

• Upvote 1

On 12/3/2023 at 1:07 PM, eagle88 said:

Josh Jones may be starting to figure it out as he had a dismal 1st half and a good 2nd half where he helped the team. 

I thought the same thing during the game.  I saw him in person at the season opener at UTA.  The size and athleticism was evident but he made a lot of silly fouls.  At one point he let his emotions get the best of him but he also went over to the UTA bench to smooth things over (although he may have been sent over there 🙂).  I thought after the game....that looked a lot like a freshman playing his first D1 game.  There has been consistent improvement since then as best as I can tell.  If he's playing smart basketball with confidence when we get into Summit League play I like our odds.

On 12/3/2023 at 2:23 PM, Idig32 said:

Phipps hitting that 3 late in the game was huge.

Agreed but it was also a great pass from Kareem!

Sir Isaac is also a guy that seems to be figuring things out.  It seems like I've been hearing some you clamor for years for "more Sir Isaac!"  Our front line seems to shaping up much better than I expected.

Lastly, I've mentioned that we are friends with a family whose son is a freshman on the TU team.  They were at the game on Saturday night.  In fact, they reached out to to ask how the grandparents could watch the game because that is my area of expertise LOL but I digress.  The dad mentioned to me how loud the gym was as well as the size of the crowd.  Not sure our family friend is going to experience that much at their home games but I didn't say that.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

I am not sure that Pinnell and Stitt are best buddies but I digress…

They are pretty good friends, but I will say that their attention is changing to the 2026 election where Pinnell will be running for Stitt's term-limited position.  I would expect Stitt to support him.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Maybe if the tables turn and TU wins next season in the Reynolds Center, we will witness a genuinely historic moment, replete with a court-storming of epic proportions.

At least, as epic as can be mustered by two dozen computer science majors and a handful of geriatrics with walkers... 

They seem to be taking it well… 😆

IMG_9888.png

https://tulsa.forums.rivals.com/threads/disgusting.26369/

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

They seem to be taking it well… 😆

IMG_9888.png

https://tulsa.forums.rivals.com/threads/disgusting.26369/

Yes, and their favorite insult du jour appears to be variations on the theme of "Everybody out there (at ORU) is weird."

Who should break the news that's what an energized fan base of a winning team looks like?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

I just hope that once tulsa shuts down their basketball program, at least a few of the tu fans will find it in them to support the Golden Eagles. There’s always room for a few more supporters… 

• Haha 2

The crowd was great for TU but it will be interesting to see if this continues.  ORU has two NAIA games during the holidays/students leave season.   Their next D1 opponent in the Mabee is not until Jan. 6th.   So hopefully after basically a month off, the crowds will come back.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

The crowd was great for TU but it will be interesting to see if this continues.  ORU has two NAIA games during the holidays/students leave season.   Their next D1 opponent in the Mabee is not until Jan. 6th.   So hopefully after basically a month off, the crowds will come back.

Attendance always thins out over the holiday break with students gone and lots of alternative activities going on, but then picks back up in the new year.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

The quest is continuing to keep ORU "top of mind" for the fair-weather folks in Category #3. They look for the best night out at any given date, and their loyalty can be quickly won (or lost) depending on esoteric factors such as W/L record, marquee match-ups, promotions, ticket affordability, etc.

There seemed to be a lot of these people there. There was a fairly large group (looked to be a few families) right in front of me. The adults seemed to lean towards ORU as they had ORU gear on. It was clear that they were just out for a fun family outing, and don’t normally attend the games, because they were in the upper sections. 

Which brings up another point that the ORU administrators might have to consider. If attendance continues to improve, and opening the upper sections is needed for a majority of games, then investing in a sound system that will cover the upper sections is going to be essential. I was in the upper section on Saturday, and it was difficult to hear the announcer, and very difficult to hear the in-game emcee during the games and promotions during the breaks. My concern is that people who are buying tickets as casual fans and then sit in the upper deck will not come back because the experience is not as good when it’s hard to hear what’s going on with the in-game promotions. 

• Upvote 3

My sense or perspective during the successes of the Max Abmas and Co. years is that quite a bit of the growth were the category 3 type, fans looking for a little excitement on Saturday nights and ready to hitch their wagons to a winning team. Some of them may have been people with an allegiance or connection to ORU and just needed a little encouragement to become supporters. 

I'm thinking if ORU struggles this season we'll lose some of some of those that were just looking for a fun night out. Hopefully we'll pick up some long time fans from the latter group I mentioned. 

At this point, ORU is looking better in every game, and I don't expect the type of struggles that would cost fans. While we may not be the juggernaut we were last season, I'm feeling pretty good about where we're headed, especially if we can get couple guys healthy to add back into the rotation. I'm thinking that we'll see minimal drop-off in attendance this season.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Idig32 said:

I was in the upper section on Saturday, and it was difficult to hear the announcer, and very difficult to hear the in-game emcee during the games and promotions during the breaks.

Resisting the temptation to ask how far back one should sit to not hear the PA at ALL...

(C'mon - that set-up was an alley-oop; I had to slam it home!) 😁

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Resisting the temptation to ask how far back one should sit to not hear the PA at ALL...

(C'mon - that set-up was an alley-oop; I had to slam it home!) 😁

I too was gonna ask; if you couldn’t hear the PA announcer how did you know when we were on defense?

• Haha 4