TU game tickets

oruvoice

Gold,

At least we don't trash your school with emotional insults like the cute little link that you posted... it isn't like we can't do the same thing to you, we choose not to. 

Actually I have always credited you with more class than that...please don't let me down.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold*

• Mike Minyard

• Dr. Cornelius

• buildingforthefuTUre

It's all in good fun, ORUmom.  If someone wants to make sexually derogatory slights at our nickname, I'll be happy to let them do so in a place where I won't feel bad about it and I can respond in due course.  One your posters did just that, so I gave him an opportunity to do so in a place where it won't be edited.

Well Gold, I'm seriously impressed with the bashing on your link.  Amazing intelligence over there.  I especially love the colorful language on one reply.  It's amazing that the thread kept going all summer and fall.  Lots to discuss on the TU boards or what.  It's actually a compliment to our program that the bashing has to constantly go on with fans that hardly acknowledge ORU exists.  That thread really shows the world the quality of people on both boards.  I don't see those kinds of childish comments towards programs and individuals on very many boards around so congrats.

what does this stuff have to do with tu game tickets

my eyes are bleeding you people are sad this just proves tu hates oru

tell us something we didnt know already

tu always has an excuse for everything their just a bunch of losers in nice cars

cant wait to lay the wood to them one more time

Ed,

Then you've never been to the OSU, Fresno, or UTEP boards.

I'm not the one who referenced "golden showers" on this board.

Trash talk is part of the message board experience. I don't do it here for a variety of reasons, but for the most part when you see that stuff, it's all about bullin'.  Call me immature or attack me all you want -- one of your more verbose posters started a whole thread dedicated to TU/ORU smack talk on our board last week.  It's not like I'm the first person to do it.

I'll keep all my Ned Flanders jokes to myself on here...

I had thought that Gold was a reasonable TU fan based on his posts here but I see that I was wrong.  I don't understand why people enjoy hating others.  I'm glad that we keep that stuff to a minimum here

Then why do so many of the ORU posters keep coming back for more? :?

Smack talk hardly constitutes bigotry -- if you think that is bad, you'd have to see what is said when we play UTEP or Fresno in football.  This stuff is nothing compared to other great rivalries like Ohio State/Michigan and OU/Texas.  If you guys want a great rivalry, be prepared for some levity from the fans.  If you guys truly think you are entering the big time in college athletics, be prepared for sooo much more.

wow!  I know what you mean okc.

and you know how upsetting calling a hurricane a shower can be it's like those horrible remarks like calling us sparrows instead of eagles...I can see why Gold would be so upset.  

Then why do so many of the ORU posters keep coming back for more? :?

Smack talk hardly constitutes bigotry -- if you think that is bad, you'd have to see what is said when we play UTEP or Fresno in football.  This stuff is nothing compared to other great rivalries like Ohio State/Michigan and OU/Texas.  If you guys want a great rivalry, be prepared for some levity from the fans.  If you guys truly think you are entering the big time in college athletics, be prepared for sooo much more.

I edited the original reference which I agree was in bad taste. I don't think that we here have the same appetite for name calling... If that denies us a place in "bigtime college athletics" well, I'm sure most of us would be fine with that.

For something more on target..... I have received two calls this morning from customers with TU tickets offering me their tickets (or to sit with them). And they know how much of a big ORU fan I am. Tells me that they are not confident about the game - or that they can't get other TU fans to join them.... or both.

Thanks, Dr. C.

I didn't say name-calling was commensurate with big-time athletics.  What I should have said is that you'll start to deal with passionate fans who will say things to goad you into getting angry and reacting.  Some call it "trolling."  It's almost an art form on these things and I'll admit I enjoy it from time to time (when our football team took off, we became a lightning rod for it -- ask CB about the Georgia, Fresno, or UNC posters some time).  Some of your posters clearly enjoy it as well and they were invited to partake in it elsewhere.  I respect your board and was not trying to muddy it up.

Can we get back to talking about recruiting?  I'm still waiting for a list of ORU players  on the current team who opted for ORU over TU. :-D

Can we get back to talking about recruiting?  I'm still waiting for a list of ORU players  on the current team who opted for ORU over TU. :-D

And I'm waiting to hear why TU didn't recruit any of ORU's guys.  Why wouldn't Tulsa recruit Adam Liberty, Shawn King, Caleb Green or Marchello Vealy?  Those are guys that all played in Oklahoma.  Tulsa would rather give a scholarship to someone out of state.  I just can't understand that philosophy.  All four of those guys would start for TU right now.

The whole point of my argument is that ORU is getting better players.  Maybe the experts don't agree, but I'm happy with the results.  I don't care what Rivals says or any publication.  The bottom line is that ORU is getting better players... period.  Maybe TU should reevaluate how they recruit.  It sure seems like ORU is doing it the right way.  A player can still be good if TU ignores them.  You're argument makes it sound like ORU players aren't that good because TU didn't recruit them.

I dunno about a 4-peat yet. TU isn't as weak as they have been in the past. Uzoh and Mclean are good. Plus this is their SuperBowl... this is the one game they circle all year.

This is the one game a year I dont root for ORU and I think this is more of an ORU fan perspective. As an open champion for both teams but an admitted TU die-hard, I can tell you that this assessment is incorrect and actually, the reverse is true. TU fan in general does not like ORU and they are a rival for sure but it is in NO way the biggest game of the year, the Superbowl or even the one game circled. Most TU fans would trade an ORU win for a conference win, maybe not the ones on this board harrassing you but in general, that is the truth. I dont recall TU making taunting shirts, pre or post ORU game or harboring scores for years... TU measures their success, not by the yearly game with ORU, but by the banners that hang in the rafters at the Reynolds Center. ORU beats TU the Elite 8 year and TU goes on one of the best mid-major runs in NCAA history, losing 5 games to 3 teams all year, by a total of 12 points. TU was a couple buckets/bounces away from being 37-0 and in the final 4. TU fan doesnt harbor ill will for that year, just merely dismisses the ORU loss as proof that anything can happen in this game.

As for me, I actually support a home and home game YEARLY, meaning we play once early in the year and once later. There are several examples of rivals who do this but AFAIK, I am the only one who thinks it would be good for ORU/TU.... thoughts???

ash  =o)

PS  I think TU pulls off the win tomorrow

And I'm waiting to hear why TU didn't recruit any of ORU's guys.  Why wouldn't Tulsa recruit Adam Liberty, Shawn King, Caleb Green or Marchello Vealy?  Those are guys that all played in Oklahoma.  Tulsa would rather give a scholarship to someone out of state.  I just can't understand that philosophy.  All four of those guys would start for TU right now.

The whole point of my argument is that ORU is getting better players.  Maybe the experts don't agree, but I'm happy with the results.  I don't care what Rivals says or any publication.  The bottom line is that ORU is getting better players... period.  Maybe TU should reevaluate how they recruit.  It sure seems like ORU is doing it the right way.  A player can still be good if TU ignores them.  You're argument makes it sound like ORU players aren't that good because TU didn't recruit them.

My argument is hardly that the players aren't good because TU didn't recruit them -- I have conceeded Caleb Green countless times.  It went towards this idea that somehow ORU was way better at recruiting than TU.  That's poppycock when you look at the record of head to head competition for players.  TU wins 99% of the time.

Tulsa didn't offer Caleb because we screwed up, as did 300+ other D-1 programs.  What were his other offers?  ORU took a risk that we wouldn't take -- we should have, considering that Anthony Price was much the same story as far as academics.  You should give props to your staff for that.

Tulsa didn't recruit King -- I don't know why.  He sounds like he was put at a JUCO by Eddie Sutton.  IIRC, he's not originally from Oklahoma.  We already had Mitchell and Ramsdell.  King would not start for TU over the Walls/Ramsdell tandem.  He's good, but Wojcik had his guys already.  (Obviously, I would trade Green/King for Walls/Ramsdell... but that's because Caleb Green is THAT good.)

Tulsa recruited Liberty.  I'm pretty sure I've said that two times in this thread already.  We liked Kelly and McDade more.  In both cases, we probably made the right decision. Kelly just didn't like school, but was considered a steal.  McDade was our best player last year and through this past summer.  I don't think Liberty would clearly start for TU over McDade, Earls, and Uzoh.  

No idea why we didn't recruit Vealy.  That said, he's still more of a prospect than a consistent performer at this point.  He was AMAZING against Kansas, but how many 3s has he hit since?  We signed Crow, who fit an immediate need, along with Coleman and Reese, all of whom play roughly the same position.  To be fair, TU didn't have time to recruit him.  We had no coach most of that season.  Vealy would not start for TU over Uzoh.

TU has recruited good players in Oklahoma in the past, but just because we don't find someone locally who fits our needs, it doesn't mean we're doing a bad job.  Why didn't ORU recruit Ben Uzoh, Jamel McLean, Calvin Walls, Mark Hill, or Jerome Jordan?  All have as much or more upside than anyone in your current crop of new players.

Again, you say that ORU is better at recruiting than TU.  One prime indicator is the record of the two schools head to head -- you even referenced Corey Williams to support the point.  My response is that Williams hasn't beat us on a player that we offered, unless you can provide evidence otherwise.

TU fan in general does not like ORU and they are a rival for sure but it is in NO way the biggest game of the year, the Superbowl or even the one game circled. Most TU fans would trade an ORU win for a conference win, maybe not the ones on this board harrassing you but in general, that is the truth. I dont recall TU making taunting shirts, pre or post ORU game or harboring scores for years...

So, the timing of this event (see link), along with the t-shirt hand-out, is merely a coincidence?

http://tulsa.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1773&tid=84081937&mid=84081937&sid=1115&style=2

As I said in my post yesterday, year in and year out, TU fans care more about this game way more than they let on.  They just try to be "cool" about it.