TU game tickets

oruvoice

Good question -- they did the same thing last year for the OU game.

My guess is that several factors are involved.  First, basketball has to compete with football at TU.  We had a lot of mid-week football games this year, making it hard to schedule multiple events and realistically expect students to come out.  Second, a lot of TU students had exams in late October/ early November.  I'm sure there is more to it.

This is the first thing we've ever done for an ORU game that I can remember.  And to borrow from Ash, we aren't making t-shirts that say "ORU" on them -- these are probably similar to the goofy shirts from last year.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold*

• Mike Minyard

• ManiacAlum

• buildingforthefuTUre

It has to do with a "name" opponent and the students return from break. I am a fan of both schools, openly so and it is just a FACT that, in general, ORU fan cares much more about this game than TU fan. It is not that they dont care, or that it is just another game, it is just not near as big a deal to TU fan as it is to ORU fan. Most objective observers would agree.

ash  =o)

TU fans shouldn't waste their time with t-shirts that say "Beat ORU" anyway, we all know that won't happen.

The Beat TU t-shirts have been an annual tradition at ORU ever since I was a student in 2001.  I actually think I have about three different Beat TU shirts.  ORU is a t-shirt happy campus, and have shirts for just about every event.  We even had t-shirts made for the second exhibition game.  It's just an excuse to make another t-shirt.  I continue to be impressed with the ORU student body.  The student body took a lot of heat for years until the Mabee Maniacs were formed.  The Maniacs have really done a great job promoting ORU athletics.

It seems to me that this game is more important to the TU administration than it is to the general TU basketball fan.

Is that mid-term exams in late October?  Come on, a little pep rally would be a much needed brake from the books.  Seems to me that this could have been scheduled right before the regular season opener against St. Gregory's.

(FYI... Lamar had a tough time with St. Greg's last night)

ashVID... I think you're actually a good poster from TU.  The only negative about you is that you're a TU fan.  I look past it most of the time though because you do have quality posts.  At least you're objective.

I dont think there is anything wrong with the "Beat TU" or the "We just beat TU" shirts, just saying that is not something you see TU doing and I am using that to support my feeling that this is a much bigger game in the mind of ORU fan than in the mind of TU fan.

ash  =o)

...this is a much bigger game in the mind of ORU fan than in the mind of TU fan.

ash  =o)

Okay, then - try this one on for size:  LOSING this game is a bigger deal to TU fans than it is to ORU fans (because TU is usually favored).  Wouldn't you agree with THAT?

By golly, Old Titan. I think you've found it!

Historically, if ORU loses this game we just chalked it up that TU had more money and resources than ORU, and that they were supposed to win. No big deal. The season is far from over. If we just take care of business in the Mid-Con, we'll be in the NCAA's.

Now if TU lost, then it was always weeping and gnashing of teeth; and talks of how "this team is the worst in school history". They always tried to take the pressure off by reminding themselves of their superiority; that's why it burned them so much when they lost.

This time it's a little different. We're the team that is the favored to win, so I don't think they will take it as hard if they lose tomorrow. Now next year will be a different story. Caleb and Ken will be gone, and Woj will be in his 3rd year at the helm. If he doesn't beat us, then we could see the trend go back to normal with the TU laments over their program and coaches.

Hey Alum,

There was actually no argument over Williams' resume.  I believe I said it was impressive.

Want to talk trash?  Head to this link.  Thank you.

http://mb3.scout.com/ftulsafrm1.showMes ... =139.topic

Ha, like i'm going over to that TU lovefest and listen to you and two other dudes trade misspelled insults about ORU, its religious beliefs, the 'Maybee' Center parking lot, etc..A lot of those posts were made in the summer, I KNOW that I wasn't talking TU hoops this past summer.

Then why do so many of the ORU posters keep coming back for more? :?

There's something magical about trolls...they just keep pulling us in! :-P

Plain and simple, we have TU's attention because we have beat them for the past 3 years.

The way to gain more respect is to beat TU again.  I hope some of the players read this thread (although I'm sure they have better things to do).

Saying that TU and ORU don't recruit the same players is a backhanded comment questioning the academic quality of ORU student athletes and the ORU student body in general.  If TU is the "Duke" of the Southwest, then why do TU fans have to criticize ORU to make TU look better.  It seems unnecessary, and is really embarassing for TU.

It is silly to argue over who's recruits are better over the last 2 years.  Most of those players are just now beginning to contribute significantly.  Curtis Allen, Marcus Lewis, and Egidijus Budrikis won't even play until November of 2007.

Wins and losses will tell you who has recruited better.

The respect for ORU will grow as we keep winning.  Last week ORU got 4 votes in the AP Top 25 and 7 votes in the Coaches Poll.  I was disappointed that this week, ORU got 0 votes in the AP Top 25 (after going 2-0) and 4 votes in the Coaches Poll.  

While it is early, ORU is 23 in the RPI, and TU is 46 in the RPI.  Which means that if ORU beats TU, it will very positively affect our RPI.

If ORU continues to beat TU this year, and next year, it WILL affect TU's ability to recruit in-state vs. ORU.

On another note, I would love a home-and-home series with TU each year, as was suggested earlier.  In reality, this is now a real rivalry and it is good for the city of Tulsa.

I guess I'm the opposite to AshVID.  Growing up in Tulsa and attending ORU, there's no doubt where my allegiance lies when it comes to ORU v. TU.  But I can honestly say I've never rooted against TU in any game for any sport (besides the annual Cup).  I remember being thrilled when TU won the NIT...(and equally non-elated about those persistent polka-dot ties Nolan always wore!)

As I've said before, I just can't relate to the sour grapes fan perspective.  That's why I can root for the DALLAS COWBOYS! as well as the Texans...the SOONERS! as well as the Longhorns...and the GOLDEN EAGLES! as well as the Golden Hurricane...

(...unless those teams are playing one another!)

You had me agreeing until you got to the Dallas part.  I just can't do it.  Them and the Yankees should losr every game.  But I like it when TU wins, other than against ORU.

You had me agreeing until you got to the Dallas part. 

But I'm sure you jumped right back on board when he got to the Sooners-Longhorns, right?

I'm right there with you grip, other than the longhorns (BLAAAAHH!!).  I always root for TU to do well.  It was exciting in the early 90s when ORU bball was marginal at best to see TU going to the sweet 16 and beyond.  I'm a huge OU football fan, but other than this last weekend, I always root for OSU.  I'll cheer on TU this year against other foes, its just when it comes to this game, the passion runs deep against the hurricane.  Can't wait until tonight.  Go eagles

But I'm sure you jumped right back on board when he got to the Sooners-Longhorns, right?

I like to see Texas do well out of the conference and will root for them in their bowl game.  Sometimes it can be fun to root for Texas A&M as well.

Ha, like i'm going over to that TU lovefest and listen to you and two other dudes trade misspelled insults about ORU, its religious beliefs, the 'Maybee' Center parking lot, etc..A lot of those posts were made in the summer, I KNOW that I wasn't talking TU hoops this past summer.

Your forum isn't exactly going to win a Spelling Bee...

A lot of your fellow fans have been talking about this game since this time last year.  Many of us trade barbs throughout the year.  That's what happens with rivalries.  If y'all want this to be a big game, you need to act like it actually is.

Saying that TU and ORU don't recruit the same players is a backhanded comment questioning the academic quality of ORU student athletes and the ORU student body in general.  If TU is the "Duke" of the Southwest, then why do TU fans have to criticize ORU to make TU look better.  It seems unnecessary, and is really embarassing for TU.

But it's true that they rarely recruit the same players.  For example, TU didn't even look at Justin Robinson, perhaps because they knew he wouldn't qualify.  You guys signed him and guess what -- he didn't qualify.  Similarly, Bluitt didn't qualify for TU out of high school.  Generally, TU has higher standards than other schools, although I know many smirk at that because we have taken a couple of marginally qualified players over the years (Yusef Baker).  Rod Earls didn't get to play with TU the summer before he transferred because the school made him get additional credits (for example, we won't count a "D" from a Junior College).

It's not a criticism of ORU -- it's the reality of TU, especially when we are frequently questioned by your fans as to why we don't recruit certain local players.  I'll admit there is a very arbitrary standard at play somewhere, as we have taken some marginally qualified players over the years.  But other than Baker, everyone else passed the NCAA Clearinghouse before enrolling.  The same cannot be said for ORU, who lost three recruits this summer.

I would attribute a lot of the arbitrary nature of TU's recruiting to how desperate the staff became under Phillips.  They knew Baker wouldn't qualify, but signed him to act like they had accomplished something.

I sure hope your players pass the NCAA Clearinghouse prior to enrolling.  You might have some NCAA issues if that wasn't the case.  TU had a chance to get Bluitt out of prep school too. 

Bluitt chose to go to ORU because of Markius Barnes, and several players have chosen to go to ORU because of Bluitt.  Now it looks like the recruits really like Yemi.