2023 Individual and Team Accolades

Old Titan

One of the team's most remarkable statistic is their fielding percentage - currently ranked as tops in the NCAA college baseball records.  Out of 2,083 opportunities, the team has only 34 errors committed.  The team's defense has been exceptional this season.  We always hear that "defense wins championships" and baseball is no different.

Keep up the good work guys and don't lose your focus - pitching, hitting, and defense will get this team to the CWS.

FieldingPercentage.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bogus Smith said:

One of the team's most remarkable statistic is their fielding percentage - currently ranked as tops in the NCAA college baseball records.  Out of 2,083 opportunities, the team has only 34 errors committed.  The team's defense has been exceptional this season.  We always hear that "defense wins championships" and baseball is no different.

Keep up the good work guys and don't lose your focus - pitching, hitting, and defense will get this team to the CWS.

FieldingPercentage.jpg

Great post, Bogus. There were several defensive plays last night that Washington did not complete successfully (two counted as errors plus a few others that were recorded as hits) where I thought “ORU’s defense would have made the play”.  I’ve become so accustomed to watching ORU’s elite level of defense that I’ve come to expect it - and the Huskies did not operate at that same level.  There’s no doubt in my mind that ORU’s defensive expertise (and Washington’s lack thereof) was a key component of last night’s comeback victory. 

As to “defense wins championships”, you will note that four of the five top defensive teams (all except Creighton) advanced to the NCAA tournament - and all four are still alive heading into day three of their respective regionals. 

• Upvote 3

The SL Twitter handle is all about ORUBase. Can’t believe my eyes 😂😂😂

The Summit League riding the ORU Train…

2023 NCAA Baseball Stillwater Regional All-Tournament Team
Most Outstanding Player - Cade Denton (ORU)
Catcher - Jacob Godman (ORU)
First Base - Jake McMurray (ORU)
Second Base - Miguel Santos (DBU)
Third Base - Kodie Kolden (DBU)
Shortstop - Mac McCroskey (ORU)
Left Field - AJ Guerrero (Washington)
Center Field - Jonah Cox (ORU)
Right Field - Carson Benge (OSU)
Designated Hitter - Johnny Tincher (Washington)
Pitcher - Braxton Bragg (DBU)
Pitcher - Dalton Patten (ORU)

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

This brings to mind a very strange post-game Sunday night:

• No on-field recognition of the ORU team by any tournament officials
  • No trophy, or medals, or t-shirts, hats, etc.
  • No on-field team photo with banner, bracket sign, etc.
  • No PA announcment of the All-Regional team or MVP.
  • Frankly, NOTHING (other than ORU's dogpile and traditional team prayer, followed by a lot of milling around until family members came onto the field for hugs all around.)
  • Only thing in the post-game other than from ORU was the OSU grounds crew immediately coming onto the field and generally making a nuisance of themselves with their water hoses and leaf-blowers at full volume.  I kept expecting them to turn out the stadium lights any minute.
  • Also, no handshake line with the DBU team, who met for an extended period in right field.

Not sure if this is all by design or what, but it smacked of either the NCAA not properly staffing the event, or OSU tournament directors just wanting to go home after a long, disappointing weekend.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

• No PA announcement of the All-Regional team or MVP.
  • Frankly, NOTHING (other than ORU's dogpile and traditional team prayer, followed by a lot of milling around until family members came onto the field for hugs all around.)
  • Only thing in the post-game other than from ORU was the OSU grounds crew immediately coming onto the field and generally making a nuisance of themselves with their water hoses and leaf-blowers at full volume.  I kept expecting them to turn out the stadium lights any minute.
  • Also, no handshake line with the DBU team, who met for an extended period in right field.

Not sure if this is all by design or what, but it smacked of either the NCAA not properly staffing the event, or OSU tournament directors just wanting to go home after a long, disappointing weekend.

I waited for an eyewitness account before posting on this topic.  The ESPN+ broadcast cut away pretty quickly but not fast enough to miss the grounds crew walking past our celebration.  I listened to Adam Hildebrandt's post game interviews on the ORU Sports Network.  Coach Fulmer had to raise his voice to be heard above the leaf-blowers.  Of course, Adam was professional as always and didn't make a mention of the distraction.

Just guessing that wouldn't have happened had the Oklahoma State Cowboys prevailed.  Pretty disappointing from an athletic department I generally hold in high esteem....at least when compared to their neighbors to the south.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

I waited for an eyewitness account before posting on this topic.  The ESPN+ broadcast cut away pretty quickly but not fast enough to miss the grounds crew walking past our celebration.  I listened to Adam Hildebrandt's post game interviews on the ORU Sports Network.  Coach Fulmer had to raise his voice to be heard above the leaf-blowers.  Of course, Adam was professional as always and didn't make a mention of the distraction.

Just guessing that wouldn't have happened had the Oklahoma State Cowboys prevailed.  Pretty disappointing from an athletic department I generally hold in high esteem....at least when compared to their neighbors to the south.

That's no way for our boys to be treated at O'Roberts Stadium since, as Cade Denton says below, "THIS IS OUR HOUSE!!" 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

• No PA announcment of the All-Regional team or MVP.

I thought the same thing, OT, but thought perhaps it was just me. Appreciate your taking the time to express what I was thinking. 

• Upvote 3

This just reminds me that the most heartwarming thing about ORU making a super regional is that OSU and OU did not.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, ManiacAlum said:

This just reminds me that the most heartwarming thing about ORU making a super regional is that OSU and OU did not.

Nor DBU, a thorn in Ryan Folmar's side for a decade, and those godless Razorpiggies also staring at elimination as we speak, trailing 2-1 in the fourth inning of the first of two possible elimination games in Hogetteville.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Nor DBU, a thorn in Ryan Folmar's side for a decade, and those godless Razorpiggies also staring at elimination as we speak, trailing 2-1 in the fourth inning of the first of two possible elimination games in Hogetteville.

I have fortunately never had the displeasure of running into many hardcore Woo Pig Sooie fans but I remember the stories about how awful they were the last couple of regionals we had with them.

My very first "real" job after graduating from ORU was as a bank teller at the BOK in the Albertson's that used to be on 81st and Yale. We just started making those debit cards that had OU, OSU and TU logos.

I jokingly asked my boss, an OSU t-shirt alumnus (of all things)- "Where are the ORU cards?"

He says "We'll make one when ORU actually does something"

That's not as off-putting as all the TU fans still living in 1994, and I have plenty of great OU/OSU friends, but never forgot that lol

Edit: Oh and DBU's players are just baseball zombies. They just don't stop hitting until you put them away. I can't even hate them.

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

The Piggies got up on TCU only to have TCU score 3 runs in the 6th to retake the lead 6-4.  That would be something if the 3 seed gets bounced by the Frogs.

3 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

So nice to see Jacob Godman getting recognized.  He's been a wonderful catcher this year.  We had no errors this weekend, and I don't remember any passed balls by Godman.

It was great to see different players step up each game.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

TCU bounces Arkansas, 12-4, to take the Fayetteville Regional

2 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

TCU bounces Arkansas, 12-4, to take the Fayetteville Regional

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

Frankly very relieved there’s no chance now of facing the Piggies in Omaha; getting that far only to (possibly) be eliminated by them yet again would be the ultimate indignity. 

• Upvote 1