2023 Individual and Team Accolades

Old Titan

Through games yesterday, ORU is one of two teams in the nation that is in the top ten in batting average (#10 .317) and earned run average (#4 3.71).  The other team is the University of Virginia at #1 .334 / #6 3.91. 

Individually, Jonah Cox is #4 in the nation in batting average at .425; he falls to second in the nation in hits at 94, behind Jeron Williams from Toledo (96 hits). 

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/baseball/d1

Toledo???....😬

2 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

Through games yesterday, ORU is one of two teams in the nation that is in the top ten in batting average (#10 .317) and earned run average (#4 3.71).  The other team is the University of Virginia at #1 .334 / #6 3.91. 

Individually, Jonah Cox is #4 in the nation in batting average at .425; he falls to second in the nation in hits at 94, behind Jeron Williams from Toledo (96 hits). 

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/baseball/d1

And the tiebreaker goes to…. ORU!

Fielding Percentage - ORU is ranked #3; Virginia #46.  

Seriously, to have a team ranked in the top ten of batting, pitching AND defense is pretty incredible.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Seriously, to have a team ranked in the top ten of batting, pitching AND defense is pretty incredible.  

Which is the reason that I think we will make some noise in the regionals.  At least get to the regional championship game and even get into the Super Regional for the first time in 17 years.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I will never understand the rhyme or reason for how these positions get voted on.  Fortunately, the coaches aren't making the same mistake of not including an All-American (Denton) on the first team. 

How does the Defensive Player of the Year not make the first team - even with a conference slash line of .333/.414/.573, including 7HRs and 32 RBIs?

Blaze Brothers is Honorable Mention? When the other Summit League teams can't even muster a .500 record for their season?

I guess we should just bow down and thank the SL baseball gods for the bounty that they have provided.  I don't mean to take away from some of the other players that are good and deserving (i.e, McDonald, Boeve, Feeney, etc.), but six on the first team is slight in my humble opinion.

• Upvote 4

On 5/23/2023 at 11:47 AM, Old Titan said:

I also found it head-scratching that North Dakota State rated not but TWO starting pitchers out of three on the First Team, one of them with a LOSING RECORD (Cade Feeney at 5-6) and stats for both that pale in comparison to ORU's Saturday and Sunday starters.  

I guess Harley Gollert (9-1) and Brooks Fowler (8-1) just don't measure up to that powerful Bison pitching staff (5.52 team ERA compared to ORU's nationally-ranked 3.71).

All-Star players rise to the occasion in the playoffs.  

“First-teamer” Cade Feeney was rocked for 7 runs in four innings last night in taking the loss in a critical first-round game.
“Second-teamer” Harley Gollert earned his tenth win of the season yesterday, allowing two runs (on two solo home runs) in seven innings of work.  

Case closed.  Once again, the Summit League’s anti-ORU bias led to a very poor decision in the all-league pitching selections. 

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, TrueBlue82 said:

All-Star players rise to the occasion in the playoffs.  

“First-teamer” Cade Feeney was rocked for 7 runs in four innings last night in taking the loss in a critical first-round game.
“Second-teamer” Harley Gollert earned his tenth win of the season yesterday, allowing two runs (on two solo home runs) in seven innings of work.  

Case closed.  Once again, the Summit League’s anti-ORU bias led to a very poor decision in the all-league pitching selections. 

One thing you can always count on with the league office is "participation trophies" going out to the Dakota schools/athletes wherever possible.

Gotta keep MIDCO, Stanford Health and all those local sponsors happy!

• Haha 1

Just to pile on a bit… I know that it sounds like ORU  “homerism” to suggest that the Summit first team starting pitchers should have been Jakob Hall, Harley Gollert, and Brooks Fowler, with closer Cade Denton as Pitcher of the Year.  But, that’s exactly why ORU finished a ridiculous 23-1 in conference play.  

I’m also pretty confident that Harley and Brooks are not terribly concerned about not having “Summit League First-Team” on their resume, but are focused on winning this weekend and pitching in the NCAA tournament next week.  Harley certainly proved that yesterday.  

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

One thing you can always count on with the league office is "participation trophies" going out to the Dakota schools/athletes wherever possible.

Gotta keep MIDCO, Stanford Health and all those local sponsors happy!

There is no bias’s to report here……

I’m pretty sure Mills comments knocked us out of the running for the Commissioners Cup……..😂😂😂

3 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Just to pile on a bit… I know that it sounds like ORU  “homerism” to suggest that the Summit first team starting pitchers should have been Jakob Hall, Harley Gollert, and Brooks Fowler, with closer Cade Denton as Pitcher of the Year.  But, that’s exactly why ORU finished a ridiculous 23-1 in conference play.  

I’m also pretty confident that Harley and Brooks are not terribly concerned about not having “Summit League First-Team” on their resume, but are focused on winning this weekend and pitching in the NCAA tournament next week.  Harley certainly proved that yesterday.  

I'll pile on a bit too.  If you went to the Summit League baseball tournament page this morning the first story in the picture scroll was the SDSU/NDSU game story with the ORU/Omaha write up the second story. While you could argue that was simply in chronological order....wouldn't you want to promote your dominant regular season champion that is getting national recognition both as a team and for individual players?  Or was it too embarrassing that the starting pitcher that was dominating in the win was named second team all conference.

• Upvote 1