2023 Individual and Team Accolades

Old Titan

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats to Jonah Cox!

And get a load of that picture:  nothing like road trips in the Summit League!  #smh 🥶

18 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Congrats to Jonah Cox!

And get a load of that picture:  nothing like road trips in the Summit League!  #smh 🥶

That picture is the epitome of the Summit League.

• Upvote 2

It runs in the McMurray family!! Jakes brother Cooper plays at Auburn and was just SEC player of the week. We can thank Mrs. ORU40 for this info; I told her a couple days ago Jake had 2 dingers in the game, and she told me about his bother as she is great friends with Jakes aunt, they went to HS together at Bishop Kelly which is Jakes alma mater!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cooper McMurray named SEC Player of the Week

Zach Bland/Auburn Tigers

Taylor Jones 

follow

April 24, 2023 5:00 pm CT

After a monster week at the plate, one of Auburn’s top sluggers is being recognized by the SEC.

Auburn first baseman Cooper McMurray was honored by the Southeastern Conference on Monday by being named the stand-alone baseball player of the week for his contribution to Auburn’s successful week. McMurray led the SEC in several categories last week.

Auburn’s Cooper McMurray led the SEC in home runs (5) and total bases (20) last week while tying for the league lead in runs (7) and RBI (9) to help lead his team to three wins, including a series victory against Mississippi State. McMurray hit four home runs over the weekend, including a three-run homer and a two-run shot on Sunday. He also hit a solo home run in Auburn’s one-run victory on Friday. He is the first Auburn player to homer in three straight SEC games since 2010.

McMurray homered in all three of Auburn’s weekend games with Mississippi State last weekend and homered twice in Sunday’s finale. McMurray was credited with Auburn’s first runs in all three games of the weekend series with the Bulldogs.

• Like 4

Jake McMurray's first home run Friday night was the most instantly obvious homerun I have witnessed in person.  It barely went 50 feet in the air and seemed like it was still going up when it cleared the left field fence.  I was surprised the LF even moved.  I would have loved to see the telemetry on that one.

2 hours ago, OKC Eagle said:

Jake McMurray's first home run Friday night was the most instantly obvious homerun I have witnessed in person.  It barely went 50 feet in the air and seemed like it was still going up when it cleared the left field fence.  I was surprised the LF even moved.  I would have loved to see the telemetry on that one.

Yep. Never got higher than the top of the foul pole!

I think it must be said (and maybe already has been said on this board) that what the baseball team is doing this Spring is every bit as historic as what the basketball team accomplished this Winter. 35-11 with wins over Wichita State (2x), Missouri State and Oklahoma State (2x), is very impressive. 19-1 in conference is amazing, given the amount of games in a conference season and the conditions they must endure, both weather related and travel that is required. Even though the Summit is an extremely weak conference, you still have to play the games (even in the snow) and there are many opportunities in baseball for weaker teams to upset superior squads. Moreso than in basketball. This team is not allowing that to happen. They know they need to dominate the league and that is exactly what they are doing. Let's hope we can grab another important win OOC win over *WSU on Tuesday to help strengthen the resume against good competition. Go Eagles. 

*Correction - I previously said we were playing OU on Tuesday. It is Wichita State.

• Upvote 4

So true! I’m especially impressed by the development of pitchers. 
Of course the offense is incredible too. 
We saw two games at DBU and we didn’t play well. Glad we’ve turned it around. 

4 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Something that needs to be said…

As we celebrate another Summit League Title, the return of the 2024 Tourney to JLJ, a top 25 ranking, and multiple individual and team performances ranking among the nation’s best…  let’s remember that ORU began this season with MAJOR roster turnover.  

Of the 32 roster spots in 2023, over HALF (17) were filled by newcomers.  This team was LITERALLY pieced together by Ryan Folmar and staff, and the team chemistry that has been developed so quickly is also a direct result of the coaching and support staff.  It wasn’t that long ago when many of us saw the program in decline and were questioning whether Coach Folmar was the right guy to revive it.  Those questions have been answered - emphatically!  

Congrats to Coach Folmar and staff for an INCREDIBLE recruiting and coaching job this past year.  You have given fans something to be very proud of (and a team that is very fun to watch and easy to cheer for). 👍🎉

Golden Eagles Oru GIF by Oral Roberts University

well said and thanks. 

*sigh*

Like death and taxes, give the Summit League office one excuse to honor a Dakota athlete, and it will happen.

Jonah Cox hit safely in TWICE as many games over the past few weeks - ALL of them - and is among the NATIONAL LEADERS in batting average, hits, runs, etc.

ALL against stronger mid-week competition than SDSU.

Yet another example that it's a MIDCO world, and we're all just living (and being overlooked) in it.

#smh

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

*sigh*

Like death and taxes, give the Summit League office one excuse to honor a Dakota athlete, and it will happen.

Jonah Cox hit safely in TWICE as many games over the past few weeks - ALL of them - and is among the NATIONAL LEADERS in batting average, hits, runs, etc.

Yet another example that it's a MIDCO world, and we're all just living (and being overlooked) in it.

#smh

I'm willing to let this one go.  McDonald has had a tremendous season (and a great month of April) and is currently leading the nation with a .929 slugging percentage.  He went down with a season-ending injury in the series against ORU, and will be questionable to play a full season next year.

He and Jonah Cox would have been the top two contenders for Summit League POY.  Although I still believe Jonah would have won POY with McDonald at full strength (due to Jonah's stellar defense), now Jonah will run away with it. It would've been a coin-flip for the April award between Jonah and McDonald. Call it what it is... Peak Performer for April = the consolation prize.

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

*sigh*

#smh

If I was that kid and I was aware of Jonah Cox’s accomplishments I would be embarrassed to receive this participation award from the conference.